GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Unhappy with my remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 03:05 PM
r2xj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Is it your first car with remote start? I think I would be happy with it if I didn't already have a car with a better remote start.
Yes, it is, and perhaps that is why! But so far, there hasn't been any time I've wanted to use it that it hasn't worked.
Old 05-23-14, 08:36 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed an aftermarket module for oem fob remote start, works flawless and from a good distance.
Old 05-24-14, 05:32 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps some people get OEM starters some get after market who knows. The reality is that many unhappy customers with whatever Lexus instals.
Old 05-24-14, 05:34 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know why everyones complaining about the remote start range. My remote start range is excellent. I use it everyday. I can remote start my car at my works parking lot at leasts 200 feet away. This is with a parking lot filled with cars and trucks at least 4 rows of car seperating the parking lot to my car. I think most people dont hold the lock button long enough on the third press.

I will make a video one day and put it on youtube to prove it. My remote start is an oem part installed by lexus when I purchase my 2014GS350 in march. I am the first owner of the vehicle so I know its factory oem.

It also helps if you put the remote by your chin/cheek while pressing the lock button to extend the range. Idont know why but this works like a charm.

I remember when I was researching to buy a new gs350. I read alot of post on clublexus from many members complaining about the Lexus oem remote start. This was one option I was considering not getting on my GSdue to poor reviews. I got it installed anyways because its oem and I like Lexus to install it because if anything bad goes wrong they are responsible for it. Ive had a bad experiance with after market remotestart/alarms installed. Ive had my dads camry installed a professional car audio install place and they screwed up the wiring and caused a short in the electrical system. They didnt even solder the connections, they just electrical tape allthe wire splices. So over time the wires came loose and caused a small fire. The toyota dealer refuse to repair for damages and i had to sue the car audio installation place. I eventually got my money back and money to repair the toyota but it took 6 months and lots of time and energy so it was not really worth having a third party install the system. This is why I will always take the Factory Oem version.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 05-24-14 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 05:53 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Question is what is OEM. My Lexus dealer installed an Audiovox.
Old 05-24-14, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Perhaps some people get OEM starters some get after market who knows. The reality is that many unhappy customers with whatever Lexus instals.
Question is what is OEM. My Lexus dealer installed an Audiovox.
The people who are complaining got the OEM Lexus remote starter. If your Lexus installed an Audiovox starter, you don't have the OEM remote starter. Its a Toyota part.

It would not surprise me at all if some dealers have decided to use an aftermarket starter for people who want a remote starter because customers are happier with the product.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I dont know why everyones complaining about the remote start range. My remote start range is excellent. I use it everyday. I can remote start my car at my works parking lot at leasts 200 feet away. This is with a parking lot filled with cars and trucks at least 4 rows of car seperating the parking lot to my car. I think most people dont hold the lock button long enough on the third press.

I will make a video one day and put it on youtube to prove it. My remote start is an oem part installed by lexus when I purchase my 2014GS350 in march. I am the first owner of the vehicle so I know its factory oem.
You have a 2014, I think all of us complaining have 2013s. Could be that the 2014 product is better. Does yours cut the engine off when you open the door?

Also, are you sure that it was factory installed. Was it on the window sticker? Could be that it was dealer installed, and if thats the case it may not be the OEM part.

I can tell you for sure that my remote start would not work in that situation.
Old 05-24-14, 08:28 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Yes mines cut the engine off when I open the doors. The car will stay on for 10 minutes before shutoff. I can only remote start 2 times only after that I have to manually start it. Remote start will NOT shut off if I access the trunk. The alarm will sound if I open thehood or doors from inside the car. If hood is already open when I activate remote start the vehicle will still start. I am pretty sure its oem.

Remote starter was not an added option on the window sticker but its dealer installed accessory requested by me during the sale. Remote starter came with two white Lexus keyring tags that has instructions on how to use remote start.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 05-24-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 09:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Yes mines cut the engine off when I open the doors. The car will stay on for 10 minutes before shutoff. I can only remote start 2 times only after that I have to manually start it. Remote start will NOT shut off if I access the trunk. The alarm will sound if I open thehood or doors from inside the car. If hood is already open when I activate remote start the vehicle will still start. I am pretty sure its oem. Remote starter was not an added option on the window sticker but its dealer installed accessory requested by me during the sale. Remote starter came with two white Lexus keyring tags that has instructions on how to use remote start.
Interesting about the trunk. Viper shuts the car down when the trunk is opened.
Old 05-24-14, 09:25 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Interesting about the trunk. Viper shuts the car down when the trunk is opened.
LOL. sounds like the installer got the trunk and hood pin wiring flipped.
Old 05-24-14, 10:08 AM
r2xj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is, as sure as I can be, the OEM RES module. They put the stickers on the window, gave me the RES keytags with instructions, as well as a little booklet for RES. I haven't been in the exact same position as AL13NV8D3R, but I've been in enough similar situations that I'm fairly confident mine would work in that situation as well. I do have a 2014, but I'm not sure the part is any different than the 2013 model. Could it perhaps be that some dealers aren't installing the antenna properly or maybe at all?
Old 05-24-14, 10:31 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

As I stated in another thread, my car will start with hood open. Should be a no no. Did not even get a warning sticker nor did I get any pertinent info on the audiovox RS. Will the alarm sound if doors are locked and if hood is somehow opened? Sure hope they did not screw up my factory alarm system.
Old 05-24-14, 02:22 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

My remote starter goes pretty far. Here's a trick to increase range. Hold the remote on your chin when pressing the buttons. Guaranteed to increase the range. Try it before you call me crazy.
Old 05-24-14, 06:43 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by obadea
My remote starter goes pretty far. Here's a trick to increase range. Hold the remote on your chin when pressing the buttons. Guaranteed to increase the range. Try it before you call me crazy.
+1 Yes this works for me too it turns my 200ft range closer to 250ft range with 3 or more rows of cars between me and my GS.
Old 05-25-14, 11:45 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this something that is really needed? I know cold mornings, hot days. What else?
Old 05-25-14, 02:41 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 2014. We agreed that i would go to the dealer in Monday again, and if they cant fix it they will give me my $ back. Or install the after market one.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with my remote starter