GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
I think there is another reason, it may sounds hurtful to some Lexus fans.

Mercedes and BMW has better and more pretige brand name than Lexus in some people's eyes.

My wife and I had owned five Lexus in past 15 years, we both like Lexus, but my wife NEVER stop dreaming owning a mercedes. Believe me, this has nothing to do with technic or features, it's just brand image.

The only thing held her back is MB and BMW's poor quality and bad resale value after warranty expire.

I finally pulled the trigger to buy a E350 last month, and my wife was very happy on this car.

Don't be angry about me, I just told my story.
No anger here. I think we Lexus owners all acknowledge that MB and BMW have been around as luxury brands much longer than Lexus, and there is a cache to owning a German car. Brand awareness and cache are big factors in the buying decision.
Old 05-02-14, 08:10 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
I think there is another reason, it may sounds hurtful to some Lexus fans.

Mercedes and BMW has better and more pretige brand name than Lexus in some people's eyes.

My wife and I had owned five Lexus in past 15 years, we both like Lexus, but my wife NEVER stop dreaming owning a mercedes. Believe me, this has nothing to do with technic or features, it's just brand image.

The only thing held her back is MB and BMW's poor quality and bad resale value after warranty expire.

I finally pulled the trigger to buy a E350 last month, and my wife was very happy on this car.

Don't be angry about me, I just told my story.
Spell check and grammar checkers are free on the net, you seriously may want to consider using them before posting again...
Old 05-03-14, 04:44 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
No anger here. I think we Lexus owners all acknowledge that MB and BMW have been around as luxury brands much longer than Lexus, and there is a cache to owning a German car. Brand awareness and cache are big factors in the buying decision.
I would argue that Lexus had that same cache for a while, then let it slip away by being too conservative while BMW & M-B regrouped and upped their game.
Old 05-03-14, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't think GS sales have anything to do with Lexus' brand cache. There certainly is a difference between Lexus and MB or BMW, but if that were the single overriding factor then Lexus would not outsell them in certain models...such as the RX...ES...
Old 05-03-14, 10:33 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best performing and handling car in the segment, today, is the Cadillac CTS V-Sport (I'm not referring to the CTS-V here) and I REALLY wish Lexus had either a twin turbo or V8 option. I had the same exact complaint about Cadillac until the V-Sport was released. I really wonder what the GS-F will be like - but like with Cadillac, it would be nice to have something slot in between the V6 GS and V8 GS-F. Cadillac enthusiasts complained about this for YEARS. It'll probably happen in this community as well.

All in all, the interior and exterior of the GS has me leaning away from Cadillac. That along with service and reliability... The GS is almost perfect for me - probably "good enough".
Old 05-03-14, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you gotten to drive the GS yet Sal?
Old 05-03-14, 12:40 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think GS sales have anything to do with Lexus' brand cache. There certainly is a difference between Lexus and MB or BMW, but if that were the single overriding factor then Lexus would not outsell them in certain models...such as the RX...ES...
Perception is a individual thing. If you have owned and researched these 3 brands then you know that you never own Mercedes or BMW if it is not under warranty. Also BMW and Mercedes sell a ton of the 3 series and C class vehicles no cache in these vehicles. I see Lexus as luxury and reliability. Mercedes has AMG, BMW has M class, Lexus F. Lexus is not really competing at this level. I owned a new CLS63 AMG with the performance package MSRP was high $120k's, Lexus does not make vehicles to compete with this vehicle. They are trying to compete with the M3.
Old 05-03-14, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A C Class or 3 Series is all about cache. People are buying those vehicles because they can buy into the brand for a certain cost.
Old 05-03-14, 02:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The Benz CLS63 AMG is a hotted up version of the base E Class sedan.

The CLS is actually a four door coupe version of the E Class sedan platform.
The four door coupe features a rounded shape, a low roof line and waist line, and therefore less vertical space for the mudguards, hence less wheel travel for less body roll.

Lexus used to have the 2005-12 3GS which was a four door coupe version of the Toyota Crown sedan platform which was not available for export.
Nowadays, the 4GS is a tall boxy sedan with plenty of suspension travel.

Lexus also does not have an equivalent for the 6.3 engine and AMG suspension; not at the moment anyway.

Presently, the Lexus IS-F is the competitor to the BMW M3, and the Benz C63 AMG.

The CLS63 AMG, and Lexus' lack of a four door coupe body style with a V8, is more an issue of lack of body styles, lack of engine choices, and lack of hard edged suspension tunes, rather than a lack of cache.

The mass public don't know much about cars, so they are guided by the name, the badge, and the historical reputation of the name/badge/marque.
Benz and Beamer have the two biggest names/badges.
Lexus has a badge too, although maybe third or fourth place, arguably ahead of, or behind Audi.

Jaguar had a great name in the 1970's and 80's, however their reputation has fallen behind over the decades, as the overall quality of their products fell, especially under Ford ownership from 1989 to 2007....

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-03-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't consider the 3GS a 4 door coupe. If you look at a 3GS and then a CLS or a VW CC the difference in the interior layout and roofline are very apparent. The 4GS is also basically the same height as the 3GS, being in fact .8" taller.
Old 05-03-14, 05:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

A 4 door coupe "tends" to have the following features:
1) Rounded/swoopier roof line for less wind resistance, at the expense of interior space.
2) Lower roof line for lower CdA to lower the wind resistance, also at the expense of interior space.
3) Lower waist line, at the expense of less boot volume, and shorter space for wheel travel, hence ride quality.
4) Lower ground clearance for a lower center of gravity for less roll, but at the expense of wheel travel for ride quality.
5) Therefore concomitantly shorter suspension travel for less roll, but also at the expense of ride quality.
However there is absolutely no exact hard and fast rules for classification at all. It's just an arbitrary thing.

