GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-sport 14 mpg expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 09:19 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I think you guys drive way too hard on the streets which is a good thing because thats the whole reason for most of us buying this car.
I drive very gently until the engine has warmed up. In the winter, the engine doesn't warm up before my commute is finished (I drive to the train station, and it's literally a 5 minute trip), so the whole trip is done with a light touch on the gas pedal and low RPM. I'm not complaining about the mileage under those conditions (or any others actually) since every car gets poor mileage in that scenario.
Old 05-30-14, 02:39 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It has the V6. My new one has the 8 speed, but I just refilled it for the first time so my experience comes even from my previous 2011 Jeep that had the 5 speed. I expect better mileage with the 8 speed.

I'm not attacking you, but you refuse to acknowledge that your reported mileage is completely different than that of EVERYBODY else who has reported their mileage on this forum, and even far higher than what is reported by the EPA or the manufacturer. If you are truly reading from your readout, something is wrong. Literally nobody reports mileage within 40% of what you are reporting. That doesn't strike you as curious?

You're talking as if I'm the only one reporting low mileage. I'm not...98% of the people here are reporting mileage as low or lower than mine...and I'm not the person who started the thread. Search this forum, there are many threads on this subject going back to when the 4GS first came out. ECL is not claiming to be getting the advertised mileage. I have no problem believing you can be getting 20MPG city in a RWD on 100% non-ethanol fuel. He's saying he's getting 29 city....nearly 50% better mileage than you. THAT I do not believe.

You have to understand that most people do not have access to fuel that is not 10% ethanol...I don't...and most people are still coming off winter blend fuels which reduce MPG.

Take my comment with a grain of salt? I'm the only one who posted pictures of my MPG readouts and mileage...and my experience mirrors the majority of others here. I don't think its my comments that should be taken with a grain of salt. You guys with mileage over 20 are the outliers, not those of us with mileage under 20.

My car is not driven hard, its driven normally...and I never use sport mode. I've had 6 Lexus vehicles, including two ES's and two LS's. All of them got better mileage than the GS. The V8 LS actually gets surprisingly good mileage, as you know.
Sorry, I didnt realized he said 29 mpg city. Wheni read his post I thought I saw 29mpg hwy. Now I get where your coming from. But anyways maby he made a typo in his post or maby he forgot to mention he drives a GS 450h? Or like you said maby his mpg readout is calibrated wrong and or broken.
Old 05-30-14, 05:47 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

No, that's the same guy who has claimed 29mpg with 100% city driving for years now. It's completely false.
Old 05-30-14, 06:28 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Sorry, I didnt realized he said 29 mpg city. Wheni read his post I thought I saw 29mpg hwy. Now I get where your coming from. But anyways maby he made a typo in his post or maby he forgot to mention he drives a GS 450h? Or like you said maby his mpg readout is calibrated wrong and or broken.
I never claimed to get 29 MPG with city driving. I do consistently see 25-28 MPG in Tucson. It is suburban driving, never over 45 MPH, with some traffic lights, some one to two mile stretches without a stop. That is the miles traveled divided by the gas consumed. The computer in the car seems to read about 0.5 MPG low. I never use ECO mode, often use Sport +. On the highway, I get 27-30 MPG. YMMV.
Old 05-30-14, 07:52 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
which gas station carry 0% ethanol?
I think some sites like http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX and the like have listings for 100% gasoline stations, for people with boats, small engines, dirt bikes, etc. If you're in a major metro area in Texas, chances are the city has mandated 10% ethanol, so you'll have to venture outside of town (maybe WAY outside) to get real gas.

Personally I'm tired of the crappy ethanol blends, I wish they'd just give up on it altogether. Why are we paying a premium for fuel that's not even pure gasoline? I could see if there was a 50c/gal discount, it might be worth it, but we aren't even given a choice here.
Old 05-30-14, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
That is the miles traveled divided by the gas consumed.
Somewhere in your calculation theres an error. A gallon of gas unaccounted for, etc.
Old 05-30-14, 09:30 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I usually fill up until full, then reset my Trip A to zero and drive until the next refill. Then I divide the miles driven by the number of gallons on the receipt.
Old 05-30-14, 09:52 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V8 like MPG?

Huh?
Perhaps the lower MPG reports are from earlier GS models with the 6 speed automatic? I understand the 2014 ship with 8 speed automatics. That should help with MPG.

I'm thinking about a new F Sport for my wive's daily driver. MPG is what I think I'm going to get with the Lexus GS350 but at this rate, perhaps I would stay with BMW. My daily driver (550i V8) gets mid twenties when mostly highway and high teens around city.

MPG? What am I missing here?
Attached Thumbnails F-sport 14 mpg expectations?-f10-550i-mileage-to-lv.jpeg  
Old 05-31-14, 04:15 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Huh?
Perhaps the lower MPG reports are from earlier GS models with the 6 speed automatic? I understand the 2014 ship with 8 speed automatics. That should help with MPG.

I'm thinking about a new F Sport for my wive's daily driver. MPG is what I think I'm going to get with the Lexus GS350 but at this rate, perhaps I would stay with BMW. My daily driver (550i V8) gets mid twenties when mostly highway and high teens around city.

I have a 550 and get about the same mileage. The tankful I'm on right now is at 24.4 in Houston commuting from the suburbs to downtown in moderate stop and go driving. In the same conditions I got 26 in the Lexus
Old 05-31-14, 05:43 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Huh?

Dont know a out the 550 fuel consumption, but the new gs350 MPG sucks. Whe you drive as soon as you hit the gas peddal, it declines from 20mpg to 17. Do not buy if it is important to you. The new BMW have the "refined electronic steering". Very loose, and doesnt feel precise. I drove the 435i and the new 550i both car drove great exept for the steering!
Old 05-31-14, 05:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
I never claimed to get 29 MPG with city driving. I do consistently see 25-28 MPG in Tucson. It is suburban driving, never over 45 MPH, with some traffic lights, some one to two mile stretches without a stop. That is the miles traveled divided by the gas consumed. The computer in the car seems to read about 0.5 MPG low. I never use ECO mode, often use Sport +. On the highway, I get 27-30 MPG. YMMV.
You're right on never posting 29.
You posted...
"I consistently get 27-28 MPG on my 2013 F-Sport, all in town driving"

Now it's down to 25 MPG with "suburban" driving.
Old 05-31-14, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I would buy it again despite the mileage, but it's definitely not as good as I thought it would be.
Old 05-31-14, 06:32 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Dont know a out the 550 fuel consumption, but the new gs350 MPG sucks. Whe you drive as soon as you hit the gas peddal, it declines from 20mpg to 17. Do not buy if it is important to you. The new BMW have the "refined electronic steering". Very loose, and doesnt feel precise. I drove the 435i and the new 550i both car drove great exept for the steering!
The Lexus has good steering, but there is nothing loose or imprecise about the steering on my 550.
Old 05-31-14, 06:39 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The Lexus has good steering, but there is nothing loose or imprecise about the steering on my 550.
Is your 550 a 2014 model?
Old 05-31-14, 11:24 AM
IanRuhten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV But, with these reports, I wonder how long before someone files a class action?

With that said... I read these reports, and will still pickup a new GS this weekend

Quick Reply: F-sport 14 mpg expectations?