GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the F-Sport more popular than the Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 02:17 PM
Gruu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the F-Sport more popular than the Luxury?

Based on what a co-worker said about the 2013 GS350 that he's currently leasing and comments that I've seen here, I get the impression that the F-Sport model is more popular and selling better than the luxury model. As I said, I don't have any hard numbers to back this; it's just an impression I get, so I might be wrong.

Anyway, assuming that it is true, I'm curious why, given that the F-Sport is more expensive but doesn't have any more power. I know that it has better braking and handling, but ... it also has aluminum trim instead of wood, and I'm not a fan of aluminum trim. I also bias towards luxury over sport. (I have a 2005 ES 330 right now but feel like the ES has been going downhill over time.) Am I just in the minority among prospective GS buyers?

For those of you who purchased an F-Sport, what made you choose it over the Luxury?
Old 07-07-14, 02:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I see more FSport than Non-FSport on the streets here too, which makes the Non-FSport like mine kinda... rare.

But I still like the FSport styling more, but regular GS isn't bad either. lol
Old 07-07-14, 03:00 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was looking for my GS I considered used vehicles and there were TONS of non-FSport and Luxury cars available but few FSports.

In response to seeing more FSport related posts here, that's simple. People who put time into car forums are going to be enthusiast and are much more likely to get a premium model and don't consider the 5-6k increased cost as a big enough deterrent. You're less likely to see someone who bought a base model on here, or someone who is concerned about having separate AC controls for the back seat.

In regard to FSport over Luxury, I didn't see anything in the Luxury that I needed while the FSport had nearly everything I wanted. The adaptive cruise control and dynamic steering would have been great, but those were special order options and I wasn't going to get the discount I wanted on a special order.

Also I believe the FSport has much lower production numbers than the other two models, and that's according to the sales guy I dealt with. I've been told my multiple dealers that the FSports are rare compared to their Luxury counterparts (and that was true of both the 2013's and 2014s)

Lastly, and off topic, I think the ES is finally becoming a decent car. I had a loaner ES330 years ago while my IS was being serviced, and since I was racing the IS back then I might have abused the ES heavily . About 6 months ago I had a loaner ES350 (14) and was really impressed with the car compared to the older model. Granted the price has gone up, but all of Lexus' prices have increased over the last 10-15 years. I was more impressed with the handling, the engine performance, as well as the interior compared to my previous impression.
Old 07-07-14, 04:24 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in TN, it is the opposite ..... Plenty of RWD F-Sport's and Premium's . Luxury is hard to find and most are all AWD drives. They only alot a limited number per dealership in a year. Lux GS are more expensive than F-Sports most of the time, depending how the F is optioned out, though I believe its the best of both worlds with the Lux.
Performance and Comfort ... if you have never sat in the 18 way LUX seats, try them, most say they are the best on the market.

According to my sources .... it depends on your region as to productions types and numbers. Another thing to consider is that money rates are also different between the models if you are planning on leasing .... with Lux being a higher rate than a F-Sport, at least in our region.

We have been considering a AWD GS Lux and will have to get the car from KY or special order.
Lux RWD are special order as well in our region.
Old 07-07-14, 06:16 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

In NYC, I rarely see F-sports. Mostly non-F, not sure luxury or premium though.
Old 07-07-14, 06:48 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

It's about 50/50 here. I wanted an F-Sport at first but I kinda like the wood better. Non F-Sport is the best of both worlds with wood trim but still a sporty edge. I can't stand to see the base model with the 17" wheels though. Looks soo cheap.
Old 07-07-14, 06:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I would rather have gotten the F-Sport, but it's my wife's car and she didn't like the Aluminum, the interior color choices and a few other things. The Luxury has more features, and with the dynamic adjustable suspension it has a "sport" mode that is a great compromise. I wish Lexus allowed more individuality in their options, but they don't, so it forces many of us into compromising what we get.
Old 07-07-14, 07:05 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived and visit LA I see more F Sports. Here in Philly I see more non F Sport cars.

I got the F Sport for the same reasons most on here do, the agressive look of the front bumper, staggered fitment (in the case of the RWD) as well as the wheels, black headliner, aluminum trim and the main selling point....the cabernet red interior.

In fact I bought a black car which is not one of my first choices because of the added maintenance but the only 2 cars that Longo had with cabernet were black at that time.
Old 07-07-14, 07:11 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally Posted by MH6
Here in TN, it is the opposite ..... Plenty of RWD F-Sport's and Premium's . Luxury is hard to find and most are all AWD drives. They only alot a limited number per dealership in a year. Lux GS are more expensive than F-Sports most of the time, depending how the F is optioned out, though I believe its the best of both worlds with the Lux.
Performance and Comfort ... if you have never sat in the 18 way LUX seats, try them, most say they are the best on the market.

According to my sources .... it depends on your region as to productions types and numbers. Another thing to consider is that money rates are also different between the models if you are planning on leasing .... with Lux being a higher rate than a F-Sport, at least in our region.

We have been considering a AWD GS Lux and will have to get the car from KY or special order.
Lux RWD are special order as well in our region.
Okay I think to clarify the terms you're using, there is an Luxury, F-Sport, Navigation, and Premium, ranked in the order of general cost, but the F-Sport comes out as the most expensive when you add the Dynamic Steering. The Luxury term is only used by the dealerships at this point, and you can't build out a Luxury package on Lexus.com (at least is socal, and Nashville).

