GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car will run with out key inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 08:11 PM
Abermac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car will run with out key inside

Noticed today, when having the car washed, that I had left the key in my pocket. The car went into the wash and started back up when the attendant got back in. Wonder what the range is for the key fob? I was somewhat surprised that the car started.
Old 04-13-14, 08:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine won't start if I'm outside of the car, even if I'm standing next to the driver door with the key in my pocket. I had a friend sit inside with his foot on the brakes and the car wouldn't start.
Old 04-13-14, 08:34 PM
Abermac
Rookie

That's exactly what I would have thought. Maybe they didn't turn the car off? I'll have to test tomorrow.
Old 04-13-14, 08:39 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Car won't start unless key is inside. You can drive away without the key inside if it's already started though (safety thing - imagine driving and getting out of range on the road and the car just dies?)
Old 04-13-14, 08:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
Car won't start unless key is inside. You can drive away without the key inside if it's already started though (safety thing - imagine driving and getting out of range on the road and the car just dies?)
Actually, I want it to be like that, you know in case of grand theft auto. You run away with my car and suddenly the car shuts off after a few feet.
Old 04-13-14, 09:01 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah same here, I have to have the key within close proximity to the start button.
Old 04-14-14, 03:01 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Actually, I want it to be like that, you know in case of grand theft auto. You run away with my car and suddenly the car shuts off after a few feet.
Agree! I would think its a bloody safe hazard if car can be hijacking driven away while key is outside.
Old 04-14-14, 06:22 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Lol it will still work until you shut it off. The car can drive for a while and won't shut off it will just blink that there is no key in proximity. It happened to my mother she drove off and I still had the key she got about 5 miles away and I called her said I have the key, even though she was still driving. I find that amazing.
Old 04-14-14, 06:43 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Lol it will still work until you shut it off. The car can drive for a while and won't shut off it will just blink that there is no key in proximity. It happened to my mother she drove off and I still had the key she got about 5 miles away and I called her said I have the key, even though she was still driving. I find that amazing.
Thank you for clarifying this. I have had my car running while offloading in front of my home. My face would be just a too stupid to visualize when someone dives off with it while me securely holding my keys i my secure pockets.

That is just a horrible glitch from Lexus..
Old 04-14-14, 06:47 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
Thank you for clarifying this. I have had my car running while offloading in front of my home. My face would be just a too stupid to visualize when someone dives off with it while me securely holding my keys i my secure pockets. That is just a horrible glitch from Lexus..
AFAIK all cars equipped with push start ignitions operate like this. It would be a huge liability if the car stopped mid drive. Just think, if the key battery died while you're driving the car would lose communication with the key and kill the engine.
Old 04-14-14, 06:57 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this... I have the keys in my pocket, go inside and start the car (not moving it), walked away for a few mins (btw 5-10 mins,) and come back my car is shut off. Does you car do that, or is it bc I have remote start programed that way?
Old 04-14-14, 06:58 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
AFAIK all cars equipped with push start ignitions operate like this. It would be a huge liability if the car stopped mid drive. Just think, if the key battery died while you're driving the car would lose communication with the key and kill the engine.
This is easily handled by a warning that vehicle is shutting down within 5 min.

Basically the same thing would happen if you pull a mechanical key out. Engine should stops. Period!
Old 04-14-14, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The carwash must have left it running. It will stay running without the key when started with the key, but it won't restart after being turned off.

Originally Posted by Neogenic
Thank you for clarifying this. I have had my car running while offloading in front of my home. My face would be just a too stupid to visualize when someone dives off with it while me securely holding my keys i my secure pockets.

That is just a horrible glitch from Lexus..
This is not a glitch, its the way all smart key systems are designed (with all manufacturers) and its set up that way for safety's sake.

Imagine what would happen if the battery went dead in the key or if somehow the system malfunctioned and lost detection of the key while you were driving down the highway at 80MPH and the system was set up the way you mention...the car would just stop running. Very unsafe.

Its no different than leaving your keys in the ignition with it running. If you left your car running with the keys in the ignition outside your house while unloading and someone drove off with it...would you complain?

When you leave the car unattended...turn it off.
Old 04-14-14, 08:41 AM
Abermac
Rookie

Good discussion! This definitely changes my thinking for even a quick stop at the gas station or at the carwash. I usually just left it running. Not such a good idea!
Old 04-14-14, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Leaving your car running unattended is never a good idea...in fact a lot of places its illegal...

Quick Reply: Car will run with out key inside