Thus, the 3GS is only 1.8" lower than the 2008-12 Toyota Crown counterpart running off the same platform and engines.
It's not so much that the 3GS is only 0.8" lower than the 4GS, but the 2005-12 3GS at 56.1" versus the 2008-12 Crown's 57.9".

I wouldn't call the new 4GS a four door coupe version of the new 2012-onwards Crown at all, but the 4GS is 57.3" versus the new Crown's 58.9", so they are always making the GS a little sportier, while the Crown more luxurious.

Interestingly, the 2012 4GS is only available in 2.5 and 3.5 etc in the USA, but the equivalent new 2012 Crown is available in 2.5, 3.5, and 4.6 V8 in Japan.

You will find that the 3GS has much less vertical cabin height than the 4GS; the 3GS interior feels low.
The 3GS canopy is much swoopier than the 4GS leading to less volume inside.
The 3GS waist line is also much lower.
The 3GS boot deck is lower, and there is much less vertical space inside the boot.
The 3GS boot volume is only 400 something liters, while the 4GS boot volume is 500+ liters.
Perhaps importantly, the 3GS has shorter suspension travel than the 4GS, such that the 3GS is more prone to bottoming out.

Because there are no hard and fast rules as to what defines a four door coupe, you could call the 3GS either way.
However, I tend to call it a four door coupe because it is so low, rounded, and has short suspension travel, especially compared to the new 4GS.

Certainly, the Benz CLS and VW CC have both lowered their roof line much more than the 3GS, and the CLS only has 4 seats too!
Benz, VW, BMW 5 vs 6 Series, and Audi A6 vs A7, can all afford to lower their 4 door coupes much more because they have two separate body styles.
Toyota Motor Corp has two separate bodies styles too, but they choose to only export one type of body style in the GS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-03-14 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lets just put it this way...the one and only time I've ever heard anybody refer to the 3GS as a "4 door coupe" is you here right now.

Do you have some sort of source on this "shorter suspension travel" thing? Also...first time I've ever heard anything to that point. I've never heard of someone classifying the body style of a vehicle by the amount of suspension travel. FYI, the fact that something bottoms out doesn't mean necessarily that it has less suspension travel. The 4GS is stiffer as a structure and has stiffer springs.
Old 05-03-14, 06:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Lets just put it this way...the one and only time I've ever heard anybody refer to the 3GS as a "4 door coupe" is you here right now.
Yes, but that doesn't stop me from giving my opinion, just as you give your opinion.
If you know more about Toyota's domestic range of Crowns, you will understand how the GS design fits in.
Many years ago, the GS was sold as a Toyota "Aristo", alongside the Toyota Crown.
The Aristo was sports-luxury, while the Crown is outright luxury.

Do you have some sort of source on this "shorter suspension travel" thing? Also...first time I've ever heard anything to that point. I've never heard of someone classifying the body style of a vehicle by the amount of suspension travel.
If you test drive the 3GS back to back against the 4GS, and you're good with motor cars, you will notice that the 3GS has shorter suspension travel than the 4GS.

When the waist line drops, the space available for wheel travel on compression also diminishes.
Because 4 dr coupes are low on the roof, and low on the waist line, and maybe even lower on the ground clearance, they will tend to have less wheel travel.
It all fits together as a package.

BTW, is this also the first time you've seen a 2012-onwards Toyota Crown, based on the same platform and engine as the 4GS?

FYI, the fact that something bottoms out doesn't mean necessarily that it has less suspension travel. The 4GS is stiffer as a structure and has stiffer springs.
I never said that if something bottoms out, then that means that it automatically has less suspension travel.
If you read the sentence carefully, the sentence says that it is "more prone" to bottoming out.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-03-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
If you test drive the 3GS back to back against the 4GS, and you're good with motor cars, you will notice that the 3GS has shorter suspension travel than the 4GS.
Okay.

BTW, is this also the first time you've seen a 2012-onwards Toyota Crown, based on the same platform and engine as the 4GS?
Of course not, I'm well aware of the existence of the Toyota Crown, and that both it and the GS share Toyota's S platform. To be clear though, the GS is not a "version of the Toyota Crown". They are simply based off the same platform...note before Lexus was sold in Japan the GS was sold there as the Toyota Aristo...not the "Crown Aristo". Toyota had the Crown, Crown Royal, Crown Athlete...they never intended the Aristo/GS to be considered part of the Crown family.

I never said that if something bottoms out, then that means that it automatically has less suspension travel.
If you read the sentence carefully, the sentence says that it is "more prone" to bottoming out.
My point was that just because something is more prone to bottoming out doesn't mean that it has less suspension travel.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-03-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 08:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
The best performing and handling car in the segment, today, is the Cadillac CTS V-Sport (I'm not referring to the CTS-V here) and I REALLY wish Lexus had either a twin turbo or V8 option. I had the same exact complaint about Cadillac until the V-Sport was released. I really wonder what the GS-F will be like - but like with Cadillac, it would be nice to have something slot in between the V6 GS and V8 GS-F. Cadillac enthusiasts complained about this for YEARS. It'll probably happen in this community as well.

All in all, the interior and exterior of the GS has me leaning away from Cadillac. That along with service and reliability... The GS is almost perfect for me - probably "good enough".
And that once again speaks to brand cache. The new CTS V-Sport is arguably the best luxury/sports sedan on the market today, yet they don't seem to be selling. I have yet to see a new CTS on the road, much less a CTS V-Sport, and the local dealership has tons of both in inventory. I know the CUE system has been panned, and some of the interior materials have been reviewed as not befitting of a luxury car, but the CTS is a competitive car, yet very few people seem to be buying it.

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?