GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What's your plan after the 4GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I'm actually going to agree with you, the LS is not as sporty as it could be but it is getting there. The 2014 BMW 750 which is a better comparison is better than the LS, that car handles and feels like a 3 series car maybe I'm over stepping but I pushed that car and it felt so well planted and didn't feel like the Mercedes S class which to be honest the Lexus LS falls right in between the BMW 7 and the S class. I still love the LS and would still get one, but in terms of performance the LS is working its way there but is not there yet.
"Better" is a subjective term. Personally I would never select a 7 Series over an LS, and I don't really want the LS to be "sportier" than it is. I'm not really a "sporty" car person, I bought the GS despite its sporty nature quite frankly. I'm all for a sportier F Sport model and leave the basic car as a cushy, silent, library like cruiser.

I wouldn't at all say that a 7 series is like a 3 series though. Its heavy, big, ponderous...feels livlier than the LS but its hardly a sporty car.
Old 07-03-14, 08:50 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
"Better" is a subjective term. Personally I would never select a 7 Series over an LS, and I don't really want the LS to be "sportier" than it is. I'm not really a "sporty" car person, I bought the GS despite its sporty nature quite frankly. I'm all for a sportier F Sport model and leave the basic car as a cushy, silent, library like cruiser.

I wouldn't at all say that a 7 series is like a 3 series though. Its heavy, big, ponderous...feels livlier than the LS but its hardly a sporty car.
Yeah I meant the F-sport model didn't put that in, my fault. Yeah take the 3 series comment with a grain of salt. What I meant in that was it feels lighter than the other big cars out there.
Old 07-03-14, 09:35 AM
georgee01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how they measure rear legroom, but by edmunds measurements the GS has more rear legroom than the LS or my 2010 ES...but in reality thats not the case for either by a long shot. I suppose maybe its purely length of the rear passenger footboard to the front seat anchors or something?.
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard for interior dimensions is J1100. You can find it on the web, it's not a light read.

Under SAE guidelines, legroom is measured using an H-point machine (for hip-point), a mechanical device with a single leg and adjustable joints that “sits” on a seat. It is not a linear measurement but a curve based on several points. Rear legroom is measured with the front seat all the way back.
Attached Thumbnails What's your plan after the 4GS?-h-point.jpg  
Old 07-03-14, 09:57 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The 750 is in the 90k range, the 740 (6 cylinder) is easily in the 75-85k range. My LS F sport had a list MSRP of 87k. I also considered the A8 L diesel (the 800 mile range was just amazing to me) and it was in the 90k range but you could get an A8 6 cylinder for the same price as a V-8 LS.

And jjscsix I've stated quite a few times for all intents and purposes, the 5 series is the complete car for most people.
I agree that BMWs cover a much broader range of pricing per model.

For what it's worth this is my first BMW and might be my last. It is VERY good in many ways, but has some VERY annoying things that drive me nuts. I have about nine months left on the lease and don't know what I'm going to get next.
Old 07-03-14, 11:03 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I agree that BMWs cover a much broader range of pricing per model.

For what it's worth this is my first BMW and might be my last. It is VERY good in many ways, but has some VERY annoying things that drive me nuts. I have about nine months left on the lease and don't know what I'm going to get next.
What drives you nuts about your BMW? I was considering the 528 (for the fuel economy), but I knew I would hate myself a month later for getting that I4 engine.
Old 07-03-14, 01:45 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
What drives you nuts about your BMW? I was considering the 528 (for the fuel economy), but I knew I would hate myself a month later for getting that I4 engine.
I had a 528 loaner and was actually very impressed with it.

What drives me nuts about the 550 is that it is hard to drive smoothly for one. It starts in second gear, but if you breath on the gas just THISSSSS much pulling away from a stop and it downshifts to first suddenly and is very abrupt. Slowing down below about 20 mph is also not smooth when you take your foot off the gas - probably a combination of the regenerative braking, downshifting etc.

