GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 04:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by peteharvey
1990 1LS good looking and top seller @ 42K+ units, then gradually down hill.

Current generation 2007 4LS also a great looking car, so sales recovered to 35K+ units.

Thus, 1LS & 4LS are the two best looking, and the top two sellers...
I want to say thank you for the data first off.

While there is clearly a correlation between good looks and sales we have two oddities here.

1. First year LS sales. No other flagship in America has ever sold like that. That was simply something unheard of and we likely will never see it happen again. The price also was substantially lower than the equivalent German car.

2. 2006 4LS sales. Lexus clearly had a huge hit with the car but 2006/2007 were also the years right before the bubble burst. I was here, EVERYONE was getting new cars, it was a crazy time. The LS was literally selling like an IS. This may never happen again here or it may take a few years, even the Germans didn't sell like that.

FYI Lexus has revised the LS goal, I believe its either 10k or 12k a year now.
Old 04-24-14, 04:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'll say it again, we sell every one of them we get.
None sit around for more than a week.

It's definitely not perfect. Not even close. But obviously people out there recognize its attributes. If we got more from Lexus I'd sell a lot more. I am good at pointing out its strengths.

The lease special of $399 per month helps the sales as well.
I still don't know how we came up with that payment.

But don't get it twisted, the F-Sport sells just as well as the base car for the lease special.

Maybe it's regional. The 4GS sells great here in south Florida.
Certainly not at IS/ES/RX levels but the GS does sell decently at our store, and we can't keep GX/LX in stock. CT isn't selling on the level I thought it would, but it's the LS that sells the least here, which is and isn't surprising given the area we are located is very affluent but most of the flagship sedans I see on the road are newer S-Class and XJ so the LS's age despite refresh is showing here.
Old 04-24-14, 09:18 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
How'd it go Sal?
My wife couldn't make her service appointment so we postponed the test drive until May 5th. I did go take a look and the non semi-aniline leather isn't a deal breaker for me. I also learned that I'll be needing an F-Sport PLUS package. They're going to need to find one for me or order it from the factory.

When will the 2015s be in showrooms?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
it's the LS that sells the least here, which is and isn't surprising given the area we are located is very affluent but most of the flagship sedans I see on the road are newer S-Class and XJ so the LS's age despite refresh is showing here.
If you're affluent and want to buy the best that money can buy, the LS's weak drivetrain stands out.
Old 04-25-14, 12:38 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
If you're affluent and want to buy the best that money can buy, the LS's weak drivetrain stands out.
which is what I just said

NX and RC rule this years spotlight. RX and GS next year. Hope 5LS isn't far behind
Old 04-25-14, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

When will the 2015s be in showrooms?
October most likely...
Old 04-25-14, 07:09 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Errrr, just agreein' with ya there buttercup.

October most likely...
Maybe I should just wait until my lease is up on July 28th. That's basically August - only a couple of months away from October. If I'm going to lease a brand new car, it might as well be a 2015 and not a year old as soon as I drive it off the lot. Right?

Also... Strange... But I could have sworn I heard my saleswoman mention something about negative equity in my one pay leased LS... How is that possible?
Old 04-25-14, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I should just wait until my lease is up on July 28th. That's basically August - only a couple of months away from October. If I'm going to lease a brand new car, it might as well be a 2015 and not a year old as soon as I drive it off the lot. Right?

Also... Strange... But I could have sworn I heard my saleswoman mention something about negative equity in my one pay leased LS... How is that possible?
The issue would be whether or not the same deals would be available on the 2015s as would be on the 2014s, its also not impossible that the 2015 GS would be a refresh...a lot of new competition has come out in this segment since 2012 when the 4GS came out. If you're ordering anyways it may be a non-issue as there won't be a "great deal" to be had anyways.

LFS should be willing to extend the lease on your LS to cover the period between the end of July and when a 2015 would come in.

As for negative equity in your lease...a one pay lease is simply a lease with all the payments made at once. In order to do it early, the dealer has to take your LS in on trade, so they have to give you enough money to pay off the residual and all the remaining payments, then they essentially buy it from LFS and sell it CPO on their lot.

What she may have been referring to was if they were to pro-rata apply some of what you've pre-paid to the new lease they might not be able to offer you on trade enough to make it work without negative equity. Essentially what they would be doing is just paying you the remaining lease payments instead of LFS.

