GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 F Sport Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 05:39 PM
boukaal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 F Sport Manual Shift

Just went from a '13 F Sport to a '14 F Sport. In the '13 if I would down shift more than one gear, it would skip the gears in between (ex: in 6th, three quick bumps down to 3rd, it would jump straight to 3rd). Now if I do the same, it stops at each gear along the way so it shifts to 5th, then 4th, then 3rd, which takes forever to get there (and seems like it defeats the purpose of the manual). It doesn't do this in auto if I just floor it.

Is this the by design with the new transmission?!
Old 05-31-14, 10:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Last time I downshift 2 gears (from 4th to 2nd) by using the shifter it changes to 2nd almost immediately. I did it pretty quickly. I'm going to try downshifting more gears and see how mine does it. It is a lot of gears to downshift, especially when you're in 8th gear.

Does anyone know if the car will upshift automatically when it hits redline when in Manual mode or will it just bounce back? My Camry wouldn't let the needle hit redline.
Old 06-01-14, 07:05 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Its simple both the 13fsport and 14fsort shift the same even though both cars have different amount of gears.

In full manual mode with sport setting one click + will shift up one gear while one click - will downshift one gear. Manual mode will shift one at a time. One shift per click.

In Auto D mode while cruising the highway in sport mode one click - will down shift two gears and two clicks - will down shift two more gears so it will go from 8th gear to 6th gear and then to 4th gear skipping gears in between.
A + shift will only shift one gear at a time up though. And depending on your cruising speed sometimes the downshift will skip 3 gears instead of two as needed by current conditions.
Old 06-01-14, 11:11 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Last time I downshift 2 gears (from 4th to 2nd) by using the shifter it changes to 2nd almost immediately. I did it pretty quickly. I'm going to try downshifting more gears and see how mine does it. It is a lot of gears to downshift, especially when you're in 8th gear.

Does anyone know if the car will upshift automatically when it hits redline when in Manual mode or will it just bounce back? My Camry wouldn't let the needle hit redline.
In M and S+ mode it will keep bouncing on the redline until you shift it.
Old 06-02-14, 04:57 AM
kpfury
Driver School Candidate

Not to jack the thread, but I have a related question for a 2014 FSport AWD. If I put it in Sport mode (not S+) and keep it in automatic Drive, when I hit the brakes hard from say 60-70mph the car will downshift and the RPM rev up to say 4-5k.

If I hit the accelerator again right away the car doesn't up shift, rather engine climbs higher and higher towards redline. Is this normal, and once it hits red will up shift? I have <1k miles so didn't want to wait to see if it eventually up shifts, so I just manually up shifted w/ the paddles...
Old 06-02-14, 09:14 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kpfury
Not to jack the thread, but I have a related question for a 2014 FSport AWD. If I put it in Sport mode (not S+) and keep it in automatic Drive, when I hit the brakes hard from say 60-70mph the car will downshift and the RPM rev up to say 4-5k.

If I hit the accelerator again right away the car doesn't up shift, rather engine climbs higher and higher towards redline. Is this normal, and once it hits red will up shift? I have <1k miles so didn't want to wait to see if it eventually up shifts, so I just manually up shifted w/ the paddles...
The car is designed to do this, when in S mode the behaves as if you were at a track. Brake hard before a corner, car downshifts and puts rpm at optimal point to accelerate out of the corner, this gives you more power without having to downshift again. Once the car redlines it will automatically shift up if you are still in D (automatic). Hope this helps
Old 06-02-14, 09:31 AM
kpfury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
The car is designed to do this, when in S mode the behaves as if you were at a track. Brake hard before a corner, car downshifts and puts rpm at optimal point to accelerate out of the corner, this gives you more power without having to downshift again. Once the car redlines it will automatically shift up if you are still in D (automatic). Hope this helps
Cool, that's what I thought. Because the car is still very new, I'm resisting the urge to gun it up to red this early on and didn't want to test this theory. Thanks!