GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thankful I bought the GS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 06:48 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thankful I bought the GS350

Took my car ('14 GS 350 AWD w/lux pkg, power trunk, cold weather pkg, Nav, BSM, Park Assist) in for its 5000K service today. Only settings I had changed were the open windows from fob.

Was given a '14 ES as a loaner and boy I am happy I bought the GS350. I know, completely different target markets (and cost point) but the GS is so much more refined and nicer to drive. The interior materials give the car another level of luxury. I nearly dislocated my shoulder in the ES while hitting the gas around a corner. The power steering jerk the wheel in the direction of my turn (hard). Did not punch it, just accelerated.

Things I love about the car are the
1. Power and handling - More than I can ever use.
2. Power trunk (never thought I would call this out until having it).
3. Folding mirrors (parked on a tight street the other night and didn't have to worry.) also they serve as a good indicator of if the doors are locked when I can still see the car but out of range of the fob)
4. 18 way adjustable seats (so much more comfortable than the ES) albeit gets a little hard on longer drives.
5. Auto Parking brake (forget I even have a parking brake)
6. Park Assist
7. Visibility, can see all around, include the BSM and Backup Camera in this category. Lacking birds-eye view.
8. Every thing is AUTO.
9. Not an audiophile but really enjoy the base sound system.
10. Most importantly, not definitive (still too early) but likely - Lexus Reliability.

Things not so thrilled about:
1. Exterior styling across all Lexus cars is too similar. Doesn't stand out enough from ES.
2. User interface of nav and communication system could be better refined. I would have loved to had the touch pad versus the joystick. But again, I've learned how to use it, so no problem.
3. Analog clock (reminds me of the old Mitsubishi Diamante advertisements - dating myself). At least put a digital clock on the display.
4. Tires - Ride is a little harsh on the dunlops. I will replace with the Michelins or even change the profile of the tires when the dunlops wear out. I'd give up some handling for better ride.
5. Black interior carpet. Not a big fan of black carpet, hard to see anything (not just an age thing).

Things I've heard others complain about but don't bother me:
1. Transmission is fine. I've learned in Sport and Sport + mode that I may have to shift up after braking or taking foot off of accelerator. still have to learn to downshift if needed. I sometimes think this is more about learning how to drive the car vs the car being "unfriendly"
2. Light in trunk was pretty dim but modified with LED strip as previously posted on this forum, now no problem with seeing what is in the trunk.
3. Unable to have it default in Sport mode but from what I understand that is an EPA rule that mileage estimates be done on the highest default mode.
4. Still open - Ventilation mode - Recirc vs fresh air - use to default to fresh air but lately is recirc, so it is probably a setup thing. UPDATED - Just was posted on another thread - Lexus employs Recirc-Lock when the temp is 75F+. Not a fan (no pun intended), dries out the sinus' and is not healthy for me.

These are all personal preferences. I had a 2000 GS300 before buying this new and haven't looked back.

LASTLY, This forum is awesome as a resource for research.

Last edited by dougm213; 06-23-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 07:05 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great summary, Doug. BTW, I also live in PA. I have the 2013, which is identical except for the power folding mirrors (a real downer without them--my wife's GMAC has 'em, for crying out loud) and power trunk (haven't missed this feature). You didn't mention it but what I like is the power rear sunshade. And don't forget the Navi.
Old 06-23-14, 07:13 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trek
Great summary, Doug. BTW, I also live in PA. I have the 2013, which is identical except for the power folding mirrors (a real downer without them--my wife's GMAC has 'em, for crying out loud) and power trunk (haven't missed this feature). You didn't mention it but what I like is the power rear sunshade. And don't forget the Navi.
First time to really use the sunscreen was also the other night with 2 in the back. Worked nicely and it is a nice wow feature. Before that, no real use. Having the back seat ventilation and radio controls were also nice, but lucky me, I never sit in the back seat.

