GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 06:29 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership(Chambers Lexus MA) offers hand washing as an option, with a longer wait time. Cant say it was appreciably better. My black GS has Optic coat 2 application but still the dealership or any automated car wash will swirl it up. Really even a delicate hand wash with a no-rinse type of product, microfiber and all the other babying techniques will still swirl a black Lexus. Seems like a very soft paint used. I almost went with white this time but I just couldn't do it, another black car another second job keeping it clean.
JTmav
Old 02-27-14, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The problem is, they're going to run it through that washing machine again before they even start buffing it out...which just causes more scratches. In order to "buff" out the scratches they're removing thin layers of your clear coat. If they're going to attempt to fix it, and not succeed, then they removed some clear and your professional detailer will remove more. I would not let the dealership touch my car...just suck it up and take it the professional ASAP.
I had a long conversation with the service advisor and the service manager, I made it very clear in no uncertain terms it was NOT to go back through that machine. Whether they will listen to that or not remains to be seen.

I'm well aware that polishing paint means removing paint, I used to detail cars and have been a hobbyist detailer for years. Its never been polished though, it should be able to withstand two polishing rounds without issue.

We shall see...I'm supposed to pick it up midday...
Old 02-27-14, 08:25 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear man. But why let them fix it? I would expect you be the last one on earth to let them do it. Hope it works out for you. I'm glad to hear that they're willing to work with you.

On a side note, yes, I do what Joe does. I tape a piece of A4 paper right below the display. Verbal request is not enough. I always put this in the comment when I schedule service but somehow they managed not to read it. The verbal request and little note in comment don't seem to get transmitted to the guy in the back. You really need something right in front of the guy's eyes when he's about to drive your car into the grind machine. They must have talked about this during their meetings. Last two times I went in, when I mentioned "no wash" the advisors pulled out a color hard paper with "No Wash" on and placed it inside my car.
Old 02-27-14, 08:36 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

^ Agreed! This is one reason why I from Day 1 advised my Service Adviser they are not to run my car through their wash, I also leave the car dirty when I drop it off so I know for sure if it was ran through the wash. My Adviser knows if it goes through the wash I will know and inspect car for damages because at that point they will have to fix it. hope you get this squared away good luck
Old 02-27-14, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Sorry to hear man. But why let them fix it? I would expect you be the last one on earth to let them do it. Hope it works out for you. I'm glad to hear that they're willing to work with you.
Oh I know, and I remembered our conversation from when it happened to you LOL. Like I said...against every fiber of my experience but we'll see how it turns out.

I've actually seen this dealer's work which helps. Coworker of mine bought a 2010 GS350 in smokey granite from them that they buffed out for him and it looked okay. Some rotary holograms which are very repairable in one polishing step by me at home. I should be getting a call here any minute that its done...

if they can remove the marring from the wash and leave a poorly finished polishing job, I can handle that.
Old 02-27-14, 08:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lay on the dash.....

Old 02-27-14, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Alright....got the call...detailer is done, service rep went out and looked at it and "it looks great". We'll see.

We should start a pool...will it be satisfactory to me or not? lol
Old 02-27-14, 10:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

SO...end result...

Exactly what I thought. They polished out the damage inflicted by the carwash fine, but left lighter surface hologramming behind because they have no idea how to properly polish a car. Polish smatter everywhere, all over the wheels. Didn't polish the rear bumper at all.

The service manager and I really got into it, I was surprised by how rude he was...even at one point commenting that he didn't think their wash even caused the damage...and saying that since the car was dirty when it came in he has no way of knowing what condition it was in. I told him since I wash it twice a week I was telling him what condition it was in, and unless he was calling me a liar...thats the condition it was in. I also reminded him that I have been a customer of this dealership for 15 years...and to go ask my salesman how many buyers I've sent him, the last of which was 4 days ago. At the top of my lungs in the dealership driveway I told him bottom line...my car is not in the same condition as it was when I brought it in...and if I pay one dollar for this mess it will be the last dollar they ever see from me or anybody I can possibly influence to take their business elsewhere. He responds "I will talk to my manager" and I told him to do that.

