GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wheel Shop Morons

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 10:23 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheel Shop Morons

Okay let me preface this post by letting you know I'm venting, so this thread is going to start out as a b*tch fest.

I've been looking for a square setup for my 4GS so I've been communicating with a wheel shop in my area to get back to me w/ a quote that includes a cost breakdown. I can probably get lower prices online, but I want to support locally-owned businesses in my community. So the shop sends me a quote via email and its for a staggered setup "because that's what is recommended for the 4GS." (Recommended by who?) Oh and of course there is no cost breakdown on the quote. So I write back, telling them to get me a quote with the wheel specs that I wanted.

Annoyed, I decide that while I'm waiting on the new quote from the first guys, I'll go to another shop w/ the same request: square setup and cost breakdown on the quote. They did the EXACT same thing the first shop did. Quote for a staggered setup, and no cost breakdown. WTF!

Yes I know staggered setups are popular, but why wouldn't you at least give me what I specifically asked for, and just send an additional quote with the staggered option in addition if that's what's "recommended"? Oh and why no cost breakdown? This isn't secret intelligence, they are wheels!
Old 06-20-14, 10:27 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I can think of two things:

1) Nobody listens anymore. They just yes you to death
2) That's what the computer tells them.

Ed
Old 06-20-14, 10:33 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you buy online out of state? Call and bargain. Don't pay price online. Saves you a bundle...and no sales tax. Have local shop install and you support locally-owned business.
Old 06-20-14, 10:34 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
Okay let me preface this post by letting you know I'm venting, so this thread is going to start out as a b*tch fest.

I've been looking for a square setup for my 4GS so I've been communicating with a wheel shop in my area to get back to me w/ a quote that includes a cost breakdown. I can probably get lower prices online, but I want to support locally-owned businesses in my community. So the shop sends me a quote via email and its for a staggered setup "because that's what is recommended for the 4GS." (Recommended by who?) Oh and of course there is no cost breakdown on the quote. So I write back, telling them to get me a quote with the wheel specs that I wanted.

Annoyed, I decide that while I'm waiting on the new quote from the first guys, I'll go to another shop w/ the same request: square setup and cost breakdown on the quote. They did the EXACT same thing the first shop did. Quote for a staggered setup, and no cost breakdown. WTF!

Yes I know staggered setups are popular, but why wouldn't you at least give me what I specifically asked for, and just send an additional quote with the staggered option in addition if that's what's "recommended"? Oh and why no cost breakdown? This isn't secret intelligence, they are wheels!
All you have to do is ask the same size all around with the same tires. They might not know what you are referring to when you ask for a square setup... I'm just guessing.

Hope the next tire/wheel shop you visit will give you the information you are looking for.
Old 06-20-14, 11:10 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Ed - I completely agree! LOL

Ob - I know I can get everything cheaper online, but shops can also make a small margin buy getting wholesale pricing and selling to me at retail. I was just trying to help out the little guy. (What the hell was I thinking? )

G-Shark - You might be right. But I would hope if this is your job that you would know what a square setup is, or at least ask for clarification if you are not familiar w/ the slang.
Old 06-20-14, 11:18 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I know the feeling, it happened to me before , I asked for the wheels and I told them this is the size I want and they came bk with the size they want, because when they look up on there computer automatically, it shows the staggered fitment, so what you do call or email them tell them these are the sizes u want, good luck bud.
Old 06-20-14, 12:05 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear about that man I have had clients vent to us about the same thing even with local shops.

The only time we really mention something other then what the client requests is if the fitment wont work or so so super unique we also inform them about what a normal "standard" fitment is for the car.

we do multiple setups on different cars everyday and are always open to ppl asking questions.

if anyone has questions don't hesitate to shoot us a pm even if its about the quality of the lugs you'll use we can help answer everything
Old 06-20-14, 12:59 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

1 word. Computers. They input your make, model and year into the computer and out spits what the manufacturer recommends. It's like going to McDonalds and your bill comes out to say $7.28 ... Hand the cashier $10.50 and watch them get all confused. hahahahaha
Old 06-20-14, 01:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yea just tell them the specs u want and just tell them it's for a non-staggered GS setup.
Old 06-20-14, 03:17 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yea just tell them the specs u want and just tell them it's for a non-staggered GS setup.
I did, which is my point. I told them exactly what I wanted and BOTH places gave me what THEY think I should get.

This is the email that the second shop sent to me. I removed the names since I don't want to drag anyone through the mud (Not even myself!!):

Hi <blacksun>,

Here's the quote for the wheels you were looking at.

The only difference between what is here and what we spoke about is the staggered fitment. The folks at <wheel manufacturer> weren't too confident that the 10" wheel would fit up front.

Let me know if you have any questions, and if you'd like to go ahead and order these bad boys up!

Thank you,
<Wheel Shop Guy>
Old 06-20-14, 03:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U have AWD, the computer should show a square setup. Those people don't know anything...

A quick search shows me this:

AWD - Square
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...350&vid=026914

RWD - Staggered
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...350&vid=026915
Old 06-20-14, 04:44 PM
pmlexus
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets just say the words customer service dont mean a damn thing any more, I fnd it funny how people complain about difficult customers. If they took the time to listen then they woiuld find out that the customer is not difficult.
Old 06-20-14, 06:08 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

speaking from experience of both sides as a customer and a sales rep who helps out customers

its a 50/50 road

there are cases were for example I will provide 230% to help the customer and they will still refuse to understand the information or see the solution

& then there have been times were I have noticed that the sales rep customer services has been absolute **** !
Old 06-21-14, 01:55 AM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I can think of two things:

1) Nobody listens anymore. They just yes you to death
2) That's what the computer tells them.

Ed
you nailed it. i came from the wheel shop today and made some specific requests when they were balancing my tires. none were carried out, no communication from the guy running the front desk to the guys in the shop.
Old 06-21-14, 03:19 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Unacceptable, first of all. When I was choosing my wheels I went to 2 local wheel shops asking for quotes on the Vossen CV5's (having already priced online). I enjoy supporting local as well. BOTH tried to sell me something else, for reason(s) I will leave out. Despite that I knew what I wanted, and knew neither shop would get my business as a result.

I recommend you call and speak with someone whenever possible. NEVER assume someone knows something until they prove worthy of your assumptions. Perhaps they don't want to take the risk of you holding them liable if/when you rip your front fenders off? I am assuming (thinking you did your homework) that you know you will need fender mods. Either way, I hope everything works out for you and look forward to the pictures of your set up!

Last edited by GSthe4th; 06-21-14 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Shop Morons