Other things that make me nuts is that you have to pull the door handle (inside the car) twice for it to first unlock the door, then open it. You have to push the start/stop button twice to turn the car off (or it stays in accessory mode for 8 minutes or until you lock the car from the outside - which I don't in the garage). The navigation is a nightmare to program, fortunately I don't use it very often.

These are my biggest complains, but what is so bad is that you notice them every time you drive the car. Obviously you learn to live with them, but they are still annoying as hell. BTW, the 528 does not have the first problem as it starts in first gear. You can also have the door unlock problem fixed by coding it out (read the forum to find out about coding).

The car goes down the road great - very solid, quiet etc. The car really does have a lot of good attributes. Sadly, when it comes to cars I am seriously picky and biatchy. BTW, most of my cars over the years have been Japanese, with a fair number of American cars (mainly trucks, Tahoes and Corvettes).
Old 07-04-14, 01:34 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Better" is a subjective term.
Well said. But this is what makes our interests and being here in this forum vibrant. Objective is usually dull and written once to suffice:-)
Old 07-04-14, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, and that was the poi nt of this thread. It's interesting to see everybody's future plans and how they differ.
Old 07-04-14, 08:57 AM
harryra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very interesting thread....A future after your current GS would depend a lot on your own financial status at the time of decision wouldn't it? Also, boredom or apathy might set in. For me I had 3 LS's in the garage over a 10 year period....Finally got bored with the LS and replaced it with the Merc S-class. I never looked back until getting a GS a month ago. Would I consider another Lexus in the next couple of years....only time will tell.....Maybe I'll be broke and have to sell my exotics....lol...
Old 07-06-14, 09:08 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

My wife is wanting something more sporty when our GS350 F-Sport runs out in Dec. 15. I think she gets a little jealous of my Audi SQ5's performance. We will probably start looking to trade sometime between August - Dec 15.

Our short list includes:

- GS-F (if it is out by then)
- RC-F or RC 350 F-Sport
- Jaguar F-Type
- Acura NSX (if it is out by then)
- Corvette
- Audi RS5
- Audi RS7
Old 07-07-14, 07:04 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know a lot of the 4GS members are coming up on the end of 3 year leases. I'm about half way through mine, I usually trade 6 months early, so I've got roughly a year left. Certainly too soon to shop...but I figured it would be fun to see what the rest of you were thinking about doing next.

Me? I'm not sure. I might buy the GS, but probably not. I love the GS, so I could definitely see myself upgrading to a 2016 refresh model. Or...I'm seriously considering going for it and upgrading to an LS...which is really what I've always wanted. We'll see how the leases look a year from now.

Looking forward to the responses.
LS FTW...
Old 07-07-14, 11:50 PM
DJRafu
Driver School Candidate

Well, coming from BMW's, E46 M3 vert, E93 M3, E60 M5, this is my first Lexus. I was seriously looking at a F10 535 M Sport but the wife wanted a CT. I was totally against the idea but after we bought it and drove it home, I was thoroughly impressed with how Lexus had evolved over the years and decided to make my first Lexus purchase. So far I'm liking what I see and I don't see my SA as much as I did with BMW so I think I'll stick with Lexus for a while. Maybe trade up when the GS-F comes out? Who knows.
Old 07-08-14, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
LS FTW...
I gotta keep up with you! Lol
Old 07-09-14, 08:47 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Personally, I don't get the LS. It's the big, rolling sofa of the Lexus line. It's for the senior set or people who need to pack a lot of stuff. The GS is all you need for sporty driving and as a daily driver (the IS is too small for a daily driver unless the owner is on the physically small side or extremely young).

Right now, after my lease is up in 2015, I'm thinking there can be only one car for me to pick next: Jaguar F-Type R Coupe.
Old 07-09-14, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS is the ultimate Lexus, it's the original Lexus that the entire brand was designed around.

As I've said before, the GS is fine for me except the back seat is too small, and I appreciate the added smoother and quieter ride and additional refinement of the LS.

Quick Reply: What's your plan after the 4GS?