GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS design question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 11:16 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own both 3gs and 4gs....currently.

Interior-wise, the 4gs has the 3gs beaten by a mile and a half. The 4gs exudes luxury from the LED accent lights peaking out of the trim on the door, center consoles, and ***** to the leather-stitched dash to that huge screen. The lights are very subtle so try sitting in the 4gs at night to see for yourself. The 3gs doesn't even have wood on the dash; it is only on the doors and center console. IMO, the 4gs has the best interior in its class. I can't say the same about the 3gs during its time.

Exterior-wise, the 3gs sits lower than the 4gs (biggest wheel gap I have ever seen). Yet the 4gs looks sportier due to its aggressive styling. The half-*** spindle grille, although very polarizing, screams, "This is not your grandfather's Lexus!" I, on the one hand, love the grille. I just wished Lexus would have gone full spindle or at least make it similar to the LS. IMO, large grilles belong on a luxury vehicle ala Bentleys, RRs, etc...not that the GS is on their level. Lots of people find the rear bland. I, on the other hand, really like it with its L-shaped taillights and rear diffuser. There is elegance in its simplicity. As for the rear of the 3gs, those tail lights are simply hideous, IMO. The side profile of both cars has that "GS look." No mistaking it for any other car. Although the ES does look very similar now (hate that it does). The exterior on the 4gs didn't wow me at first. But I have to say it has grown on me tremendously and I now prefer it to the other cars in its class. It did help that I did some modifications.

Performance-wise, both cars carry the same engine under their hoods so no need to expound on it. The 4gs has a sportier ride compared to the floatiness of the 3gs. But the ride can be adjusted via AVS.

In the end, choose the car that you like so you don't have any buyer's remorse. From your post, it doesn't seem like the 4gs is for you. Remember, you view your car 90% of the time from the interior. If the interior doesn't speak to you, then maybe this car isn't for you. And to give you perspective, my previous cars include 2 Honda Preludes, a BMW 325, and a MINI Cooper S. Hope this helps. Good luck on your search and please post what you end up buying.

Last edited by obturator; 06-26-14 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 12:50 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

To add to @obturator's comparison:

The first thing I noticed when testing driving the 4GS was the MUCH stiffer steering. It just felt so much better, and that was in "Normal" mode. Driving in Sport S+ is even better. So yeah, they're the same engine, but the suspension and sportiness of the 4GS puts it ahead.

I haven't really noticed that the 4GS sits any higher than the 3GS. I'm coming from both versions being an AWD, so they both sit high to me. The 19" wheels on the 4GS (F-Sport) helps to knock that down somewhat though.
Old 06-26-14, 01:18 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Noticed height and wheel gap when I first parked the cars next to each other in the garage... Huge difference. I'm lowered on tanabes now and height of cars are about even.

Last edited by obturator; 06-26-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 06:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I owned two 2GS's and I loved the style inside and out. I also loved the style of the 3GS but didn't like the interior. I felt Lexus had taken a step back in quality.

After a series of Infinitis and Audis, it was the 4GS that drew me back to Lexus. The exterior styling is nice (I've learned to appreciate it more after 2 years of ownership), but like others have said it was the interior that sold me. The Cabernet/black/aluminum combo still wows me after all this time.

But, again, each individual's taste is different so don't buy something you'll regret owning.
Old 06-27-14, 04:22 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

The interior quality is excellent, what I dont like is the design of the dash, I hate how around the edges where the screen is they have rounded edges, it just looks blahh
Old 06-27-14, 04:35 AM
BigAnthony
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from an 07GS AWD to a 13GS F-sport AWD. Driving position is quite different. The 07' was a lower position and not as comfortable. This was much improved on my F-sport. I'm a big guy (6'1" - 300lbs) I am much more comfortable in my F-sport. rear seat room is better on the 13' as well. The F-sport is faster but much worse on fuel. I think the F-sport looks great but the LS is awesome. The LS is way more comfortable. Rear seat comfort is amazing in the LS. I think the LS may even get better fuel milage.
Old 06-27-14, 05:42 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 96 GS300, 98 GS400, 02 GS430, 07 GS450h, and now a 2013 GS350 Lux model... Though styling has improved over the years IMO but where Lexus improved on some things they stepped back in others.. For example I've noticed that with every model the carpet isn't as think and plush including the rugs which I think makes a huge difference witch cabin noise. I feel like my GS400 was way quieter then my GSh and I'm still on the fense with my 13GS because it has double pane windows and still doesn't seem as quiet to me. The drive and handeling on the 4GS is superior to all it's older siblings exterior styling is way more agressive it takes some getting used to but I don't think it's flattering at all in photos if it's not modded or lowered. OP I say go out and spend some time with one that you like the color combo to drive it sit in it park your 3GS next to it abd compare.. I don't regret my purchase the 4GS is a beautiful car
Old 06-27-14, 08:27 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

