GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hit 1,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 11:03 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Could it be your expectation was a bit too high? Did you buy the car in a hurry? It seems like most of these "unhappiness" are not surprises. What did you have before Lexus GS? I test drove and test drove the other guys in the group and still feel GS is a great car for its price range. If you feel the car has trouble finding gears, why not drive in M mode where you can somewhat control your own gear? After 25K, I'm still a happy owner. A little here and there could be better but overall it's a great car for the money IMO.
Old 06-06-14, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You have the 6 speed though, like I do. He has the 8 speed.
Old 06-06-14, 11:08 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I do have an 8 speed in my new Jeep, and can compare it to my previous Jeep which was the same engine with a 5 speed. The 5 speed was woefully under-geared with the MPG tuning they had programmed into it.

The 8 speed is a HUGE improvement around town. It really feels like an entirely different vehicle. Better pickup, more nimble. On the highway though when downshifting to pass or something like that, it's a little awkward, hangs up a split second, has to drop down 2-3 gears to get the oomph it needs. It does loaf along at about 1600 RPM at 75 MPH...

I think 6 speeds is about the sweet spot...

This is all what you're used to. I never have to look at the book on a Lexus because I know how everything works because I've had them for so long. Nav, menus, everything is just second nature to me. Comparing it to the Jeep, much bigger learning curve but the Jeep's infotainment can do a lot more.
I dont look at the book anymore, but the fist couple days I was asking questions on the forum and looking inside the book. I understand that you have to get used to new system etc. The thing is if I were to compare Acura infosys vs. Lexus, Acura blows it out the water. It is super fast.

When I start the GS, before even the screen appears, I shift to R, and I have to wait 3-5s before the rear camera apears. In Acura for example, the Rear camera appears as SOON as you shift. No need to wait for the screen to populate.

Lexus infosystem is just slow, compare to Acura.

Could it be your expectation was a bit too high? Did you buy the car in a hurry? It seems like most of these "unhappiness" are not surprises. What did you have before Lexus GS? I test drove and test drove the other guys in the group and still feel GS is a great car for its price range. If you feel the car has trouble finding gears, why not drive in M mode where you can somewhat control your own gear? After 25K, I'm still a happy owner. A little here and there could be better but overall it's a great car for the money IMO.
I did not buy it in the hurry. I have been soul searching for over 3 month. I have test drove over 12 cars, new and used. When I test drove the car, I did not notice anything unusual about the tranny, perhaps it was not an 8sp, but a 6sp. I dont think I would notice that right away anyway. I bought GS350 because it was a smart thing to do. I underestimated the importance of the transmission.

Last edited by FastTags; 06-06-14 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 11:42 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
I just wanted to vent out. I find that auto makers always miss something as if they don't ever listen to the buyers, or previous owners. They have all these surveys yet they do what they think its good, not what the majority wants.

I bet every each and one of you can easily make 3-4 changes to any car, and it will be well desired!

Think about how many people, black out the chrome, how many people would love to change the rear cover from yellow to red. etc...
If they gave us everything in the first year they wouldn't have anything to refreshen the car after two years.

Sorry about your unhappiness with the car.
Old 06-06-14, 11:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you lease, or buy?

Have you thought about getting out of the car, whether it's a lease takeover, or selling the car? Obviously you stand to lose a LOT of money at this stage in depreciation. If you're truly not happy, why keep fighting it? Just go get the car you really wanted...sounds like Acura.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-14, 11:48 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Did you lease, or buy?

Have you thought about getting out of the car, whether it's a lease takeover, or selling the car? Obviously you stand to lose a LOT of money at this stage in depreciation. If you're truly not happy, why keep fighting it? Just go get the car you really wanted...sounds like Acura.

Good luck.
Lease. No I will not be getting rid of it. I will drive 'till lease is up.

I wish Acura spent more time understanding its customers, instead they choose to pick their nose. I like How Acura drives and its easy use of Infosystem that works, but they lack of interior design and quality materials, and of course lack of HP.

Even the new RLX is not near as good when it comes to design and quality materials. It Still is missing the HP, they do however have a HYBRID coming out this year, which should have more power, still lack of Luxury feel

Last edited by FastTags; 06-06-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 12:08 PM
Fsmile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own an 14 GS and I dont think the transmission is that bad as you said.
I always drive in S mode with the paddle shifter and that works totally great for me!
You can try S+ mode and that makes the downshifting a littble bit quicker.
My Nav works very good compared to my friends mini cooper and never makes me lost.
Old 06-06-14, 12:34 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsmile
I own an 14 GS and I dont think the transmission is that bad as you said.
I always drive in S mode with the paddle shifter and that works totally great for me!
You can try S+ mode and that makes the downshifting a littble bit quicker.
My Nav works very good compared to my friends mini cooper and never makes me lost.
Between S and S+ I believe the only difference is tightening of the suspension and steering. The throttle is the same. Turn it to S and look at the nav screen and do the same for S+. You will see what I am talking about. Downshifting will work the same in both mode.
Old 06-06-14, 01:28 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

one thing i gotta agree with is the infotainment system and the NAV. My nav randomly froze one time on the free way and ive always made wrong turns of ignored a turn because of the design of the nav. Really needs to be improved but sadly it probably won't anytime soon
Old 06-08-14, 08:30 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Infamous3
one thing i gotta agree with is the infotainment system and the NAV. My nav randomly froze one time on the free way and ive always made wrong turns of ignored a turn because of the design of the nav. Really needs to be improved but sadly it probably won't anytime soon
Mine never froze, but I agree about making wrong turns and it just navigates you wrong. It would tell me ti make a turn where there is not turn, or last night it told me to get iff the FReeway, but there was no exist.

Also, it wont always finds the best route.
Old 06-08-14, 11:32 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the downshifting issue. I shift manually when passing now, car seems to like to stay in one gear.
Old 06-09-14, 05:55 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Glad to see I'm not the only one with the downshifting issue. I shift manually when passing now, car seems to like to stay in one gear.

To me one of the worst parts is when I make turns, I notice it shift to 4th gear when I make turns, which makes it very hard to speed up right after and ready to hit GO, and instead it just playing catchup.
Old 06-09-14, 08:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

All this can be fixed with a software update and I already reported this issue with Lexus on the new car survey, so hopefully they'll listen and issue an update.
Old 06-09-14, 09:11 AM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
All this can be fixed with a software update and I already reported this issue with Lexus on the new car survey, so hopefully they'll listen and issue an update.
In sport mode, mine rev-matches and downshifts automatically. If anything, it's actually too aggressive down-shifting. This is with a 6-sp though so it's not a straight up comparison. Maybe you should have Lexus take a look at yours.
Old 06-09-14, 09:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flippd
In sport mode, mine rev-matches and downshifts automatically. If anything, it's actually too aggressive down-shifting. This is with a 6-sp though so it's not a straight up comparison. Maybe you should have Lexus take a look at yours.
6 speed is no problem, it's the new 8 speed I think is too many gears for a V6. Maybe the V8 in the ISF can handle it better.

Quick Reply: Hit 1,000 miles