GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 vs. 2014 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 12:35 PM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 vs. 2014 Questions

I am looking at the GS350 for my next car. I currently have the LS460 (2007). I am looking to get a used car with low mileage and warranty (CPO is preferred). Right now my selections are going to be primarily 2013 models. I know when getting a used car you have to have a list of things you want and then get the car that has the most on the list. However, there are always a few must haves. I am willing to wait if that will get me the features I want. However, some features sound good but then don't make that much difference once you have used them (novelty vs. useful).

The main things I would like are all available on the 2013 model. However, I like the idea of the RCTA which is only available on 2014 models. I use an IPhone so I am curious about the Apple Siri eyes free on the 2014 (although Siri has yet to understand my southern accent). I have heard arguments both ways on the 8 speed vs. 6 speed transmission.

My question is: are these things worth waiting for (it will be awhile before the 2014's are falling in the used category). Probably out of the items mentioned the RCTA is the most interesting to me. For you who have these features, do you use them and are they easy to use? Thanks!
Old 06-10-14, 01:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes I use my RCTA all the time, it works great for me in addition to the backup camera and rear sensors.
Old 06-10-14, 01:12 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

My findings were that a nicely equipped '13 coming off lease with CPO was best bang for the buck. Not going to get every gadget but most will come with heated/ventilated seats, nav, bsw, parking sensors, rear shade, auto parking brake, and few other things. I went with AWD so transmission choice was not an issue. Both have 6 speeds.
Old 06-11-14, 04:15 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have read any of my threads you will find how much I dislike the 8sp transmision.

The cross traffic is great but, i would rather get the 2013 instead. I can live with not having RCTA, and non folding mirrors.

My friend bought a 2013 f-sport with every single option available that year, and let me tell you it great to have em all.

He paid around $45k for it, which IMo is a super deal 12k miles.

To me a must have is basic stuff, NAV, cool seats, bac up camera, but ML sound system is so much better than the crappy stock one.

Buying a 2013 is a smart choice, can go wrong w Lexus
Old 06-11-14, 05:14 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You may get better gas milage with the 2014. I get about 24-25 mpg combined city and highway. I drive very spirited and DONT baby the gas pedal. Most other members here who have bought the 2013 model are getting 16-22 mpg combined with same style of driving I do. That may be something to consider. My 2014 also came with power trunk which is not needed but I did find it useful. I heard that the 2013 trunk is hard to close manually, you have to slam it, also this will leave finger prints on trunk if your and OCD type of person than this may bother you. RCTA saved my rear bumper a few times when people try to sneak past me in a parking lot even though I have backed up half way out. On the 2014 model the heated and ventilated seats have an auto function that can be set so that the car can decide if you need cool or heated seats based on ambient outside temp. Some people with 2013 cars complain that the car does not remember last setting for climate seat when car is shut down and restarted. I can assure you that my 2014 model will remember my last setting no matter how many times I restart vehicle. I dont have an iphone so I cant comment on siri eyes free but the standard voice command for 2013 and 2014 works just fine and never have trouble with my southern Tennessee accent. I hope this info will help you with your decision.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 06-11-14 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-11-14, 08:38 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I dont agree with the above about the MPG. I have a thread about it, and most people also experience 17-19 MPG in the city.

I get 18MPG city, and 23/25 HWY
Old 06-11-14, 08:39 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. I have read FastTags other posts about not liking the 8 speed transmission. It sounds like the 6- speed is better but you will lose some gas efficiency. From the options I indicated, the RCTA is the one I am most interested in. I am looking at 2 nice cars right now. One is a 2013 in the Mica blue with about 16k miles. It has quite a few options including the ML stereo, HUD, BSM, 18" wheels and more that I can't remember. It is a CPO car at the dealer. They want $44,000 and I doubt they will negotiate much.

The other is a lease turn in, also 2013. It has 42,000 miles and is not a CPO but does have warranty left. It has all the options of the first car and also climate package with heated steering wheel and rear heated seats. It is the black color which is my favorite. They are asking $37,000 but I think will come down some. The mileage doesn't worry me much but I would rather it be a CPO. I can get an extended warranty while it is still covered (if I am correct).

