GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Beat-Sonic BB6223 NAV/DVD Bypass Module Install Tips & Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 12:00 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beat-Sonic BB6223 NAV/DVD Bypass Module Install Tips & Review

I got my bypass module early and I installed it yesterday. The module is packaged nicely and the instructions are very detailed. The install was much easier than i thought it would be, and only took 30 minutes.

Tools Needed
-Ratchet with 10mm socket and extension (works for radio screws and negative battery terminal)
-Flat head screwdriver (used to release the the harness clip from the radio)
-Panel removal tool (if you don't have one use a thin, wide flat head screwdriver. Just wrap it in electrical tape so it doesn't mar anything)
-Towel (Used to protect console when the radio is pulled out, make sure the top and the sides of the console are covered)
-Wire puller/Grabber (not necessary, but makes it easier to run the cable for the switch)
-Zip ties (used to secure antenna leads ,will explain later)
-Electrical tape ( i used electrical tape to hold the plugs together instead of the urethane insulation tape that comes with the module)

Install
If you follow the instructions that come with the kit you will not have any issues. Here are a few tips that are not in the instructions:
-Step 2: Use a small flat head to pry the grey bracket of the plug carefully.
-Step 2: There are 2 antenna plugs on the module. The instructions don't say anything about them so i contacted Beat-sonic prior to installing the module to see if they are supposed to be plugged in. They are not. Once the harness is plugged back into the radio use zip ties to secure the antenna lead ends (they are plastic) to a harness on the back of the radio so they do not rattle in the dash.
-Step 2: The instructions don't say where to mount the module. I mounted it on the bottom of the radio beside what I think is the factory Bluetooth module. Try not to cover the ventilation holes when you position it. The module comes with a large strip of double sided tape on it.

-Step 2:The switch is small and looks nice, however i still wanted to put it somewhere hidden. I mounted it under the dash below the parking brake button. Its easy to reach while driving and the LED on the switch can be seen if you kneel down. (need to see the light for programming purposes)

-Step 2: I wanted to make sure everything functioned correctly before i put the dash back together. I put the radio back in and removed the start button from the trim panel (just squeeze two clips and it comes right out) so i could test it out without snapping the panel back on.

I went for a quick test drive and everything worked as described.Once everything was back together i programmed the module.

Programming
The programming instructions are detailed and easy to follow. I the timer on my module to off so once i turn it on, I have to use the button to turn it back off.

This is a great DIY project, made easier by detailed instructions.

Last edited by BailsVT; 07-14-14 at 08:35 AM. Reason: To fix picture links
Old 05-18-14, 03:48 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice review but I can't see any of the install pics...
Old 05-18-14, 04:53 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Thank you. This is the first time I've used Google Drive to host pictures so I'll have to go back and see whats going on. In the mean time if you right click the picture links then select open in new tab the pictures will open.

Originally Posted by Allb18c
Nice review but I can't see any of the install pics...
Old 05-18-14, 05:14 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for doing this, I got mine but haven't installed it yet. Much appreciated!
Old 05-18-14, 06:52 PM
LexFather

I have BeatSonic units in all my Lexus cars and they perform flawlessly
Old 05-18-14, 09:57 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i just did mine a few hours ago. super easy - totally worth it. cant beat the price on them right now either!
Old 05-19-14, 02:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

What does it allow you to do?
Old 05-19-14, 05:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another tip is when you pull off some of the trim pieces, you need to retrieve the white clip anchors that may get left behind when you remove a panel. If you dont and then put the panel back on you push the clip and it will fall into some hard to reach spot. The white anchor clips are needed for it to fasten tightly or you will have loose panels. Just resnap the anchor back on the trim piece. I pushed in a couple anchor clips and I had to retake everything apart to get them back because some of the panels felt loose
Old 05-19-14, 06:55 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

It bypasses the DVD and nav/phone lockouts that kick on while your driving. Once you install the bypass you can play dvds and enter addresses, phone numbers, etc while driving.

Originally Posted by jjscsix
What does it allow you to do?
Old 05-19-14, 06:59 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

No problem. It amazes me how easy these cars are to work on.

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
Thanks for doing this, I got mine but haven't installed it yet. Much appreciated!
Old 05-19-14, 07:50 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...xus-100-a.html

Killer group buy going on right now, only $100!
Old 05-19-14, 01:21 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this make the F-Sport to be able to play DVD videos?
Old 05-19-14, 06:08 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BailsVT
It bypasses the DVD and nav/phone lockouts that kick on while your driving. Once you install the bypass you can play dvds and enter addresses, phone numbers, etc while driving.
Thanks, that is what I wondered. It is the first car I have had that blacks out the contacts when moving.
Old 05-19-14, 08:41 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
will this make the F-Sport to be able to play DVD videos?
the GS will play dvds in park only... once you shift into drive it will black it out. if you install this module, it will enable the dvd player in motion.
Old 05-22-14, 05:22 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to be clear, if i understand correctly:

This system will restore all the functionality that the factory removes when you start moving, but as long as it's engaged your nav system thinks your car is not moving, so you get no moving map, nav guidance, etc.

There are times that I find the blackout annoying, but most of the time I would NOT want the nav to be "stopped.

So in practice, I'd have to press that little button to do the disabled function, and press it again to disable the override.

Does that sum it up correctly?

BTW, I have zero need for anyone to watch video while moving.

Quick Reply: Beat-Sonic BB6223 NAV/DVD Bypass Module Install Tips & Review