why does it matter if we like it? You need to like it in order to buy the car regardless of what we think....Kind of a pointless and obviously question at the same time. Of course we like it. I personally hated the Bamboo interior otherwise I would have gotten the hybrid.
Old 06-27-14, 10:03 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@Minty - I get your point, but it sounds like the OP isn't sure about the style and design and just wanted to know others' opinions. There have been times where I was sure I was NOT going to like something, but was persuaded to try it and I ended up liking it after all. Sometimes you just want to hear opinions from people who know what its like to live w/ a product daily. Makes sense to ask actual owners.
Old 06-27-14, 11:49 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I own both 3gs and 4gs....currently.

Interior-wise, the 4gs has the 3gs beaten by a mile and a half. The 4gs exudes luxury from the LED accent lights peaking out of the trim on the door, center consoles, and ***** to the leather-stitched dash to that huge screen. The lights are very subtle so try sitting in the 4gs at night to see for yourself. The 3gs doesn't even have wood on the dash; it is only on the doors and center console. IMO, the 4gs has the best interior in its class. I can't say the same about the 3gs during its time.

Exterior-wise, the 3gs sits lower than the 4gs (biggest wheel gap I have ever seen). Yet the 4gs looks sportier due to its aggressive styling. The half-*** spindle grille, although very polarizing, screams, "This is not your grandfather's Lexus!" I, on the one hand, love the grille. I just wished Lexus would have gone full spindle or at least make it similar to the LS. IMO, large grilles belong on a luxury vehicle ala Bentleys, RRs, etc...not that the GS is on their level. Lots of people find the rear bland. I, on the other hand, really like it with its L-shaped taillights and rear diffuser. There is elegance in its simplicity. As for the rear of the 3gs, those tail lights are simply hideous, IMO. The side profile of both cars has that "GS look." No mistaking it for any other car. Although the ES does look very similar now (hate that it does). The exterior on the 4gs didn't wow me at first. But I have to say it has grown on me tremendously and I now prefer it to the other cars in its class. It did help that I did some modifications.

Performance-wise, both cars carry the same engine under their hoods so no need to expound on it. The 4gs has a sportier ride compared to the floatiness of the 3gs. But the ride can be adjusted via AVS.

In the end, choose the car that you like so you don't have any buyer's remorse. From your post, it doesn't seem like the 4gs is for you. Remember, you view your car 90% of the time from the interior. If the interior doesn't speak to you, then maybe this car isn't for you. And to give you perspective, my previous cars include 2 Honda Preludes, a BMW 325, and a MINI Cooper S. Hope this helps. Good luck on your search and please post what you end up buying.
The 4gs comments are spot on, i think the diffuser is one of the best features of the car, the spindle grills are very nice too. I can't believe people are complaining about it. Lexus had no front design before this

and the 3gs comment about the taillights is further from the truth IMO. I think the rear taillights are really nice and the best part of the car
Old 06-27-14, 12:03 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I hate the rear of the new GS. The front looks good
Old 06-27-14, 12:10 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Well... I drove the 4GS yesterday. It was a good price but it wasn't the color combo I prefer but I think I will find what I want in the next few weeks. I have read every word of everyone's responses to my initial question/comments and so thank you all. (despite some of the comments, this is why we have a forum to bounce questions and ideas off each other in lieu of going to someone who has never driven one of our cars and is clueless) I do admit that the 4GS does feel better than the 3GS and the comfort is amazing. I really appreciate the detailed posting regarding the accent lighting at night because that sounds much better than the 3GS. It is a much tighter ride which I really like too. I think I will end up getting the 4G for sure.... Could I have read the 4G does not have the folding mirrors? Just curious while I am thinking about it. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-14, 12:11 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blacksun
@Minty - I get your point, but it sounds like the OP isn't sure about the style and design and just wanted to know others' opinions. There have been times where I was sure I was NOT going to like something, but was persuaded to try it and I ended up liking it after all. Sometimes you just want to hear opinions from people who know what its like to live w/ a product daily. Makes sense to ask actual owners.

Thank you!.. Yes that's why I come here.
Old 06-27-14, 12:13 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

My advice 1. drive the GS in D mode, slow and fast see how the trany reacts when you go from slow to fast, but if the money is right get the AWD
Old 06-27-14, 12:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

The 4GS does have auto folding mirrors. The 2014 models though.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS design question