If thats the case every month you wait will help because thats one month less they have to prorate.
Old 04-25-14, 08:06 AM
LexFather

NX and RC rule this years spotlight. RX and GS next year. Hope 5LS isn't far behind
5LS comes in 2016 as a 2017 model. It is going to be utterly mind-blowing, every effort is being made to make this car legendary. Which is a reason I didn't mind picking up a 2014 LS F-sport..we got time

I agree compared to the boosted V-8 Germans, the LS V-8 clearly lacks the same urgency. Its as smooth and reliable as a car can get but there is no push in the back of the seat like a 450hp equivalent German.

Not to mention we took my bosses 2014 S-550 to RennTech and now it makes over 550hp and whereas before it could not break the tires lose, now its a monster.

But hey, we gained 6hp!!!
Old 04-25-14, 08:08 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just going by the "build" on Lexus.com so I'm assuming the price I come up with there is "full price" with no "deal". I'm assuming the 2015 will be at least somewhat close in price - even if there's a refresh. I feel a little weird about leasing a brand new car that's a year old. Ya know? I do wonder if there will be some type of refresh. I just can't imagine it happening after only two model years, though. But that's another good reason to just wait a little longer...

I didn't know I could have my lease extended a few months. That's cool.

And, yeah - I think you're spot on about that negative equity she mentioned... I'm very anxious to get out of my boat (I don't even drive it anymore) but I can 'probably' wait a little longer...
Old 04-25-14, 08:10 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I'm VERY anxious to see what the new LS is going to be like. I'm sure it's going to be extremely impressive. Keep in mind Cadillac will be in this game next year as well - and I'm pretty confident (I bet Lexus is too) their new flagship is going to be scary...

Originally Posted by LexFather
5LS comes in 2016 as a 2017 model. It is going to be utterly mind-blowing, every effort is being made to make this car legendary. Which is a reason I didn't mind picking up a 2014 LS F-sport..we got time

I agree compared to the boosted V-8 Germans, the LS V-8 clearly lacks the same urgency. Its as smooth and reliable as a car can get but there is no push in the back of the seat like a 450hp equivalent German.

Not to mention we took my bosses 2014 S-550 to RennTech and now it makes over 550hp and whereas before it could not break the tires lose, now its a monster.

Old 04-25-14, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The prices on Lexus.com are MSRP. On a car on the lot you can do 10% off without too much effort. No idea about one thats an order.

The 2015 will either be identical to the 2014, or a refresh. Two years, but remember the 2013 was a 1.5 year model.
Old 04-25-14, 12:06 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Lexus "refresh's" in the past have been so minor you basically can't even tell. They did up the horsepower count in the last generation GS part way through the run, but the appearance inside and out was as close to identical as you can get. And that car ran for quite a few years. The "new" LS looks like a minor refresh yet it's supposed to be an all new generation. I guess they thought it was doing so well they didn't want to offend anyone.
Old 04-25-14, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Errrr, just agreein' with ya there buttercup.
I figured, but I still read the text connotation wrong. mahhh bad

Originally Posted by LexFather

Yes it should be outstanding to say the least. Recent Lexus's are indicative of this

Don't get me wrong the 4.6L V8 and 8AT combo is extremely smooth and reliable, but yeah it's time to upgrade the powertrains and not just the chassis, interior and exterior

I remember that CLS 63 AMG you guys did with RennTech. This S550 sounds wonderful.

380 to 386 baby
Old 04-25-14, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Lexus "refresh's" in the past have been so minor you basically can't even tell...The "new" LS looks like a minor refresh yet it's supposed to be an all new generation. I guess they thought it was doing so well they didn't want to offend anyone.
I totally disagree, If anything, the latest refreshes has been pretty significant. If you look at the GX, LS, CT...all of them are significant.

The LS has a whole new interior, entirely new front and rear clips, new body cladding...the GS won't be that significant, but it will be a new bumper/grille/lights, rear lights...never meant to be an all new generation.

Pretty different:

2012 LS:

2013 LS:

2013 GX:

2014 GX:

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-25-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 01:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I totally disagree, If anything, the latest refreshes has been pretty significant. If you look at the GX, LS, CT...all of them are significant.

The LS has a whole new interior, entirely new front and rear clips, new body cladding...the GS won't be that significant, but it will be a new bumper/grille/lights, rear lights...never meant to be an all new generation.
YES, I get that they changed everything. That's what I said the problem was. They changed everything but they changed nothing. I'd bet lots of money that most people could see the old ones and new ones two minutes apart and not know they one was an all new generation.

I used to love the LS and it was my dream car. Now it does not even make the list. And I own a $76,000 sedan.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm still a Lexus fan - that's why I just spend my own hard money for one. I'm just disappointed in many of the things they are…or are not doing.

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?