GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cracked windshield, bent front rim, what's next? lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 06:09 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
I posted earlier that I got a price quote of around $750. I had an employee discount so I got it for a bit less. As this is through Lexus it doesn't make sense that their price was that high. Might want to try calling another dealer. Did you ask what the price would have been if you had purchased it with the car?
Same thing, but rather than covering for 3 years from delivery, it will cover for 3 years from date of purchase of the warranty. Perhaps the approx. $350 difference is partly attributable to the employee discount, but I'll try another dealer just to get an idea. I assume I'd have to talk to the other dealer's finance people? If I can get them to under 1K, I'd probably go for it. The replacement tire, mount, balance, install from the nail incident was just shy of $300, which really sucks since the tire had only 2k miles/2.5 months on it.
Old 02-21-14, 09:10 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Originally Posted by dagwag77
Same thing, but rather than covering for 3 years from delivery, it will cover for 3 years from date of purchase of the warranty. Perhaps the approx. $350 difference is partly attributable to the employee discount, but I'll try another dealer just to get an idea. I assume I'd have to talk to the other dealer's finance people? If I can get them to under 1K, I'd probably go for it. The replacement tire, mount, balance, install from the nail incident was just shy of $300, which really sucks since the tire had only 2k miles/2.5 months on it.
I paid $600 with the employee discount. $750 was the retail price I was quoted. I could be off a few dollars, but not much more than that.
Old 02-24-14, 06:26 AM
isekii
Rookie

I paid 495 for 24month/20k lease for Wheel and Tire warranty.
Old 02-24-14, 06:37 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've already had 4 bent rims from the past 2 weeks from rolling on the NYC roads..
Now that potholes were not enough, I have a flat tire due to hitting a pothole...... What do people do at this point? Buy new set (4) of rims or repair them? I am iffy about repairing all 4 because I have mixed reviews on fixing bent rims. Many say it is as good as new and many say it will never drive the same. If that is the case, I don't want to go out and spend couple of hundred and not have the issue fixed while I can just buy new set of rims and have it fixed completely...
Old 02-24-14, 07:03 AM
isekii
Rookie

Originally Posted by ayoddOny
Well I've already had 4 bent rims from the past 2 weeks from rolling on the NYC roads..
Now that potholes were not enough, I have a flat tire due to hitting a pothole...... What do people do at this point? Buy new set (4) of rims or repair them? I am iffy about repairing all 4 because I have mixed reviews on fixing bent rims. Many say it is as good as new and many say it will never drive the same. If that is the case, I don't want to go out and spend couple of hundred and not have the issue fixed while I can just buy new set of rims and have it fixed completely...
Wow that sucks.

That was one of the major reasons why I thought the Tire/wheel warranty was worth it for me.
Living in NNJ and driving into the City every now and then was well worth it.
From what I hear, wheel repair should be fine and suppose to be good as new. But it may also depend on where you take it to get it repaired.
Old 02-24-14, 10:05 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ayoddOny
I fixed mine, they did a good job, but I would still replace it eventually. You can't make an egg round, right? That's how I feel, that even though it's fixed and rides great it's not the same anymore.

Of course it also depends on how badly it is bent. Small bents are easy to fix, but if it's bent badly, I say I get a new rim.
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I fixed mine, they did a good job, but I would still replace it eventually. You can't make an egg round, right? That's how I feel, that even though it's fixed and rides great it's not the same anymore.

Of course it also depends on how badly it is bent. Small bents are easy to fix, but if it's bent badly, I say I get a new rim.

Thanks for your input. Yeah I am planning on buying new set of rims.
I've did some research and as what you've said it will never be the same.
Also, I've been informed that usually bent rims, it will be fixed but it can be easily broken since you have to melt the metal and reshape the rim so it will be weaker than before.
Old 02-25-14, 03:33 PM
BigAnthony
Rookie

Sorry to see/hear the bad news. Im on the belt parkway every day and I use the Waze app and it alerts me to most potholes. It got really bad with the snow and salt eating up potholes larger than oil pans. You could fit a person into some of these holes. Every morning I see 20 - 30 cars pulled over with tire, rim, suspension damage. After the car in front of you blasts a tire in a pothole up comes a golfball size stone from the hole and evasive maneuvers follow. It makes for unpleasant commuting to say the least. I got the tire and rim protection package from my dealer and he has changed two tires and one rim thus far. More to come I'm sure. Good luck.
Old 02-25-14, 08:21 PM
wangster79
Rookie

I've read somewhere that some cities reimburse repairs for damages caused by potholes so I used my best friend Google and came across this. Might be worth a try.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4579013_dama...ty.html#page=0

Sent from my SGH-M919 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-10-14, 10:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

Can you recommend the shop where you took it to fix the bent wheel? Wife hit a pothole on the Gowanus while driving the CX-9 and the steering wheel vibrates slightly around 25-35mph. I may have to get it fixed even though I don't see anything bent.

I'm in Dyker Heights Brooklyn.

Ed
Old 03-10-14, 03:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Can you recommend the shop where you took it to fix the bent wheel? Wife hit a pothole on the Gowanus while driving the CX-9 and the steering wheel vibrates slightly around 25-35mph. I may have to get it fixed even though I don't see anything bent.

I'm in Dyker Heights Brooklyn.

Ed
Here is the shop I went to, http://www.yelp.com/biz/major-tire-brooklyn

They will take the wheel off, put a spare on and call you when it's done. Usually, it's done the next day or if you lucky the same day. My advice though, if you can find a used rim, just buy a used one.