I like the Navigation maps and interface, display information in diagrams and route.

Oh and forgot two other love it features, ventilated seats in the warm weather. I have them on all the time, won't be using the Auto feature in the summer. Second - voice commands, once you learn to use it. Have an old phone so haven't used the text reading or anything, but have used the voice dial.

One thing I wish it had that is missing - Birds-eye view camera display. Looking forward to the next car having automatic fullstop and start collision avoidance. Lexus' version is pretty weak from the research I have done.

Last edited by dougm213; 06-23-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Great write up. The ES is a fantastic vehicle but clearly like most in the GS forum I feel the GS is well worth the money.
Old 06-23-14, 07:28 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Nicely balanced write-up, thanks. At first, the analog clock threw me off. But now i appreciate the contrast.
Old 06-23-14, 08:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Completely agree with the following but still love my GS:

1. Exterior styling across all Lexus cars is too similar. Doesn't stand out enough from ES.
2. User interface of nav and communication system could be better refined. I would have loved to had the touch pad versus the joystick. But again, I've learned how to use it, so no problem.
4. Tires - Ride is a little harsh on the dunlops. I will replace with the Michelins or even change the profile of the tires when the dunlops wear out. I'd give up some handling for better ride.

I personally like the black carpet and headliner and the analog clock, but I am also planning on replacing my Dunlops with Michelins within the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-23-14, 08:54 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dseag2
Completely agree with the following but still love my GS:

I personally like the black carpet and headliner and the analog clock, but I am also planning on replacing my Dunlops with Michelins within the next couple of weeks.
Please let us know your findings.
Old 06-23-14, 08:57 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty sure everyone that has changed tires from the two factory options have been happier with noise and ride quality. 19's don't give you alot of shoulder to begin with, but the Potenzas are hard tires. Dunlops marginally better from what people have said here.
Old 06-24-14, 03:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice review, yeah I wish I had the power trunk and power folding mirrors.
Old 06-24-14, 05:55 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I totally agreed with your review. I am glad that you did the LED trunk light strip mod, I started that mod trend on here and made a DIY guide for it. Glad that my DIY guide was useful for members here. I wished our GS had the Auto hold brake like on the Lexus LS's so I dont have to hold the brake pedal at a stop light and during stop and go traffic. Once I reach 25,000 miles I will switch my dunlops for michelins because dunlops are kinda harsh for my taste.
Old 06-24-14, 06:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Nice review, yeah I wish I had the power trunk and power folding mirrors.
Agreed........
Old 06-24-14, 06:34 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Forgot some other features I like, Adaptive front headlights and Auto wipers. Haven't had the need to use the headlight washers. Heated steering wheel is nice but wish it covered more of the wheel but I guess not easy with the wood wheel.

Braking is great although one thing I still haven't mastered is the accelerator. When backing up or maneuvering, find it difficult depress the pedal just right to get the car moving gently. Always afraid of hitting it too hard and slamming into the car behind. My 2000 GS 300 was very touchy but for some reason I was able to control it better. Anyone else have this issue?

And why do we need the dealer to configure settings? Shouldn't almost everything be configured using the setup screens?

Last edited by dougm213; 06-24-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-24-14, 06:49 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213

Haven't had the need to use the headlight washers.
I thought they run whether you need them or not every first time you turn on the wipers when in Drive or something like that. So you've been using them already.
Old 06-24-14, 07:03 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I thought they run whether you need them or not every first time you turn on the wipers when in Drive or something like that. So you've been using them already.
The car automatically sprays the headlights the first time you pull the windshield spray but only occurs once every engine start when the headlights are on and the engine is running.

-Joe
Old 06-24-14, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I wished our GS had the Auto hold brake like on the Lexus LS's so I dont have to hold the brake pedal at a stop light and during stop and go traffic.
Try double pressing the brake pedal at a stop

Quick Reply: Thankful I bought the GS350