GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport tire pressure (stock 19")

Old 07-08-14, 09:48 PM
CalMike
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport tire pressure (stock 19")

Hi Everybody! It's been a while since I've last checked in. I've been enjoying my GS F-Sport for almost a year now and just brought it in for its 10k mile service.

Until bringing the car in, I believe I was riding at about 37/38 PSI front/rear, cold start. I'm on the stock 19" wheels and original tires. I live very close to the dealership, and when I drove home, I didn't notice any difference in the ride. Ever since then though, especially on the freeway, the car has felt different to me, it feels bouncy and occasionally its handling is harder to predict. I had checked the TPMS earlier (cold start) and was surprised:

Front Left: 37 PSI Front Right: 36 PSI
Rear Left: 41 PSI Rear Right: 39 PSI

As above, the front left is now almost always 1 PSI greater than the front right, and the rear left is sometimes 2 PSI greater than the rear right, always at least 1 PSI greater. The fronts are 3-5 PSI greater than the rears (rear left is 5 PSI greater than front right). Meanwhile, the decal on the inside of the driver's door, which shows the recommended pressure for the car at cold start, states 35 PSI front/36 PSI rear. Apart from just the unevenness, that means they've got one of my tires inflated to 5 PSI more than the standard recommendation.

I can see inflating a couple PSI greater, and I can also see a fluctuation of 1 PSI between right and left as a normal possibility for even the most qualified of service technicians, especially given that the system displays integers and has to round up or down. However, I was definitely more accustomed to the ride before and am curious if the dealership inflated the tires like this for a reason. I've left a message for the service advisor who had worked with me but haven't heard back yet.

The stats above were with a cold start, I also took a photo of the TPMS after some driving once the tires had a chance to warm up (about a 3 PSI increase across the board over a cold start):

F-Sport tire pressure (stock 19")-tpms.jpg

What do you think?

Mike

Last edited by CalMike; 07-08-14 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake and redundant salutation removed
Old 07-08-14, 11:18 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeez,

You are way TOO overinflated!!! Bring the cold pressue down to 34 or 35 psi. Front and rear. You should not have to or expect the sevice people to do the pressure for you.... Get a proper digital pressure gauge and take some air out of the tires and maintain them monthly.
Old 07-08-14, 11:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I set mine to 37-38 cold. Then it could go up to 40 when hot. My max PSI on my tires is 50 something and I'm still well under it so I'm good.
Old 07-09-14, 06:02 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

35 f... 36 r...
Old 07-09-14, 09:47 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Get them filled with nitrogen and they won't fluctuate as much.
Old 07-09-14, 09:54 AM
smomin23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look on the inside of the driver's side door jamb for proper cold inflation. My AWD F-sport is 35 front and 36 rear I think I don't remember but that's where you should be going for this info
Old 07-09-14, 10:15 AM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's listed on the inside door jam of the driver door (b-pillar)
Old 07-09-14, 12:51 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Jeez,

You are way TOO overinflated!!! Bring the cold pressue down to 34 or 35 psi. Front and rear. You should not have to or expect the sevice people to do the pressure for you.... Get a proper digital pressure gauge and take some air out of the tires and maintain them monthly.
Wow calm down Rexus. Go out and check your tires, and you'll see they are rated for a max pressure of 51 psi. I didn't check the min, but it's not too far from 34.

From a performance standpoint, you would need to take the car on a track and do some test to determine the variation in temps across 3 or 4 places along the width. Then optimize the pressure so it's as close to even as possible (to truly get even temps you need to adjust the alignment).

Most of the time you'll have the best handling around 40 psi.

For the best gas mileage you'll want a higher pressure to reduce the contact patch (which reduces handling capabilities as well).

To maximize the life of the tire... I'm not sure, I never cared, but I would guess it's around 34 psi.
Old 07-09-14, 02:28 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Get them filled with nitrogen and they won't fluctuate as much.
As long as you don't have to pay for it. If you do have to pay for it, you may as well use the free air. Once filled with nitrogen you should not have such drastic fluctuations. If once you fill with nitrogen, you still have issues, you may have a bad valve or two.
Old 07-09-14, 09:46 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
Wow calm down Rexus. Go out and check your tires, and you'll see they are rated for a max pressure of 51 psi. I didn't check the min, but it's not too far from 34.

From a performance standpoint, you would need to take the car on a track and do some test to determine the variation in temps across 3 or 4 places along the width. Then optimize the pressure so it's as close to even as possible (to truly get even temps you need to adjust the alignment).

Most of the time you'll have the best handling around 40 psi.

For the best gas mileage you'll want a higher pressure to reduce the contact patch (which reduces handling capabilities as well).

To maximize the life of the tire... I'm not sure, I never cared, but I would guess it's around 34 psi.
I agree with you. However, my tires are maxed for 44 psi and they are the michelin mxm4 tires i have gotten last year and they give such a smooth and comfortable ride on my f-sport and i am happy with the long tire wear. I already put 20k on them and still have 70 percent left tread. The handling is still excellent at 34psi cold.
Old 07-11-14, 06:20 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Jeez,

That's funny.

I'm currently running at 40 front 42 rear cold, to try and even out my tread wear... dealer let down my pressures to 34/35 and I didn't catch it for a couple months.

I typically run 38F/40R cold which keeps my outside shoulders from wearing down too much quicker than the center.
Old 07-11-14, 07:44 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine are currently at 39-40 warmed up. During the super winter we had here earlier this year, they were at 35 warm and anything below that would set off the alarm. Pretty annoying to have the alarm go off in the morning then get quiet in the afternoon, every day. So I just leave them high-ish and won't have to worry about it next winter.
Old 07-12-14, 09:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You all realize that air is 78% nitrogen, right? Green tire caps are the biggest scam this side of Nigeria.
Old 07-12-14, 10:46 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

You should specify whether your talking about AWD or RWD, as the former requires lower air pressure.
Old 09-15-14, 07:07 AM
coach1
Pole Position

FYI...Yesterday the weather cooled down and I got a low pressure warning light. When I got home I inflated the tires to around 33 psi which is where I'm running these crappy Dunlops. The warning light would not reset...damn. Got the owner's manual out....went online and could not figure out what the problem was. Manual said take it to the dealer...double damn. Checked the dash read-out and it agreed with 33 psi accept one rear tire had a yellow highlight. So I inflated all the tires to 37, the warning came off and I adjusted the pressure down to around 34.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Sport tire pressure (stock 19")