GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 01:36 PM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

A thread on the GS 350 vs. the CTS thread mentions an article comparing the CTS to the GS (see: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...350-awd/?all=1 ). The article states: "Inexplicably, the best of the Japanese offerings in this category – the Lexus GS – still averages well under 1,000 units moved each year, even after last year’s brilliant update. What gives?" So, obviously we love them, but what is missing? Lack of Lexus advertising? Controversial styling? Thoughts?
Old 04-10-14, 01:42 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess that is under 1,000 units in Canada. That definetely is not true for US.
My guess is most people, who just buy cars based on what they see on TV or what they think is the best, rather buy a German when they start spending close to 60k.

Ed
Old 04-10-14, 02:10 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I don't see that many 4GS on the road, which is nice. compared to C class, E class, 3 and 5 series BMWs, I see those cars all the time.
Old 04-10-14, 02:52 PM
LexFather

i believe in 2013 over 50,000 were sold worldwide, the most ever. The GS is not a volume car like a 5/E class so expectations and goals are lower.
Old 04-10-14, 03:05 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

There are 3 in my parking lot at work including mine. About 1500 per month in the US in sales.
Old 04-10-14, 03:09 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

If anything they sold a good amount it just wasn't what they wanted to sell I think. I blame that on the low HP and not enough power for a great car.
Old 04-10-14, 03:59 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I heard the 4th gen GS has been selling well when compared to the previous GS models. Nevertheless, the 4G's sales numbers still pale in comparison to the 5-series and E-Class and I think its on par with the A6. I feel like word just hasn't gotten out about how good the new GS is. It will take some time and a lot evangelism to shed its image as a boring car.

Personally, it took me a long time to decide on the GS, but I'm happy I took the plunge. I just wish I had another 30-50 HP.
Old 04-10-14, 04:13 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expense

The folks buying the German cars instead of the GS are stuck with the high maintenance costs down the road. Been there. Never doing it again.
Old 04-10-14, 04:20 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford1776
The folks buying the German cars instead of the GS are stuck with the high maintenance costs down the road. Been there. Never doing it again.
+1

Thank you.
Old 04-10-14, 04:35 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
I heard the 4th gen GS has been selling well when compared to the previous GS models. Nevertheless, the 4G's sales numbers still pale in comparison to the 5-series and E-Class and I think its on par with the A6. I feel like word just hasn't gotten out about how good the new GS is. It will take some time and a lot evangelism to shed its image as a boring car.

Personally, it took me a long time to decide on the GS, but I'm happy I took the plunge. I just wish I had another 30-50 HP.
50 more HP and I'm good.
Old 04-10-14, 04:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCT
A thread on the GS 350 vs. the CTS thread mentions an article comparing the CTS to the GS (see: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...350-awd/?all=1 ). The article states: "Inexplicably, the best of the Japanese offerings in this category – the Lexus GS – still averages well under 1,000 units moved each year, even after last year’s brilliant update. What gives?" So, obviously we love them, but what is missing? Lack of Lexus advertising? Controversial styling? Thoughts?
Blame the existence of the ES. The GS and ES fall within an inch of each other in length, and this extra offering being part of Lexus's core sedans ie IS, ES, GS, LS throws a monkey wrench in the convential light of model positions in an automakers stable ie A4, A6, A8, C, E, S, 3, 5, 7. The ES being slightly larger and priced significantly lower than the GS is the reason the ES is Lexus's best selling sedan. If it did not exist, people who out grew an IS would logically go the next step up which is the GS, alas for near the same price as an IS for increased space, utility and features the ES makes perfect sense to the overwhelming majority who are not enthusiasts unlike us on CL. Would I prefer the ES didn't exist so the GS was more popular and less the dark horse? Yes, but at the same time the fewer GS's on the road makes it that much more special. And this 4GS is truly a wonderful thing
Old 04-10-14, 05:11 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Blame the existence of the ES. The GS and ES fall within an inch of each other in length, and this extra offering being part of Lexus's core sedans ie IS, ES, GS, LS throws a monkey wrench in the convential light of model positions in an automakers stable ie A4, A6, A8, C, E, S, 3, 5, 7. The ES being slightly larger and priced significantly lower than the GS is the reason the ES is Lexus's best selling sedan. If it did not exist, people who out grew an IS would logically go the next step up which is the GS, alas for near the same price as an IS for increased space, utility and features the ES makes perfect sense to the overwhelming majority who are not enthusiasts unlike us on CL. Would I prefer the ES didn't exist so the GS was more popular and less the dark horse? Yes, but at the same time the fewer GS's on the road makes it that much more special. And this 4GS is truly a wonderful thing
This

Another problem is lack of engine choices. Lexus need to start offering GS250 and GS300h. If Lexus can manage to price the GS250 in low 40's, it will sell just as good as ES. GS300h will also sell well. I see many hybrid ES models on the road, that means there is market for such sedans. However, nobody is ready to pay $75K for a hybrid yet. Lexus needs to replace GS450h with GS300h and add GS250 to a lineup, then things will change.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 04-10-14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 05:16 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it weird that I like it low. it makes me feel different that it's a car you don't see often. I see maybe a few each day compared to the 5, 6 and ES....
Old 04-10-14, 05:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
This

Another problem is lack of engine choices. Lexus need to start offering GS250 and GS300h. If Lexus can manage to price the GS250 in low 40's, it will sell just as good as ES. GS300h will also sell well. I see many hybrid ES models on the road, that means there is market for such sedans. However, nobody is ready to pay $75K for a hybrid yet. Lexus needs to replace GS450h with GS300h and add GS250 to a lineup, then things will change.
I like where you're coming from but I may tweak it a bit. Give me (and granted I'm stretching into the future a little farther):

GS200t (base turbo 4)
GS300h (base hybrid)
GS350/300t (if FI V6 rumor is true)
GS450h (new V6 hybrid powertrain 400+hp)
GS400t (if FI V8 rumor is true)
GS F

oh Lexus Gods hear my prayers
Old 04-10-14, 05:39 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I have owned a number of Japanese cars, and my BMW 550 is my first German. First a disclaimer, the main reason I got a BMW is because they offer a 400 hp engine and Lexus did not (I had a 2010 GS before the BMW). So here my opinion on the reasons why…

>BMW (and other Germans) have a "snob" appeal that many folks are looking for.

>The Germans cover a lot more ground with the same car. A 5 series starts with a 240 hp 4 cylinder (that feels as fast as a GS btw), 300 hp 6, 445 hp V8, Diesel, and 560 hp M. They also offer a very wide range of options and features that are not available on a GS AND you can actually order one the way you want it.

>The biggest reason IMHO is that Lexus and Acura both came out of the gate with a bang 25 years ago and were very well received. I know some wealthy folks who traded S Class M-Bs and 7 series BMW's for Lexus LS400s. But sadly, the Japanese became very conservative and complacent - like a basketball team with a 10 point lead comes out after half time and forgets that the opponent regrouped. The LS460 has been sitting on 380 hp for years, the GS on 303/306 hp for years, and they have been very conservative in styling and coming out with variations as pointed out above.

Lexus and Acura build fine cars, but not terribly interesting cars and they are now having to go through the process of reversing a perception - which takes time.

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?