GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just took my first 4 passenger road trip in the 4GS...yeah its not a backseat car LOL

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Just took my first 4 passenger road trip in the 4GS...yeah its not a backseat car LOL

As the title says, just took two back seat passengers with us on a 350 mile highway trip, the back seat being my only significant issue with this car remains an issue. Comfort was good for them for about 3 hours, the last 2 hours were tough with them trying to cross legs and curl around because of tight legroom. Took the GS instead of the Jeep because the Jeep had just done the same trip the week before...trying to spread the miles around.

While we were there we added a 5th for a short run to breakfast...yeah defiantly not a 5 passenger car either. My poor cousin just about had his head between his legs in the middle, and that was with my seat as far up as possible and the steering wheel all the way in at the dash.

Quite frustrating hearing my family say how much they hated riding in my $60k Lexus.

Driving back it was just the two of us and as comfortable as ever.

Really is funny when you look at how similar the dimensions are to my old 2010 ES, even larger in the rear and its so totally different.

If it was only two inches longer I think...
Old 06-17-14, 05:04 PM
harryra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry that $60K doesn't buy you a back seat. You're not the only one with that problem. The GS is marketed as a low end lux sports sedan. Sports sedan equals no backseat room. The car is meant primarily for 2 people on a road trip. The ES and LS would serve that purpose better. Right now the best long distance road car out there for the money is the Mercedes S550....plenty of backseat room for 2-3 people....Maybe you could trade?
Old 06-17-14, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I love my GS, I have posted over and over again how much I love it. Just because I love it overall doesn't mean it doesn't have areas that can improve.

Sports sedan does not have to equal no back seat. Its not an IS or 3 series, its a midrange midsize sport sedan, not a "low end sports sedan". Pretty much everything else in its class has a better back seat, like I said all it really needs is maybe 2-2.5 more inches of rear legroom. If I were complaining about this in an IS you would have a point, but this is not the IS, this is the GS. BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc can build cars in this size and price class with great handling and a more spacious backseat.

Not that it diminishes my enjoyment of the car, like I said its 1.5 years in and this is my first 4 passenger road trip in it. Usually its just me, or me and my wife, or even me my wife and one other is great.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-17-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 05:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes, the IS backseat is even worse... and I thought the GS has a small backseat area and u just proved me right.

Well I never sit in the back anyway and I didn't buy this car to carry a full house either, so I'm cool with it.
Old 06-17-14, 05:48 PM
harryra
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I love my GS, I have posted over and over again how much I love it. Just because I love it overall doesn't mean it doesn't have areas that can improve.

Sports sedan does not have to equal no back seat. Its not an IS or 3 series, its a midrange midsize sport sedan, not a "low end sports sedan". Pretty much everything else in its class has a better back seat, like I said all it really needs is maybe 2-2.5 more inches of rear legroom. If I were complaining about this in an IS you would have a point, but this is not the IS, this is the GS. BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Mercedes, etc can build cars in this size and price class with great handling and a more spacious backseat.

Not that it diminishes my enjoyment of the car, like I said its 1.5 years in and this is my first 4 passenger road trip in it. Usually its just me, or me and my wife, or even me my wife and one other is great.
Don't get me wrong....I'm here because I enjoy cars and I like most of the Lexus line. I am sorry to say that the GS350, and I have a brand new 2014 GS, is NOT a high end sports sedan. I own several cars ranging from the GS350 to a 2014 Ferrari 458. The GS350 is my low end but I do like the car a lot or I wouldn't be here. I'm also on other forums and clubs for Ferrari, MB, Bentley and Aston Martin. Most of those owners laugh at me for owning a Lexus as they feel its simply a Toyota rebranded. I disagree and often defend the brand but in the world of true "luxury" sports sedans the GS would be one or two steps above entry level....maybe middle of the road but certainly not high end.

On another note I feel they could have offered the GS with a tad bit more legroom but they made the front seating area so nice that the space had to come from somewhere. Personally I bought it knowing that I would never use it for anything other than driving around Dallas by one or two people max. Anything more than that I would either have gone for the ES, as you pointed out or an LS-L, assuming I would stay in the Lexus brand.
Old 06-17-14, 05:52 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harryra
Right now the best long distance road car out there for the money is the Mercedes S550....
Ut oh . . . . . . . That's not a nice thing to say on this site. I mean, even better than the LS? Come on. But I guess you did say for the money!
Old 06-17-14, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never said it was a high end sports sedan, but it is not a low end sport sedan or an entry level car whether you have a Ferrari or not. The GS is a mid level mid sized luxury sport sedan. Lexus has two entry level sedans, the IS and the ES.

None of your self important ramblings have anything to do with my post about rear seat space lol. Enjoy your Ferrari
Old 06-17-14, 05:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Those that say Lexus is an overpriced Toyota or even a rebranded Toyota... has never been in one. It doesn't feel like any Toyota I've ever been in. Even the loaded Avalon doesn't feel the same as ES.
Old 06-17-14, 05:56 PM
MikeyTown
Driver School Candidate

Heck... If you had 4 fully grown people in there, and the people in back were comfortable for 3 hours, then this car will be more than good enough for my needs. That's good to know.

