GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery replacement suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 10:50 AM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery replacement suggestions...

My battery is bad and I need a replacement. Looking online there are sooo many options and numbers that I dont understand.

What brands to avoid?
What range of CCA should I be looking for?
What battery group/size do I need?

I bought the car used and apparently the battery is not the stock battery so Lexus wouldn't warranty it and I don't want to pay $230 for one of theirs. I like Optima batteries, but they don't show an application for the GS350, let alone any 2013 Lexus.
Old 06-25-14, 12:10 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I've always had great luck with Interstate batteries. As far as the size, have you checked your owner's manual to see if it shows that info?
Old 06-25-14, 12:11 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Batteries are usually have 2y warranty
Old 06-25-14, 12:16 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have good experience with Interstate Batteries and I'm NW area so I have Mega Tron Plus in my Sienna, more CCA than stock battery, so far no issues after 15 months. It's the exact same size with the GS just opposite on the terminal. And the Sienna are loaded with rear entertainment video, ipad charger, couple GPS, 2 dash cam running 24/7, AC converter. I had issues with my Sienna stock battery before if I leave the ignition in accessory mode for more than 30 minutes the battery will exhaust and won't start the engine, now I could run it almost twice the time and the engine still start-able.

The original Panasonic battery in my GS getting weaker now, cutting off the dashcam when I turn off the car with the headlight on so I'll replace it soon.

Here is the link for your GS: (I got it around $130)

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number
Old 06-25-14, 12:17 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I got lexus to pay for a Optima Red top battery. Had to put a couple of pieces of foam tape over the corners of the upper battery brace to make it snug, and the battery connector bent a little on the positive, but it's a ton better than the poor stock battery. 3 mo old car and it wouldn't turn over. Never had issues with optima
Old 06-25-14, 12:31 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

its a 24 series battery, and its ur option to what u want to put, but the best one in the market is the Optima batteries, u get what u pay for.
Old 06-25-14, 12:48 PM
Polo708
Driver

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
its a 24 series battery, and its ur option to what u want to put, but the best one in the market is the Optima batteries, u get what u pay for.
I like the optima battery but dont know which to get. Their website guide doesnt show which battery to use on any car newer than 2012, haha
Old 06-25-14, 01:11 PM
Polo708
Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
I have good experience with Interstate Batteries and I'm NW area so I have Mega Tron Plus in my Sienna, more CCA than stock battery, so far no issues after 15 months. It's the exact same size with the GS just opposite on the terminal. And the Sienna are loaded with rear entertainment video, ipad charger, couple GPS, 2 dash cam running 24/7, AC converter. I had issues with my Sienna stock battery before if I leave the ignition in accessory mode for more than 30 minutes the battery will exhaust and won't start the engine, now I could run it almost twice the time and the engine still start-able.

The original Panasonic battery in my GS getting weaker now, cutting off the dashcam when I turn off the car with the headlight on so I'll replace it soon.

Here is the link for your GS: (I got it around $130)

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number
Going with your recommendation... found a local distributor for $114 LOL. Thanks
Old 06-25-14, 04:07 PM
gotink
Rookie

Optima is not what it use to be,mass produced garbage now day...www.odysseybattery.com/ these are about as good as you can get it what the 4x4 cumminity use instead of optima...optima have been hit and miss a lot lately.
Old 06-25-14, 08:29 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

here is the down low on the batteries, I had a salesman go down to Detroit, where all the batteries are made, there is only 2 big manufactures in the US that built batteries, which I can't mention who they are sorry, all it is the outside shell and the labels and how its charged, unless its Chinese made which u get the worse warranty and the cheapest one, like the AAA ones, if u see a battery that has 2 yr warranty stay away.
Old 06-25-14, 09:03 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Johnson Controls is one of them. Batteries are usually 2 or 3 year replacement warranties.
Old 06-25-14, 09:11 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Braille carbon that i will retro fit. Anyone know if it's good? It's tiny.
Old 06-25-14, 11:58 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo708
Going with your recommendation... found a local distributor for $114 LOL. Thanks
Great deal! Johnson Controls made Interstate and many other labels including Kirkland Signature so you can't go wrong with them. For the peace of mind I would replace the battery every 4 years and for the second time replacement will be the vehicle not the battery.

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-...ate-batteries/
Old 06-26-14, 06:00 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have Autozone in your area, go to their website, type in your zipcode, enter your car model, and you will see several options for the correct batteries for your car. They will install your battery and check your charging system, and they stand behind what they sell.
Old 06-26-14, 06:32 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

OEM is Panasonic, but the dealership likely won't sell you that. Why not just use whatever Lexus "approves" as an aftermarket replacement?

Quick Reply: Battery replacement suggestions...