Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ticketed for no front license plate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 11:56 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abermac
You can also get a mount that screws into the towing access...whatever you call it. Anyway, remove the towing access cover on the front bumper. It would keep you from drilling! I've seen this done on many different types of models.
for our cars, nothing is yet available according to three companies I contacted

soon but not yet
Old 03-03-14, 11:58 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
check this out, there is also an install video

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...S350-SNS37.htm
Those movable plate holders are now illegal in Texas. Law got passed because people with them were evading tolls by hiding the tag for a few minutes.
Old 03-03-14, 12:15 PM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

I used the Lexus plate holder and a WeatherTech plate holder together. Attached the Lexus holder to the bottom part of the grille using long butterfly bolts, then attached the WeatherTech holder to it using screws.

No holes in the bumper but it does cover up more of the air intake area.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/nea...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 03-03-14, 06:06 PM
Abermac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good solution to a big problem! Thankfully I don't need a front plate. I was thinking, wouldn't it be easy to fabricate something to fit the towing access area? Really all you would need is a modified tow hook welded to a plate frame. Surly this wouldn't be illegal??
Old 03-03-14, 06:39 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by New to IS3
Update - I finally installed my front plates on using 3m tape and two screws mounted into the front bumper. Looks better than the factory mounting bracket (dealer selling it at 78.51). It's more flush with the front bumper and I have customs plates (mainly black and a little bit of white) on a black car, does not look bad. I actually like it.
yeah i recently found it the front bumper mounter is like 78 lol. Crazy that lexus/toyota would charge that much for a piece of plastic
Old 03-03-14, 06:45 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know where to get the ones that attach to your towing hook?
Old 03-04-14, 06:21 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sosodef79
anyone know where to get the ones that attach to your towing hook?
I contacted this outfit and they said they will have one for 2013+ GS this spring

http://www.rhoplate.com/

Just spotted this company that offers one for $79

http://www.cravenspeed.com/lexus-pla...e-plate-mount/

Last edited by nealb; 03-04-14 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 06:22 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the club, everytime I get one, I put double sided tape , stick it on and take it off right after I pay the ticket
Old 03-04-14, 07:49 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nealb
I used the Lexus plate holder and a WeatherTech plate holder together. Attached the Lexus holder to the bottom part of the grille using long butterfly bolts, then attached the WeatherTech holder to it using screws.

No holes in the bumper but it does cover up more of the air intake area.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/nea...tml?sort=3&o=0

I didn't want to go that route bc i wanted my car to have the most air it can get, just incase i run on it hard. I thought about making a custom brackets etc but for me its not worth the trouble of getting pulled over or have my front plates fly off using tape etc. I love the way it look with the front custom plates.

Last edited by G-SharK; 03-04-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-04-14, 07:52 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Welcome to the club, everytime I get one, I put double sided tape , stick it on and take it off right after I pay the ticket
I thought about doing that to my car too but I don't want to take a risk of getting pulled over for no front plates after a couple of drinks at the bar. I bet lots of people get pulled over for no front plate and end up getting ticketed or jail for other reason. I rather be safe and not get pulled over and harassed...
Old 03-04-14, 01:42 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
California is a stickler for the front plate and it's getting enforced more strictly around the state. It's about revenue. They want that front plate on not for ID, but for something easy to bounce Radar/Lidar off of. period.

If it really was for ID purposes, they'd mandate front plate lighting at night.

It's all about revenue generation.
A lot of laws are all about revenue and profit. Off topic but how is a guy harming anybody if he's carrying marijuana with him? Who is that exactly bothering? Not having front plates isn't harming anybody and it isn't a danger to anybody.

The point you make about the light is perfect. I've never been pulled over for a no plate, don't think thats possible in cali, but if i ever do I'm going to ask the officer "who am i exactly bother by not having any front plates? Who am i putting in danger?" curious to see how he responds

not getting mad about it tho. Theyre trying to make money
Old 03-04-14, 01:56 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
A lot of laws are all about revenue and profit. Off topic but how is a guy harming anybody if he's carrying marijuana with him? Who is that exactly bothering? Not having front plates isn't harming anybody and it isn't a danger to anybody.

The point you make about the light is perfect. I've never been pulled over for a no plate, don't think thats possible in cali, but if i ever do I'm going to ask the officer "who am i exactly bother by not having any front plates? Who am i putting in danger?" curious to see how he responds

not getting mad about it tho. Theyre trying to make money
I wouldn't ask him, cuz he may get an atitude and find more things to write on the ticket
Old 03-04-14, 03:06 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what TX DPS seems to indicate, they want front plates to be visible for them (and other folks) to be able to identify cars for any reason (Hit/Run etc)
Old 03-04-14, 08:28 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to clarify, in Dallas county, due to the ambiguity of the front plate law and all the stuff that happened surrounding that last year, the Dallas DA said he would not prosecute anyone for a missing front plate, therefore DPD was instructed to issue warning tickets if even that. Carrolton is clearly in a different county and their cops probably have less to worry about so them ticketing for this doesn't surprise me.

I am in Dallas, and Dallas county, and don't have a front plate. The guy at the dealership that was installing the plates said "says here you don't want the front installed?". I said, nope. "Yeah...this car shouldn't have a front plate. Looks better". I agreed with him, thumbs up.

If you're in Dallas, front plates are optional. Other places, roll the dice.
Old 03-05-14, 08:59 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who cares

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
California is a stickler for the front plate and it's getting enforced more strictly around the state. It's about revenue. They want that front plate on not for ID, but for something easy to bounce Radar/Lidar off of. period.

If it really was for ID purposes, they'd mandate front plate lighting at night.

It's all about revenue generation.
We have lived in Texas and California. The last time my wife and I had front plates on our cars was in 1982. Since 1982, I have gotten a total of one ticket, which I paid, and my wife has gotten none. The minimal annuals costs of tickets makes leaving the plates over well worth it.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for no front license plate!