GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 09:17 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Since the GS engine bay is designed to hold a V8, stands to reason it should be able to take either the 4.6 or 5L V8 engines.
Not sure about the engineering work required though....
Very interesting, it would probably need custom engine mounts, custom engine harness, axles it would probably be like my K20 swap in my integra. Hmm need to talk to some local builders and price everything out to see if it's worth it or not. That will be sweet if there is a v8 under my gs.
Old 04-22-14, 09:34 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSTONY
Very interesting, it would probably need custom engine mounts, custom engine harness, axles it would probably be like my K20 swap in my integra. Hmm need to talk to some local builders and price everything out to see if it's worth it or not. That will be sweet if there is a v8 under my gs.
If your going to do that might as well do a 2j or a LS swap
Old 04-22-14, 11:06 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoriSaru15
If your going to do that might as well do a 2j or a LS swap
Well that route is probably the cheapest route compared to a 2jz, and I rather have the isf tranny since it probably will go right up and still have 8 gears compared to a 4-5 gear auto tranny plus there would probably be more dash lights using a 2j swap. 2jz is my top 5 favorite motors I would do that swap to a 2 gs since that just more smarter and easier to do.
Old 04-23-14, 09:10 AM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Well that route is probably the cheapest route compared to a 2jz, and I rather have the isf tranny since it probably will go right up and still have 8 gears compared to a 4-5 gear auto tranny plus there would probably be more dash lights using a 2j swap. 2jz is my top 5 favorite motors I would do that swap to a 2 gs since that just more smarter and easier to do.
Actually jz is the cheapest route. Cheapest 2URGSE I seen is about 7000 and the trans for 5000. You would still need to source out the ECU and wiring. A jz front clip is less then 2000 and front clips comes with everything. If you wanted a V160 trans with the jz it will be about 5000. So the front clip and trans will be still cheaper then the ISF parts.
Old 04-23-14, 09:49 AM
RYKR
Rookie

Should have bought a IS-F to begin with or wait for the actual GS-F ...
Old 04-23-14, 01:09 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Not worth it for low boost applications. I had a bolt on TRD supercharger in my 2000 Camry XLE V6. Yes I know a Camry but I was young and foolish with money to burn back then. LOL Anyway, the car still runs to day with the supercharger still running. I sold the car to my roommate and so far still no reliability issues after 14+ years of boost. We just had to replace the belt and idler pulley once. Not bad at all.

But the issues we did have was how cramped the SC made things. Changing spark plugs was next to impossible without unbolting the supercharger. Recharging the AC required unbolting the supercharger as well until my mechanic friend was able to jury rig a flexible hose adapter for me but even that was a pain. Gas mileage really suffered and we only ran 4psi of boost. There were also a lot of other little tidbits but overall I would not boost my GS350 even if there was a bolt on kit.
Old 04-23-14, 02:54 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Will kill resale value on a car like a GS. And please don't tell me you will remove it and screw the person who buys it. If you are okay with that, go for it.
Why? What are the cons? I seriously don't know
Old 04-23-14, 08:29 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoriSaru15
Actually jz is the cheapest route. Cheapest 2URGSE I seen is about 7000 and the trans for 5000. You would still need to source out the ECU and wiring. A jz front clip is less then 2000 and front clips comes with everything. If you wanted a V160 trans with the jz it will be about 5000. So the front clip and trans will be still cheaper then the ISF parts.
So your saying a 2jz will work on the gs and be cheaper? That's pretty good
Old 04-24-14, 08:12 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheapest route is to buy a dedicated track car.
Old 04-24-14, 08:33 AM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

So your saying a 2jz will work on the gs and be cheaper? That's pretty good
Yes, JZ or LS swaps are cheaper compared to a UR, but it will still cost a little more compared to a jz into an older lexus because no one has ever done the swap on the new GS. There is one company that I know of that did a 2jz swap into IS350 XE30 which was Evasive. That thing is awesome

Originally Posted by terrycs
That is correct
Old 04-24-14, 09:43 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by terrycs
Yes I'm looking into that at the moment, planning just to get a miata and boost it for drifting.
Old 04-24-14, 09:48 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RYKR
Should have bought a IS-F to begin with or wait for the actual GS-F ...
Yea no need when the wife drive the isf, I love modding my cars to the next level. That's the fun thing about owning a car, Been doing these type of thing since I was 16.
Old 04-24-14, 09:59 AM
RYKR
Rookie

IMO the 4th gen GS350 is a great car to mod to look nice, but is the wrong car to make it go faster ... i think the money is better spent on a real sports car
Old 04-26-14, 09:27 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

IMO the 4th gen GS350 is a great car to mod to look nice, but is the wrong car to make it go faster ... i think the money is better spent on a real sports car
Yes that's why I just picked up a miata for a track and drift car, my gs will just be my cruiser
Old 04-26-14, 10:29 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Yes that's why I just picked up a miata for a track and drift car, my gs will just be my cruiser

Quick Reply: supercharger question