Personally, I'm 6'4", so I've never found a back seat in a sedan that I was comfortable in. Luckily, I'm the only one who drives my GS, so I don't have to worry about it. The only people sitting in the back are under 13 years of age... They seem to love it back there. LOL
Old 06-17-14, 06:02 PM
harryra
Rookie

I never said it was a high end sports sedan, but it is not a low end sport sedan or an entry level car whether you have a Ferrari or not. The GS is a mid level mid sized luxury sport sedan. Lexus has two entry level sedans, the IS and the ES.

None of your self important ramblings have anything to do with my post about rear seat space lol. Enjoy your Ferrari
You know a forum is all about opinions. Once you make a post all you are going to get is someone else's opinion on what you posted. On most of the car forums and on line clubs I belong to regarding auto's it is very common to discuss what other auto's you have in your stable or what you'd like to own one day. I take no offense when someone mentions a car that is far beyond what I would spend for any vehicle but I certainly do not try to put them down or take them to task for driving or owning something nicer than I have. In fact I'm usually happy for them. Everything in life is relative. I never said that my opinions were more important than yours or anyone else's. The fact that mentioned that I own a Ferrari somehow antagonizes you to the point that you feel the need to make it an issue. I only used my car ownership in trying to make a point from my own perspective....clearly one that you can not relate to....and that I understand.

In short, you posted about the legroom in the GS and how they should have given you more and on and on and this was a luxury sports sedan. I simply said that the GS350 is a wonderful vehicle but is not considered a luxury sports sedan. You took exception to that which is fine by me. Without your disagreement we wouldn't have a forum now would we?
Old 06-17-14, 06:05 PM
harryra
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeyTown
Heck... If you had 4 fully grown people in there, and the people in back were comfortable for 3 hours, then this car will be more than good enough for my needs. That's good to know.

Personally, I'm 6'4", so I've never found a back seat in a sedan that I was comfortable in. Luckily, I'm the only one who drives my GS, so I don't have to worry about it. The only people sitting in the back are under 13 years of age... They seem to love it back there. LOL
You got a great car and married it to your needs. Kids won't care about the back seat as long as they have their iPads and iPhones....
Old 06-17-14, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've been posting on auto forums for over 15 years, but thanks for yet another lesson.

I think you need to look at your posts objectively. It's not just here, but you seem to constantly remind all of us that you own much better cars than the GS, and the GS is okay but not as great as we think it is. It's damning with faint praise. It's always "low end" or "entry level" and now it's not even a sport sedan? Hilarious.

If your intention is not to put our cars and thus us down, you should re-evaluate the manner I'm which you post. You own a Ferrari, the GS is your "cheap car"...we heard...we get it.

I don't care that you own a Ferrari. I know people who own Ferraris. I think what you need to ask yourself is why did the fact that you own a Ferrari come up in my thread about my GS' rear legroom? Why have I read you post that you own a Ferrari at least two other times in two other threads on this site when you've only been a member here 2 weeks? Why do you seem to need to consistently tell us you own a Ferrari alongside telling us that our cars are "low end" and "entry level"?

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-17-14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 06:24 PM
harryra
Rookie

I've been posting on auto forums for over 15 years, but thanks for yet another lesson.

I think you need to look at your posts objectively. It's not just here, but you seem to constantly remind all of us that you own much better cars than the GS, and the GS is okay but not as great as we think it is. It's damning with faint praise. It's always "low end" or "entry level" and now it's not even a sport sedan? Hilarious.

If your intention is not to put our cars and thus us down, you should re-evaluate the manner I'm which you post. You own a Ferrari, the GS is your "cheap car"...we heard...we get it.
Never said my GS is a "cheap" car....I said it was the cheapest car I own. I certainly would not have acquired it if it was a POS. I got it because I do believe in the Lexus brand and feel they make good mass produced vehicles. I've also learned a lot by just reading numerous posts on this forum. But what I'm not going to do is sit idle and quiet when I have something to say whether you agree with it or not. I'm sorry you're taking this real too personal but that's your issue and not mine. As far as other posts you are clearly referring to the "nutter" who made the post about being in Toronto and seeing too many GS's used for Livery service. The entire posts was beyond ridiculous and he needed to be reminded that the GS is not a top tier automobile....I stand by posts whether you agree or not so with that....I think its best for us to agree to disagree.....
Old 06-17-14, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let's see how long you can go without saying "Ferrari" and without telling us about the other much better cars you own. Let's see how long you can go without telling us that our car is not "top tier" or "upper end" or whatever. How quaint we must seem to you.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-17-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 06:41 PM
harryra
Rookie

Let's see how long you can go without saying "Ferrari" and without telling us about the other much better cars you own. Let's see how long you can go without telling us that our car is not "top tier" or "upper end" or whatever. How quaint we must seem to you.
I must say you are very entertaining! Like you I have a GS350 in my garage so we have that in common. As for how long I can go....That is off the table. I will mention whatever I want, whenever I want. If people choose to reply they will and if I sound arrogant I'm sure you'll be there to take me to task....But....You will never control me nor will you lead me into what I can or can not say, nor would I do the same to you.

As for this post, its become "boring" and childish. I'm sure that other readers have fallen asleep with this nonsense so I'm done replying to you on this topic. Have a nice night.

Quick Reply: Just took my first 4 passenger road trip in the 4GS...yeah its not a backseat car LOL