GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My Brakes Are Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 12:02 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree brake dust is bad! I am going to swap them out with Akebono Ceramic pads when they get a low. I just got new pads and rotors so its pointless for me to spend money on new pads now.
Old 04-04-14, 09:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok update, the noise is getting louder and obnoxious. I have put it through to Lexus Corp in the hopes it will be resolved as this is terrible, this would be the first Lexus that I had with the brakes sounding this bad. I backed up yesterday and it was so loud this lady turned back quick to see what it was, felt so embarrassed. Will keep you all posted on what the fix is.
Old 04-04-14, 11:04 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds exactly like the problem in the 3rd Gen GS. Thankfully, I never experienced it with ours, but I have a neighbor whose GS was obnoxiously loud. Just a couple of weeks ago, there was a GS at the dealership making the same noise; I had never heard as closely. Oh my.

I don't know if the issue was ever resolved on the 3rd Gen. I hope you get satisfactory resolution; that noise is unbearable.
Old 04-04-14, 01:02 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how my stock brakes sound all day. I just upgrade and forget about it
Old 04-04-14, 01:47 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can't hurt to try bedding in the brakes again yourself in case it wan't done correctly when they test drive the car off the production line:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in
Old 04-04-14, 02:09 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even know there was a tsb for this. My brakes sound horrible too but never did anything about it.
Old 04-11-14, 12:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm starting to hear some brake squeal on mine when driving slow, like in a parking lot or when parking the car. Mine is a regular '14 GS 350 non F Sport with only 1k miles. Are they still breaking in or do I have bad brakes?

My front wheels are so dirty, I think they're mostly covered in brake dust. I thought only the F Sport models have this problem?
Old 04-11-14, 04:47 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My brakes squeak just as bad as yours. Lexus replaced both front rotors and pads at 13k miles. It was quiet for about 5k. And then it started squealing again. I'm at 27k now and I'm actually thinking of not keeping this car because of this squealing. I'm going to bring it back to Lexus one more time to see. Hopefully after that they make some ceramic pads that I can switch over.
Old 04-11-14, 08:33 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mso4
My brakes squeak just as bad as yours. Lexus replaced both front rotors and pads at 13k miles. It was quiet for about 5k. And then it started squealing again. I'm at 27k now and I'm actually thinking of not keeping this car because of this squealing. I'm going to bring it back to Lexus one more time to see. Hopefully after that they make some ceramic pads that I can switch over.
Man at least you got them replaced, I'm still trying to get something to happen and still waiting on this rep to help resolve this issue.
Old 04-12-14, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Mine have started to make a little noise when coming to a stop at low speeds I've noticed...
Old 04-12-14, 08:58 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I have put it through to Lexus Corp in the hopes it will be resolved as this is terrible, this would be the first Lexus that I had with the brakes sounding this bad.
Ok, so I'm going to buck the trend of posts here and argue for the squealing brakes.

No brake pad manufacturer that I'm aware of makes pads that can handle track duty and don't squeal at least occasionally.

I've used many pads over the years for my combined duty street/track cars, and finally settled on Hawk HP Plus. They are one of the few pads out there with a decent cold temperature range for normal street driving and a decent high temperature range for track driving. Their official temperature range is 100-800 F, with an optimal range of 300-600 F. They aren't perfect--even on street tires they can still lose some braking torque when driving hard enough, and with R Compounds the pads are in over their head (in that case you'll need a 1000-1200+ F upper end)--but they're still pretty darn competent at stopping the car across a fairly wide temperature range.

The Lexus pads on my F Sport seem about comparable to the HP Plus pads. Sure, Lexus could go with a quieter street-only pad, but then I'd have to swap pads & rotors for track days, which I'd rather not do.

I applaud Lexus for changing their old gentrified approach to cars and trying to make cars (their F and F Sport models) that can be driven hard at the race track in stock trim. Yes, that means a few sacrifices when driving on the street, but then someone picking an F or F Sport model should be prepared for that.

Maybe similar to the way they let new buyers know that the grippy summer tires may wear out sooner than those All Seasons they were used to, Lexus might also warn new F and F Sport buyers that their brakes won't be as quiet or last as long either.

And Lexus does offer plenty of non-F models for buyers who don't plan on tracking their car.

Last edited by Nismo; 04-12-14 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 01:24 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Nismo
Ok, so I'm going to buck the trend of posts here and argue for the squealing brakes.

No brake pad manufacturer that I'm aware of makes pads that can handle track duty and don't squeal at least occasionally.

I've used many pads over the years for my combined duty street/track cars, and finally settled on Hawk HP Plus. They are one of the few pads out there with a decent cold temperature range for normal street driving and a decent high temperature range for track driving. Their official temperature range is 100-800 F, with an optimal range of 300-600 F. They aren't perfect--even on street tires they can still lose some braking torque when driving hard enough, and with R Compounds the pads are in over their head (in that case you'll need a 1000-1200+ F upper end)--but they're still pretty darn competent at stopping the car across a fairly wide temperature range.

The Lexus pads on my F Sport seem about comparable to the HP Plus pads. Sure, Lexus could go with a quieter street-only pad, but then I'd have to swap pads & rotors for track days, which I'd rather not do.

I applaud Lexus for changing their old gentrified approach to cars and trying to make cars (their F and F Sport models) that can be driven hard at the race track in stock trim. Yes, that means a few sacrifices when driving on the street, but then someone picking an F or F Sport model should be prepared for that.

Maybe similar to the way they let new buyers know that the grippy summer tires may wear out sooner than those All Seasons they were used to, Lexus might also warn new F and F Sport buyers that their brakes won't be as quiet or last as long either.

And Lexus does offer plenty of non-F models for buyers who don't plan on tracking their car.
Although I understand your post the problem with that is these brakes are way to loud. I have been in some BMW's and also a couple of friends track cars, there brakes have a slight squeal but not as loud as these have been. There is no way this is normal, there is a limit and these brakes sound as if the brake pad has no more meat left, did you listen to the video
Old 04-13-14, 05:11 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

May not have bedded correctly when new. If not, the noise never seems to go away.

If there is a TSB on them get them replaced and ask the tech to make sure they are bedded correctly
Old 04-13-14, 08:42 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

I get that sound in the morning, backing out of my driveway, but I don't believe I have that noise at any other time. Even once a day is pretty annoying, though, for this car. I'm going to replace the pads myself when they wear out, but they're lasting a long time. I just checked today and even after 20,000 miles, there's a lot of wear to go. Looks like these pads might last another 20,000. I remember on the Honda, there was some king of grease that you'd put on the back of the pads that was supposed to help keep it from squealing. I forget the name, but I think it's pretty standard stuff for all car break pads.
Old 04-13-14, 08:58 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for those that are having issues how many miles do you have on your car?

Quick Reply: My Brakes Are Bad!