The one Luxury I was able to find was $100 more than an F-Sport RWD without Dynamic Steering, excluding the 450h. AWD vehicles are priced higher than the Lux versions, but I haven't seen a Lux AWD at the three dealers I checked. As far as performance, the F-Sport is the pinnacle, while all other 350's are lower down because they don't have the upgraded suspension and braking system. The 450h is faster, but doesn't have the suspension and brake upgrades (please let me know if this is wrong).

In regard to the 18 way Lux seats. Have you sat in the 16 way F-Sport? The 18 way seats are only available in the 450h, you can't get them in a 350. Again at least not in SoCal or Nashville according to Lexus.com

It sounds like you're taking about a 450h when you say Luxury, even though dealers don't distinguish between the two?
Old 07-07-14, 08:35 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
In regard to the 18 way Lux seats. Have you sat in the 16 way F-Sport? The 18 way seats are only available in the 450h, you can't get them in a 350. Again at least not in SoCal or Nashville according to Lexus.com

It sounds like you're taking about a 450h when you say Luxury, even though dealers don't distinguish between the two?
Luxury is referring to the GS 350 Luxury Package which I do not believe is available on the hybrid.

Mine is a '14 GS 350 AWD, Luxury Pkg, Cold weather Package, Power Trunk, Power Mirrors, Mats, Trunk carpet and Applique, Navigation, Park Assist wBSM. At best a see 50-50 F-sport non-F-sport (Hybrid, Base and Luxury) in the philly burbs. It sold for $61053 when purchase which I believe puts is in the same range as the F-Sport or slightly more not including special order options.

The Luxury package includes 18 way seats, rear air and radio controls, wood steering wheel, power rear sunshade, manual rear side shades, adaptive front lighting, dual pane front windows, AVS (adaptive variable suspension, Sport+ mode, 3-zone climate control, 18 inch wheels, semi-analine leather, among other items. From previous posts I believe the primary performance related items the F-Sport gives you is slightly different springs and suspension, more adaptive steering larger tires and many cosmetic styling differences.
Old 07-07-14, 09:17 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Christobol.... I guess I should use the term Luxury "package" on a AWD. Those are packages that are applied to a GS.
My dealer is Lexus of Cool Springs TN.
Lexus of Nashville is about 20 minutes closer to me, but loyal customer of Cool Springs.
They get a limited number of GS RWD and AWD with Luxury package 's a year, once they are sold, you have to special order which takes 90-120 days. Built in Japan and shipped to Jacksonville Fla. then trucked directly to Nashville/Cool Springs.

The AWD GS''s with Lux package in our area also come with the cold weather package as part of the build for this region. At present I believe the only AWD they have is a F-Sport AWD at the moment or as of last week.

If you go further north ...Lexus of Louisville , they have a much larger number of AWD models delivered to them on a yearly basis because of colder temps. They currently have several 2014 AWD Luxury/cold weather equipped GS'S. If we follow through, we will most likely choose one from up there and then have trucked down.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you about the 18 way seats only being avail on 450h, I have never looked at that model and never have seen anything stated to that effect, but have driven 2 awd luxury/cold weather GS's at Cool Springs earlier in the year, and that is where we experienced them. The luxury package includes both driver and passenger 18 way seats along with duel climate control for driver and passenger, not talking about just temps, talking about separate air flow control with a dual readout in the screen, very cool. This seems to be rarely mentioned as part of the package. I have sat in the F-Sport 16 way, which is only the driver, not passenger, very nice as well. The 2 extra controls are for mid back and mid fin adjustments if I remember correctly...... may be wrong about that.

Also the Luxury packages includes SPORT and SPORT+ controls, including variable suspension. No large braking calipers or aggressive front end ... the F-Sport front end looks better than the standard front to me.
The wood trim of the Luxury package looks better than the Alum trim of the F-Sport in my humble opinion.
Old 07-07-14, 10:06 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally Posted by MH6
The wood trim of the Luxury package looks better than the Alum trim of the F-Sport in my humble opinion.
I agree that the wood looks better! I wish someone would come out with a carbon kit to I can pull out all of the alum especially to get rid of the minor glare.

Oddly enough I can't find a way to build a Luxury version of the car. I remember being able to build an Ultra Luxury car back at the beginning of the year but it's no longer possible. I wonder if Lexus is diminishing the production of the Ultra Luxury package? Unless there is a difference between the Luxury and Ultra Luxury.

I tried using a Nashville zip code to build the car, and a CA sip code as well without finding a luxury option. I do remember finding that I could get a Luxury/Ultra Luxury build for the same price as an F Sport, and learned to distinguish the difference in which car is which based solely on the MSRP. I thought it was interesting that the MSRP is basically a serial number that tells you everything that is on the car (I think).
Old 07-07-14, 10:23 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ended up choosing the F-Sport over the Luxury based on the F-Sport steering wheel (didn't like the wood steering wheel of the luxury) and the F-Sport exterior styling (front grill and wheels).
Old 07-07-14, 11:07 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally love the f sports exterior styling compared to the luxury. The luxury has a very boring and bland front, but thats okay because all of its competitors have a boring front for the entry model.
Old 07-08-14, 03:27 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I think its because more of the non-f-sports are owned by an older crowd as opposed to the F-Sports which are owned but the younger crowd not saying all like that but most of them are and hence why not many on forum. I never see F-Sports I find those rare I see more base and luxury versions in my area.

Quick Reply: Why is the F-Sport more popular than the Luxury?