GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the F-Sport more popular than the Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 06:27 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The aluminum goes with the "sport" nameplate.
Old 07-16-14, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Luxury models were plentiful on lots in 2013...
Old 09-01-14, 04:46 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Europe is sold more Luxury packages. Bought by older customers.

Younger customers buy BMWs and me F-Sport
Old 09-01-14, 07:01 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
Here in Europe is sold more Luxury packages. Bought by older customers.

Younger customers buy BMWs and me F-Sport
Yep I'm 21 and have an F Sport, I couldn't imagine having the luxury. Actually I turned 22 yesterday. I'm getting old?!? Jk
Old 09-01-14, 09:02 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 72, going on 21, and I think my F-Sport is cool. Wood trim has spelled luxury for a while, from Bentleys to Mercedes, but at some point it got old for me. And it isn't just the styling that I like....performance is backed by the name. Lexus has put out some Toyota like product but I do like what they have done here.
Old 09-01-14, 09:51 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coach1
I'm 72, going on 21, and I think my F-Sport is cool. Wood trim has spelled luxury for a while, from Bentleys to Mercedes, but at some point it got old for me. And it isn't just the styling that I like....performance is backed by the name. Lexus has put out some Toyota like product but I do like what they have done here.
You hit the nail on the head. Sometimes luxury gets old and it's nice to have objects that are nearly sexually attractive, such as the F Sport "line" that lexus has introduced. I think even lexus might have got a little bored with themselves so now they're trying to "sex" it up, and I like it!!
Old 09-01-14, 10:17 AM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted for the 2014 GS350 AWD with the Canadian Luxury & Tech package. NO radar cruise or park asst. but with HUD, BSM, & ML. I have the adjustable suspension and steering ratio ( S, S+ drive mode) and the AWD (a must) negates Rear steer. The F sport, at least in Canada is lacking some creature comforts I like. I would have liked the red interior with the liquid platinum on my car but black is good on the 18 way seats with power bolsters.
I don't care about the aluminum pedals but would have liked the F sport steering wheel. The steering wheel and front brakes with the larger rotors and pads are all I feel I'm missing but the extras I have more than make up for it. Oh yeah, I'm 58 doing repeated victory laps on 25.

Last edited by ohsown; 09-01-14 at 10:19 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 09-01-14, 03:00 PM
wgu8213
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Yep I'm 21 and have an F Sport, I couldn't imagine having the luxury. Actually I turned 22 yesterday. I'm getting old?!? Jk
I'm 24 and I got the luxury trim. I'd rather have more luxury features (the upgraded leather alone is worth it)! It might not be the sportiest version available but it's sportier than the 08 Honda Civic EXL Coupe I traded in!
Old 09-01-14, 03:11 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wgu8213
I'm 24 and I got the luxury trim. I'd rather have more luxury features (the upgraded leather alone is worth it)! It might not be the sportiest version available but it's sportier than the 08 Honda Civic EXL Coupe I traded in!
I think the whole 4th Gen GS was probably an upgrade from the last, Lexus did really well on it. I like all GS models! But I always fall for the S Line, M Sport or F Sport type of packages.
Old 09-01-14, 07:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by N54MPower
I got the F Sport for the same reasons most on here do, the agressive look of the front bumper, staggered fitment (in the case of the RWD) as well as the wheels, black headliner, aluminum trim and the main selling point....the cabernet red interior.
Ditto for me, plus the DRS system. I also see many more F Sports in my general vicinity in Dallas metro than non- F Sports. Although Lexus' wood is nice (especially the striated wood) I haven't had a car with wood trim in 9 years. All my previous Infinitis and Audis had aluminum trim. Yes, wood is luxurious, but also very "old school" to me.

Last edited by dseag2; 09-01-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 07:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Ditto for me, plus the DRS system. I also see many more F Sports in my general vicinity in Dallas metro than non- F Sports. Although Lexus' wood is nice (especially the striated wood) I haven't had a car with wood trim in 9 years. All my previous Infinitis and Audis had aluminum trim. Yes, wood is luxurious, but also very "old school" to me.
I get the comments about the wood, although I like it in our "Luxury". But I wish they would offer carbon fiber in the F-Sport. I'm just not a fan of the aluminum.
Old 09-01-14, 07:20 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wgu8213
The interesting thing about the "Luxury" package is that it actually has a pretty damn good "Sport +" setting that firms up the steering, suspension and shifting to the point that it would rank pretty high in the sport sedan segment with the F-Sport wheels/tires. I have a BMW 550 with the M-Sport package and our Luxury GS is really a noticeably better sport sedan than that car is……well, except for the 400hp/450lb ft of torque. Dear Lord, would that 550 engine make the GS something special.
Old 09-01-14, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I get the comments about the wood, although I like it in our "Luxury". But I wish they would offer carbon fiber in the F-Sport. I'm just not a fan of the aluminum.
To each his own. I could have ordered Carbon Fiber in my Audi S5 rather than the standard aluminum, but I liked the way the bright pieces ligthened up the interior. Although I know it is "all the rage" I'm not a fan of carbon fiber.
Old 09-01-14, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

This is why options are good. They should have optional trims like BMW and MB do.
Old 09-01-14, 11:36 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am seeing more and more F Sports around Dallas, but the majority I see are still non-F. I always look for the fog lights as the car approaches to see what type it is. That said, Lexus has sold a whole lot of new models in my neck of the woods. In order of popularity: IS 250/350, ESx, GS350 Lux, GS350 F Sport. The price probably has a lot to do with it, although the IS 250 loaner I had last time was pretty impressive, minus the hilariously small nav screen. I can see how the automotive press would go nuts for the IS350. Chassis felt great, but the 250 is lacking power big time.

That's the worst part of owning a GS350 F Sport really. The dealer will never give you a loaner that matches it. I had a CT200 once (oh lord it was bad) followed by an IS250. Those loaners forced me to drive like a granny. Nothing like coming home to my car and having that power back on tap.

Quick Reply: Why is the F-Sport more popular than the Luxury?