The other option is to wait until I start seeing lease turn ins for 2014 and look for the options I want. Obviously, that is my least favorite option. However, I will keep this car for 6 to 7 years so I want to make sure I get the best option and get the most for my money. My 2007 LS460 will not depreciate much in one more year.

One other question; are the prices of the new 2014 GS350s similar to the 2013's when they were new. If so, then the used ones should be in the same price range in about 6 months but with a few more options included.
Old 06-11-14, 09:01 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BRJACKET
Thanks for the help. I have read FastTags other posts about not liking the 8 speed transmission. It sounds like the 6- speed is better but you will lose some gas efficiency. From the options I indicated, the RCTA is the one I am most interested in. I am looking at 2 nice cars right now. One is a 2013 in the Mica blue with about 16k miles. It has quite a few options including the ML stereo, HUD, BSM, 18" wheels and more that I can't remember. It is a CPO car at the dealer. They want $44,000 and I doubt they will negotiate much.

The other is a lease turn in, also 2013. It has 42,000 miles and is not a CPO but does have warranty left. It has all the options of the first car and also climate package with heated steering wheel and rear heated seats. It is the black color which is my favorite. They are asking $37,000 but I think will come down some. The mileage doesn't worry me much but I would rather it be a CPO. I can get an extended warranty while it is still covered (if I am correct).

The other option is to wait until I start seeing lease turn ins for 2014 and look for the options I want. Obviously, that is my least favorite option. However, I will keep this car for 6 to 7 years so I want to make sure I get the best option and get the most for my money. My 2007 LS460 will not depreciate much in one more year.

One other question; are the prices of the new 2014 GS350s similar to the 2013's when they were new. If so, then the used ones should be in the same price range in about 6 months but with a few more options included.
CPO is nice to have but they only warrant Engine and Transmission and some other big expenses. Lexus and most cars these days do not have problem with either in at least 50,000 miles or so.
Plus CPO is only a year or two at most depending on the car maker.

With Lexus I would not worry about as long as it under 50k. But IMO I would look for under 15,000 miles car, just because it still smells like new.

Also, you may find that some people will post their cars for sale on this forum, just a few days ago some one did. It could be a great deal.
Old 06-11-14, 09:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

To original poster. You said the lease return has cold weather package? This is my favorite option thats included in my car too. When you have cold weather package they also install DOUBLE pane window glass and I can tell a big difference in wind noise compared to my cousins 2013 GS350 without this option. Also the water repellant glass is very good if it rains or snows alot where you live
Old 06-11-14, 10:20 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has double pane front windows and I don't have the cold weather package. Are these windows standard on all 2014 models now?
Old 06-11-14, 11:18 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
To original poster. You said the lease return has cold weather package? This is my favorite option thats included in my car too. When you have cold weather package they also install DOUBLE pane window glass and I can tell a big difference in wind noise compared to my cousins 2013 GS350 without this option. Also the water repellant glass is very good if it rains or snows alot where you live
YEP, this is why I say buy a fully loaded 2013 GS and enjoy all the toys
Old 06-11-14, 11:18 AM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! It is good to know about the CPO. If I wind up getting the one with higher mileage, I might look into getting an extended warranty (depending on the cost).
Old 06-11-14, 11:19 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Mine has double pane front windows and I don't have the cold weather package. Are these windows standard on all 2014 models now?
no they not. I dont think you have double pane windows. it only comes with cold weather pkg.
Old 06-11-14, 11:34 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

CPO is bumper to bumper with trip interruption,road service, free first oil change, and loaner for 3 years from date of purchase and/or up to $100K miles according to my documentation. Make sure the car is advertised as CPO and not CPO ready. Ask me how I know.....
Old 06-11-14, 12:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FastTags
no they not. I dont think you have double pane windows. it only comes with cold weather pkg.
You don't think so? The dealer must've taped 2 windows together then.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 06-11-14 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 vs. 2014 Questions