GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My 3 month review!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 11:32 AM
sittinlow1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 3 month review!

Have a f sport for 3 months now and heres my negatives about the car! Dont attack me just giving my opinion.

1. Under powered for the money, weight and to wear a sport badge.

2. Trans is sloppy in every mode. Doesnt know what to do with itself in mostly all situations.

3. The button to change presets is opposite of almost all other cars , usually to go to a higher preset u press up this car u have to press down , I cant get used to it.

4. Too much wheel gap for a sport badged car.

5. The bluetooth audio doesnt transfer any info to the screen and the messaging option to have ur text message pop up works when it wants to.
Lets hear it!

Last edited by sittinlow1; 06-19-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 12:00 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems like a pretty one-sided review. Is there anything you like about the car?
Old 06-19-14, 12:16 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

#1 I somewhat agree, but this car still moves.
#2 I agree that 6 speeds may be too many. Which is why a lot of us shook our heads when they added the 8sp tranny
#3.....whatever
#4 You likely have the AWD, you can get springs to bring it down some. Something you should have noticed when you bought the car...
#5 sounds like you have an iPhone. That's not Lexus' problem, but Apple's.

Last edited by jtrue28; 06-19-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 12:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I noticed the car doesn't like it when u go through your radio preset stations fast. It keeps beeping and telling me to slow down. The cheap camry radio can go through radio stations fast and this can't? Come on Lexus...
Old 06-19-14, 01:16 PM
sambb
Driver School Candidate

I am a newbie but a few things bother me
1. It goes to the NAV screen after a phone call, when it was on the radio screen prior to a call
2. The blue light goes in and out on acceleration, how can that be turned off
3. It is difficult for the passenger to change the radio station, easily

Nevertheless, after owning several BMWs, all I can say is that it seems Lexus is far more reliable.

I wish the gas mileage was slightly better - like 24 rather than 21 for my driving.
Old 06-19-14, 01:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sittinlow1
Have a f sport for 3 months now and heres my negatives about the car! Dont attack me just giving my opinion.

2. Trans is sloppy in every mode. Doesnt know what to do with itself in mostly all situations.

3. The button to change presets is opposite of almost all other cars , usually to go to a higher preset u press up this car u have to press down , I cant get used to it.

5. The bluetooth audio doesnt transfer any info to the screen and the messaging option to have ur text message pop up works when it wants to.
Lets hear it!
1) It is a tad under powered, but does get up and go nicely.
2) Only thing that bothers me is how abrupt the downshifts are in sport mode when you jab the brake, but alas, it is sport mode. I slap it in manual and have no complaints.
3) It works the same way my other car works ('06 TSX) so I'm fine.
4) Ehh... I'm not ripping my bumper off on every curb stone so I'm fine.
5) All of the music meta data (except album art) does transfer over for me using the music app, pandora, spotify, etc.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I noticed the car doesn't like it when u go through your radio preset stations fast. It keeps beeping and telling me to slow down. The cheap camry radio can go through radio stations fast and this can't? Come on Lexus...
It only beeps when scrolling fast and you come up on a different source (going from FM to SAT, etc. It also happens when you try to change a station while its transitioning into an HD signal.
Originally Posted by sambb
I am a newbie but a few things bother me
1. It goes to the NAV screen after a phone call, when it was on the radio screen prior to a call
2. The blue light goes in and out on acceleration, how can that be turned off
3. It is difficult for the passenger to change the radio station, easily

Nevertheless, after owning several BMWs, all I can say is that it seems Lexus is far more reliable.

I wish the gas mileage was slightly better - like 24 rather than 21 for my driving.
1) I believe this happens only when you end the call yourself. Annoying non the less.
2) This can be changed via the settings on the screen in the speedo.
3) Not sure what you mean here. I find it easy enough to change the station when riding shotgun.
Old 06-19-14, 01:53 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
I am a newbie but a few things bother me 1. It goes to the NAV screen after a phone call, when it was on the radio screen prior to a call 2. The blue light goes in and out on acceleration, how can that be turned off 3. It is difficult for the passenger to change the radio station, easily Nevertheless, after owning several BMWs, all I can say is that it seems Lexus is far more reliable. I wish the gas mileage was slightly better - like 24 rather than 21 for my driving.
Page 779 ITM
Old 06-19-14, 02:40 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I hate it when I get stuck in the satellite radio. I have to cycle back to get to fm. Wait till you work with nav. I still like the car, wished they update it later in the future.
Old 06-19-14, 04:54 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like OP bought the wrong car.
Old 06-19-14, 06:02 PM
wangster79
Rookie

