Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ticketed for no front license plate!

Old 03-05-14, 10:00 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Just to clarify, in Dallas county, due to the ambiguity of the front plate law and all the stuff that happened surrounding that last year, the Dallas DA said he would not prosecute anyone for a missing front plate, therefore DPD was instructed to issue warning tickets if even that. Carrolton is clearly in a different county and their cops probably have less to worry about so them ticketing for this doesn't surprise me.

I am in Dallas, and Dallas county, and don't have a front plate. The guy at the dealership that was installing the plates said "says here you don't want the front installed?". I said, nope. "Yeah...this car shouldn't have a front plate. Looks better". I agreed with him, thumbs up.

If you're in Dallas, front plates are optional. Other places, roll the dice.
How is this law variable by county when it's a statewide law?
Old 03-05-14, 12:57 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's variably applied is the point I was getting at.

Last year during the controversy, HB6xx forgot to include a penalty. It was later revised. I think there was also some cost savings proposition that the state would only issue a single plate instead of two. Could be wrong on that point. At any rate. the Dallas DA said he wouldn't prosecute missing front plates due to all the confusion. I've put 6500 miles on my car in the metroplex and a few runs up north without a problem (knock on wood) so far.

I'm not advising anyone, of course follow state law, but if you're in Dallas, you'll only get a warning, if that. The DPD knows the score on this.
Old 03-06-14, 07:05 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update - Went to court and provided a photo of my car with front plate on. They dismissed the ticket with a 10.00 compliance fee. It's all about revenue. They could have given me a warning but instead ticket me to see if I was going to pay it or fight it. After the fight, still had to pay 10.00
Old 03-06-14, 11:15 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by nealb
I contacted this outfit and they said they will have one for 2013+ GS this spring http://www.rhoplate.com/ Just spotted this company that offers one for $79
It's showing in stock now FYI for 4GS
Old 03-06-14, 01:09 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of you guys give up too quickly. I have been driving in the Dallas area (live in Frisco) for years and will never put a front license plate on. I pass cops all the time and don't even worry about it. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets and the cops still didn't even notice that I didn't have a front plate.

If I ever run up on some ******** cop that gives me a ticket, i'll pay the fine and move along but I'm not drilling a hole in my bumper or putting a front plate on ever.
Old 03-06-14, 05:00 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Some of you guys give up too quickly. I have been driving in the Dallas area (live in Frisco) for years and will never put a front license plate on. I pass cops all the time and don't even worry about it. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets and the cops still didn't even notice that I didn't have a front plate.

If I ever run up on some ******** cop that gives me a ticket, i'll pay the fine and move along but I'm not drilling a hole in my bumper or putting a front plate on ever.
Where are you getting speeding tickets? I've run 90+ for brief stretches on 75 and have never gotten one. I'm not some kinda maniac that is honking and flashing, I do this when there are giant holes and no traffic, but still, I'd like to know where the hot spots are.
Old 03-07-14, 08:32 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't drive through Carrollton, they will definitely give you a ticket for no front plate. Again main reason why I considered drilling the plate to my front bumper is bc I drink and don't ever want to get pulled over for that dumb reason. Even though I can drive home safely, if you are over the limit, no if but or and... You are taking a risk for every time you drive without a front plate.
Old 03-07-14, 09:43 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Good to know, I never visit Carrolton for anything anyway.
Old 03-16-14, 07:46 PM
punkguins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2014 F-Sport GS 350 and want to use a front license plate holder so I don't have to drill into the bumper. Has anyone used this product (or can suggest one that works for my make and model)?
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN1046/GNEXT/....html#moreinfo

One thing I read in the install is that the front bracket screws could go into the underside of the bumper (no problem). But, the back screws are back about 5" and for our car, that's the debris shield. Would it still work drilling screw holes in a debris shield? The other thing the manufacturer recommends using a cable strap to car structure to hold back of mount but this might require a lift for me to install it under the car. That's why I'm curious what others have done for a clean install of a front license plate holder.
Old 03-16-14, 09:31 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

http://www.rhoplate.com

http://www.cravenspeed.com

http://www.grimmspeed.com (IS F version will fit because I already asked)

https://www.godspeedproject.com
Old 03-16-14, 09:33 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont get it, if your going to get front plates why are you hesitant to drill holes? Your going to have plates in anyway. Only reason one wouldn't get their bumper drilled if they plan on having no front plates
Old 03-17-14, 05:22 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
I dont get it, if your going to get front plates why are you hesitant to drill holes? Your going to have plates in anyway. Only reason one wouldn't get their bumper drilled if they plan on having no front plates
Most folks don't want their car's front appearance to be spoiled by the license plate
Old 03-24-14, 07:34 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Only reason one wouldn't get their bumper drilled if they plan on having no front plates
That's my plan. Living on the edge!
Old 07-29-14, 08:13 PM
pistolpv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
check this out, there is also an install video

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...S350-SNS37.htm
Has anyone used this gadget on their GS350? Please post your review. Thanks.
Old 07-30-14, 04:06 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-SharK
. . . . . .main reason why I considered drilling the plate to my front bumper is bc I drink and don't ever want to get pulled over for that dumb reason.
Interesting way of looking at things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticketed for no front license plate!