GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the AWD higher than the RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 08:19 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is the AWD higher than the RWD?

We know that it helps with ground clearance and protecting the extra parts required for an AWD system but what parts make it higher? Is it taller springs? Different/taller suspension parts? What part(s) is it? Anyone know?

I was thinking of this as I am getting tanabe rwd springs for my AWD f sport but from all the pictures I see it doesn't look to lower the car as much as the rwd version with the same springs or is it just the pictures that make it look that way?
Old 05-07-14, 08:48 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

The springs are longer than the RWD.

I have no idea why Lexus and Infiniti think they need to make AWD variants of their cars also offered in RWD the same height as SUV. Audi and BMW offer AWD cars and apart from the Allroad they are all the same height as their 2WD counterparts. All of the Audi RS and S cars all have lowered sport suspensions.
Old 05-07-14, 09:01 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Agreed it looks horrible at stock height and the gs is a nice liking car outside of that.

So having said that if I put the RWD springs on the car it will be as low as an RWD GS on Tanabes?
Old 05-08-14, 04:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
Agreed it looks horrible at stock height and the gs is a nice liking car outside of that.

So having said that if I put the RWD springs on the car it will be as low as an RWD GS on Tanabes?
What, no there the Tanabe's would be lower unless you mean putting Tanabe springs in would make it lower, yes that would be lower but not putting the RWD springs that would probably not do much.
Old 05-08-14, 04:39 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Sorry to clarify - would putting rwd tanabe lowering springs on an awd make it as low as putting rwd tanabe lowering springs on a rwd car?

Basically is the only thing making the awd higher is the stock spring length?
Old 05-08-14, 06:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That's correct.
Old 05-08-14, 06:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by N54MPower
The springs are longer than the RWD.

I have no idea why Lexus and Infiniti think they need to make AWD variants of their cars also offered in RWD the same height as SUV. Audi and BMW offer AWD cars and apart from the Allroad they are all the same height as their 2WD counterparts. All of the Audi RS and S cars all have lowered sport suspensions.
because some people use AWD for driving in snow, mud, heavy rain, etc, etc?

When I had GS350 AWD, I appreciated larger distance from the ground than regular version.

If you dont drive in bad weather, then RWD is much better choice anyway. It is faster and more fun to drive.
Old 05-08-14, 07:50 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Ground clearance is definitely appreciated in the winter. I have a picture somewhere of my driveway after a snowstorm, with a channel carved out of the snow several inches deep by my FWD Accord with winter tires on it. A little bit more snow and it would become a plow. So I guess they figure AWD cars will be sold mainly in markets where that kind of weather happens, thus need adequate ground clearance to get through.
Old 05-08-14, 08:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
because some people use AWD for driving in snow, mud, heavy rain, etc, etc?

When I had GS350 AWD, I appreciated larger distance from the ground than regular version.

If you dont drive in bad weather, then RWD is much better choice anyway. It is faster and more fun to drive.
Originally Posted by FishBike
Ground clearance is definitely appreciated in the winter. I have a picture somewhere of my driveway after a snowstorm, with a channel carved out of the snow several inches deep by my FWD Accord with winter tires on it. A little bit more snow and it would become a plow. So I guess they figure AWD cars will be sold mainly in markets where that kind of weather happens, thus need adequate ground clearance to get through.
What who needs clearance, we had more than a foot of snow and me and my friend plowed that, but yeah in all seriousness the clearance is good but I have a second vehicle so that helps in winter.