GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

i Phone Messages

Old 07-08-14, 10:25 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i Phone Messages

Have just taken delivery of my new GS 350 F Sport, had two prior GS non F. It obviously is a fantastic car but I cant work out why the Message feature won't work with an i Phone and only Android. Sales guy told me about that upfront so no issue there, any workarounds that are know?

BTW my car car has a Mark Levinson as did my prior 20111 GS 350 but what a huge difference is sound.
Old 07-08-14, 10:54 AM
jeff5755
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go into your blue-tooth settings. Under the car you have to turn on "show notifications." Bam. It will now read your texts.
Old 07-08-14, 11:20 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GBFSport
Have just taken delivery of my new GS 350 F Sport, had two prior GS non F. It obviously is a fantastic car but I cant work out why the Message feature won't work with an i Phone and only Android. Sales guy told me about that upfront so no issue there, any workarounds that are know?

BTW my car car has a Mark Levinson as did my prior 20111 GS 350 but what a huge difference is sound.
You can't use the "quick response" options with an iPhone like you can with an android or blackberry.

-Joe
Old 07-08-14, 04:03 PM
georgee01
Rookie

The Lexus system provides limited support for the iPhone Messages app.

Receiving
As noted in a previous post, enabling "Show Notifications" for the CAR MULTIMEDIA Bluetooth device in your iPhone settings will allow the Lexus system to alert you to incoming messages and offer to read them. It will also display the text of the message if the vehicle is at a stop. You will get text only, no images. If messages come in rapid succession, it may miss a few. It also occasionally repeats them.

Sending / Replying
The Lexus system will not allow you to send or reply to a message from the iPhone, Quick Responses are not available. The system will also not enable the callback button to reply to an iMessage. The callback button is available to reply to an SMS message.

Using Siri
I have found that Siri works pretty well to send or reply, although it is not the most elegant solution. Hold down the off-hook button on the steering wheel until you hear the Siri beep and see the "Personal Assistant" screen on the Lexus system. Say "Send a message to John". Siri will respond with "What would you like to say to John Smith". Say a short message after the beep. Siri will read it back and ask if you want to send it. Say Yes or No, depending on if she got it right.

Last edited by georgee01; 07-10-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 11:13 PM
Dana60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeff5755
go into your blue-tooth settings. Under the car you have to turn on "show notifications." bam. It will now read your texts.
x2

works perfect!
Old 07-10-14, 08:06 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

Thanks to all, it does work great for text messages, it is a shame though that it won't work for emails.
Old 07-11-14, 09:19 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks to all, it does work great for text messages, it is a shame though that it won't work for emails.
Emails are much more complicated. Just look at one of your email threads with the header information, signatures etc. How would is know what to read and what to skip?
Old 07-12-14, 02:04 PM
georgee01
Rookie

If you're using an iPhone with Siri, you can press the off hook button on the steering wheel to bring up the Personal Assistant and say something like, "read my new email", or "read my last email from Judy". After Siri reads each email, she'll ask, "would you like to reply". If you say yes, you can dictate a short reply, she'll read it back and ask if you want to send it.
Old 07-13-14, 06:55 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgee01
If you're using an iPhone with Siri, you can press the off hook button on the steering wheel to bring up the Personal Assistant and say something like, "read my new email", or "read my last email from Judy". After Siri reads each email, she'll ask, "would you like to reply". If you say yes, you can dictate a short reply, she'll read it back and ask if you want to send it.
which is the oof the hook button? Will this work with 2013 4gs?
Old 07-14-14, 08:41 AM
georgee01
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcolommena
which is the oof the hook button? Will this work with 2013 4gs?
Siri support was introduced for the 2014 model year. The implementation is somewhat inelegant in that you use the phone off-hook button on the steering wheel rather than the Voice Command button when invoking Siri.You have to think about which voice system you want to use, and which button to press.
Attached Thumbnails i Phone Messages-siri-button.jpg  
Old 07-14-14, 12:20 PM
GBFSport
Rookie

Thanks, the Siri method does work only weird thing is that Siri in my car is a man and on my iphone It's a woman.
Old 07-15-14, 01:34 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Thanks, the Siri method does work only weird thing is that Siri in my car is a man and on my iphone It's a woman.
The voice gender is selectable in the iPhone settings. General -> Siri -> Voice Gender
Old 07-15-14, 01:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

What thaa hell?!! lol

Maybe there's another Siri living in your car.

It should be the same with whatever is set on the phone.
Old 07-21-14, 03:39 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It should be the same with whatever is set on the phone.
You can set Siri Voice Prompts to Always or Handsfree Only, but that does not affect the Voice Gender setting.

Gender should be the same for both modes, although stranger things have happened. You might try restarting the phone and see what the voice genders are in each mode after it restarts.
Old 07-21-14, 06:48 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

i tried the show notification option and nothing happen while connected to the car. also, has anyone noticed the "contact image for incoming calls" option? it's set to be on but no pics pop up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i Phone Messages