GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not given a Lexus loaner when taking my GS for service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
But one of the selling points of these luxury brands is the promise of a loaner vehicle.
This is just the thing...there is no such promise. Its commonly held conception that you always get a loaner for service, but you have to read what the manufacturer ACTUALLY says you will get. For Lexus they promise a loaner (not a Lexus loaner), for warranty work lasting overnight or longer than 8 hours.. Not for service, not for oil changes, not for work you are paying for....for warranty work that lasts overnight or longer than 8 hours.

http://www.lexus.com/service

Service Loaner Vehicles: If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty-covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle.
Now, many dealerships have more comprehensive loaner programs than what Lexus promises above, but these are dealer specific amenities, and you aren't "owed" them when you purchase a Lexus. Lexus also specifies this on that webpage:

As you might assume, Lexus dealerships provide much more than great technical service. Many dealerships offer a wide range of luxuries, such as custom waiting lounges, Lexus loaner vehicles, complimentary car washes and free pickup and delivery. Some dealerships even provide concierge services and office areas for customers to conduct business in. It's this kind of exceptional treatment that keeps our clientele returning again and again.
Lexus dealerships do not all offer these services, but many do. Thats an accurate statement.

Having realistic and reasonable expectations as to what one is owed when they purchase something is important.
Old 10-15-14, 09:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is just the thing...there is no such promise. Its commonly held conception that you always get a loaner for service, but you have to read what the manufacturer ACTUALLY says you will get. For Lexus they promise a loaner (not a Lexus loaner), for warranty work lasting overnight or longer than 8 hours.. Not for service, not for oil changes, not for work you are paying for....for warranty work that lasts overnight or longer than 8 hours.

http://www.lexus.com/service

Now, many dealerships have more comprehensive loaner programs than what Lexus promises above, but these are dealer specific amenities, and you aren't "owed" them when you purchase a Lexus. Lexus also specifies this on that webpage:

Lexus dealerships do not all offer these services, but many do. Thats an accurate statement.

Having realistic and reasonable expectations as to what one is owed when they purchase something is important.
Your right. I've been lucky. But I think owners can make their own luck.
Old 10-15-14, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It depends on the individual dealer. I've ALWAYS been given a loaner for everything, oil change, whatever...but my point is thats above and beyond service...not what they're required to do.
Old 10-15-14, 11:50 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It depends on the individual dealer. I've ALWAYS been given a loaner for everything, oil change, whatever...but my point is thats above and beyond service...not what they're required to do.
I'm with you, I have also been fortunate because I had always rec'd a dealer loaner and not a rental (except as I mentioned from Caddy) for all services..

Problem is a lot of the sales people play up the loaner vehicle card when they're trying to close the deal. And then the customers who are unaware are unhappy when it's time for service and are told something totally different from what the sales person told them.

However, with regular maintenance I usually wait the 45 mins to 60 mins anyway unless I am pressed for time that day.. I would rather wait the hour than have to fight traffic getting to and from the dealer.
Old 10-15-14, 12:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When I purchased both of my cars, the dealer included a copy of their loaner car policy in my paperwork, and included it in their delivery checklist.

My dealer provides a loaner for any service that is scheduled to last longer than 2 hours. For services of less than two hours, they run a shuttle service.
Old 10-15-14, 07:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe this thread is still going, but since it is I'll add to it.

I was just laughing because I owned an '02 Audi A6 4.2. It was a $53k car 12 years ago, so it would probably be a $70k car today. It was the second most expensive Audi you could buy after the A8. I brought it in to have detailing done (which I paid for) because when the dealer changed a tire they left the wheels and the whole car filthy. It was an all-day job.

When I asked for a loaner (which they had confirmed with me) no one new about it. Finally, the service guy threw his keys across the desk and said "this is the car I drive to work every day. Please take care of it and bring it back with a full tank of gas." It was a stripped-down A4. They were the largest Porsche/Audi dealer in South Florida and I was just imagining what someone who owned a Porsche would think of that.

Audi has improved tremendously since then, but I'll never forget that story. And BTW, I traded that car on a Lexus after 8 months due to the abominable service. In South Florida I always had Lexus loaners and I still do in Dallas.

Last edited by dseag2; 10-15-14 at 07:30 PM.