Lets hear it!
1. In my opinion, the car is not underpowered. Plus, the sport badge doesn't really mean more horsepower. Just like BMW's M-Sport doesn't mean more power. I could use another 50 hp or so but I'm happy with mine.

2. I don't quite agree but I think it depends on what you came out of before getting into the GS. My Infiniti FX35 (2012) seems confused at times to a point where I need to switch into the manual mode. In other words, totally happy with GS.

3. I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Plus, I think the radio wheel on the right side (I have ML) is way too far for the driver to control. And I'm not a small guy.

4. All you have to say is It's a luxury sport sedan, not a sports car.

5. Also, it doesn't read text messages in other languages. This shouldn't be too difficult but it doesn't. I hope there is a software update that can fix this. It also doesn't read song titles and artist names in other languages.
Old 06-19-14, 07:58 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Sounds like OP bought the wrong car.
I wouldn't say that. It's ok to have complaints. The car isn't going to be perfect to every individual. That's just not possible. I have small complaints about mine, but I still don't think I bought the wrong car.
Old 06-20-14, 12:44 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say I love almost everything about my GS F-Sport. Yea it only has a 306 hp V6 but it's still faster than my old '01 GS430 300 hp V8 (or at least feels faster). The 6-speed transmission is not bad either. On normal mode it's meant to be comfortable and give good fuel economy. On S+ the car performs fantastically, quick shifts, jumps into the right gear and power band most if the time. The car is extremely comfortable on long trips and I've even had passengers in the rear seat say they were comfortable on a 4 hour trip. The radio and Nav is very easy to navigate for me I just use the joystick I guess I'll call it.

Nonetheless I love this car, but I can't wait to see the true GS-F and to see a new v8 engine make its way into the current GS model.
Old 06-20-14, 01:02 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The gs430 has way more torque. Add headers and you get more. Gs430 has LSD mods...a very good ls400 brake mod.

It still looks good but getting old. 2gs was the best gs imo. I had all parts of the suspension replaced. Miss it but not going back..., unless i restore it from the ground up.

4gs is not bad, but it's 2014.
Old 06-20-14, 01:38 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lets hear it!
1) Under powered, perhaps a bit, but not for the money. Hold tight, Lexus is working on it. My buddy with his 2010 Whipple supercharged Camaro feels it has plenty of pop. All relative. Again, GS-F will solve that, but you will need to cough up the $.
2) My how everyone seemed to complain when the 2013 debuted with the ol' reliable 6. Seems like us 2013 owners benefited. I love the response I get in Sport +. I love how it just sits there at 4500 RPM or so when I am making moves.
3) ........
4) AGREED, too high for ANY car. That's why many of us lower.
5) Not the biggest fan either, our Explorer sport has better utility (and to think how horrible the reviews have been with MyFordTouch!)

I despise unilateral "reviews," which is why this is not a review to me. You really just started a complaint thread, but that is understandable. Consider adding what you actually do like about the car, please. You did create discussion, however!
Old 06-20-14, 03:12 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets hear it!
I agree with it all. Text seems to be working fine, once I learned that when you driving it will only allow to play it, and when you stop you can read it. Other than that I agree and believe me can add a few more negatives about the GS.

Many if you say, yeah the car can move, yes it can only when its in the right gear, which you have to shift yourself into.

Every day I experience the underpower, I floor it only its too late to find out the the car is in 4th or 5 gear and It barely speeds up. I have to use Manual mode all the time if I want to speed up. Stupid car.

I was trying to pass a car as I was entering HWY, it took forever to enter the HwY. I was going about 35mph, then i floored it (sport mode), in about 4-5 more seconds it got to 55. WTF. Most likely it was in 5 gear

Last edited by FastTags; 06-20-14 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply: My 3 month review!