A few minutes later another woman comes out and suggests that since the quote I got to have it properly buffed out was $250 and the service was $250 would I be satisfied if they just comped me the service...to which I replied yes.

I've done a lot of business with this dealer...and everybody has always been great...but I was really disappointed in this guy's attitude and insinuation that I was being less than honest with him.

I don't know if these will even come out, but this is the unbuffed bumper...the whole car was like this all the way around below the door handles
Attached Thumbnails And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...-img_0751.jpg   And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...-img_0752.jpg  
Old 02-27-14, 10:46 AM
Stinker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really sorry to hear about your vehicle. Just curious, which dealership? I also live in Maryland and my dealership is located in Annapolis. I never let them or any dealer wash my vehicle. However, one time they washed it even after I asked them not to. Needless to say, when I finished expressing my disappointment to my service advisor, he and everyone else there that day clearly understands. Now, when I go there for sevice, my service advisor says "I know, you don't want a car wash." I simply smile and say "that would be correct sir."
Old 02-27-14, 11:08 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to read what happened to your 4GS.. Hope you get a good detailer to buff out the damage. I would call Lexus Corporate and complain.
Old 02-27-14, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All fixed! Went over the rear bumper with some HD Uno and a compounding pad on my Flex, that took care of the bumper...which they didn't bother to polish at all...and then went over the whole car with some Optimum Opti Seal with a polishing pad and my Flex, that took care of the hologramming from their crappy polishing job.

So...spring detailing came early this year lol, car looks fabulous now. Could have lived without the frustration and the 4 hours of manual labor though.

Originally Posted by Stinker
Really sorry to hear about your vehicle. Just curious, which dealership? I also live in Maryland and my dealership is located in Annapolis. I never let them or any dealer wash my vehicle. However, one time they washed it even after I asked them not to. Needless to say, when I finished expressing my disappointment to my service advisor, he and everyone else there that day clearly understands. Now, when I go there for sevice, my service advisor says "I know, you don't want a car wash." I simply smile and say "that would be correct sir."
Lexus of Rockville. I bought my 03 ES from Lexus of Annapolis, that was back before they moved to the new big location they're at now. Annapolis is a great dealer, I' just so far away in Montgomery County.

Of course I always thought Lexus of Rockville was a great dealership LOL. I've had dealers damage vehicles a couple times, similar situation with Lexus of Silver Spring about 10 years ago, they washed it when I said not to and swirled it up. Once actually with Rockville when they parked my car up against a concrete pole or something...about 8 years ago maybe. Both times they were apologetic and genuinely wanted to see that I was satisfied.

I got no apology, no nothing from these guys this time. Very surprised.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-27-14 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 01:43 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Rule of thumb, if you drive a dark painted car never take delivery from the dealership after dark on a Friday evening. A few years ago, the dealership left dings on the door after servicing (left the car with them for about a week) and washed my car before I picked it up. Because it was dark, I couldn't see the dings. Because it was a Friday evening, I couldn't bring the car back the next day to complain because they were closed on weekends. The following Monday, the dealership service mgr. accused me of creating the dings myself because I had the car all weekend (convenient on their part).

Mental note: this was with a Land Rover dealership, not Lexus. But good food for thought.
Old 02-27-14, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've come to learn that dealerships are dealerships, regardless of the brand.
Old 02-27-14, 01:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I've come to learn that dealerships are dealerships, regardless of the brand.
True.
Especially when it comes to sales.
All dealerships are out to get the most money they can out of you.
Luxury dealerships just try to screw you in a more polite way.
Old 02-27-14, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Luxury dealerships just try to screw you in a more polite way.
This guy was not all that polite LOL

The best part was when he exclaimed that they couldn't paint my car....when I hadn't even mentioned anything remotely close to that...

I told him that wasn't at all what I was saying but added, if they damaged my car to the point where it needed to be painted...they damn well can and would paint my car. I want the car delivered back to me in the same condition that it was when I dropped it off...its a $60,000 car I'm paying them $130 an hour to service...doesn't sound like too much to ask.

Quick Reply: And the dealership's carwash DESTROYED my GS...