GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY Oil change on 2013 GS350

Old 07-21-14, 10:47 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ordered all the stuff to do first oil change on my 2013.

Also ordered the Fumoto quick valve, which Ive used on all my other vehicles for years - no more oil plug! :-)

I will snap a pic once its done, thanks to other before me and the heads up on the oil filter tool and the plastic drain clip piece.
Old 07-21-14, 01:00 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
Ordered all the stuff to do first oil change on my 2013.

Also ordered the Fumoto quick valve, which Ive used on all my other vehicles for years - no more oil plug! :-)

I will snap a pic once its done, thanks to other before me and the heads up on the oil filter tool and the plastic drain clip piece.
U don't really need to use the plastic drain I just take the whole filter out u just need to put a rug under the filter that's all
Old 07-28-14, 03:55 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Yeah, I read that its not really needed...but Im so sick of oil "finding" ways to spill everywhere...all my old rugs and cardboard pieces are gone. I will test it just for S&G :-)

With my luck the plastic clip will pop out and fling oil every where...but I just gotta try it haha!

Now the Fumoto Main Drain valve...that thing rocks...No More pulling drain plugs on any of my vehicles for years...its an awesome product.

Originally Posted by richard203
U don't really need to use the plastic drain I just take the whole filter out u just need to put a rug under the filter that's all
Old 07-29-14, 06:10 AM
nealb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Any1 know how to reset the maintence light? nvm found it for any 1 want to know u just press ur odometer to trip A then turn off ur car and hold ur odometer while pressing the start button two times without holding the brake pedal and wait for the maintence to calculate to 0 and u r done.
To turn it off just set the odometer to trip A then turn the car off.

Hold the trip button down while turning the ignition to ACC but not starting it (must push button twice with foot off brake)

and you will see the maintenance required light reset.

1992 Miata SCCA STS autocrosser
Old 07-29-14, 06:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just buy a tarp so you can clean up any drips or spills easier
Old 07-29-14, 07:15 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

What are you guys running for oil change intervals? The Lexus maintenance schedules say every 8,000km - but that seems crazy to me, especially if running synthetic.
Old 07-29-14, 07:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I've done oil analysis with TBN tests on our familys TSX, Pilot, and LX470. The TBN additive remaining indicated the TSX and Pilot can go 10k miles, and the LX can go 11-12k miles on synthetic. Mobil1 5W-30 was used. Do an oil analysis at Blackstone labs with TBN test if you want to find your true oil interval and to see how well your engine is wearing.
Old 07-29-14, 10:14 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

my 1998 GS300 with 270K miles on it...I went 50,000 miles between actual oil changes. Changed the filter every 5K miles or so, and adding a quart or so. Still runs strong. How strong? Well lets just say it has no problem going over 100mph for extended period of time when the conditions permit...I do live in a desert.

When I removed the valve covers 3 years ago to replace the gaskets, there was ZERO sludge...it was honey-colored with no wear on the cam, valves, springs, and nothing to clean off the valve cover. I was surprised.

I caused quite a ruckus on another thread on this forum when I started documenting it. Everyone freaked out. Told me to analyze oil. But Why? My door locks, leather seats, console trim, etc were all done by that time...the engine was outlasting the interior. I had to replace the tranny at 225K miles, the AC at 175K, the master brake and ABS at 110K, Water pump at 80K, radiator at 150K miles...in other words, everything BUT the internals of the engine.

BTW - I still drive it, just not often. Only About 12K miles in last 4 years. Took it to New Mexico, and Utah, and Rocky Point Mexico earlier this year, same oil I put in it 2 years ago.

I did this on my RX300 I got ride of 2 years ago, owned that one from 35K miles to 185K when I sold it. 4 oil changes in that time, and dozens of filter changes. It still ran awesome.

I also did this on my 1988 Beretta, I go rid of that car between 225 and 250K miles...not because the engine stopped, but because the AC went out and the headliner fell down and the seats were torn to shreds.

My 2008 528i had factory recommended oil changes every 15K miles, 7 qts. Same cap as the 4GS has. And was specific to running synthetic.

My "Analysis" of the oil tells me when the filters are changed, and thus new oil is introduced, that its constantly adding new detergents and stabilizers.

Will I do this to the new GS350...yep. I have 7 qts of Royal Purple, and plan to change the filter every 10K miles, and replace whatever oil needs to top it off. Car has 22K miles on it. I will probably do another full change at 50K miles then 100K.

Let the bashing begin.

Originally Posted by GregCanada
What are you guys running for oil change intervals? The Lexus maintenance schedules say every 8,000km - but that seems crazy to me, especially if running synthetic.
Old 07-29-14, 01:38 PM
lexusbiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To prevent spills I always put down Preventive Pads, the kind Wal-Mart sells to prevent nighttime accidents in bed. They are 30"x 36" absorbent on one side and plastic on the other. When finished just roll it up and throw it away. Easy, no mess!
The following users liked this post:
Neural0 (08-24-23)
Old 07-29-14, 02:47 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Those work good too...when the stores actually have them in stock.

Originally Posted by lexusbiker
To prevent spills I always put down Preventive Pads, the kind Wal-Mart sells to prevent nighttime accidents in bed. They are 30"x 36" absorbent on one side and plastic on the other. When finished just roll it up and throw it away. Easy, no mess!
Old 07-30-14, 12:41 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Now, back to someone's question a while ago about mfgr recommendation Oil change every 8,000km (Thats 5,000 miles) - Lexus itself, in the Owners Manual calls for the First Oil change to be at 1-Yr or 10,000 miles whichever comes first - Page 4 of the 2013 GS350 manual.

Then on page 47 Lexus takes it further and specifically states: "Scheduled Maintenance Log
SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE LOG MAINTENANCE pg45
If you drive only occasionally under any of the special operating conditions noted, it is not necessary to change the oil every six months or 5,000 miles or to perform the additional services listed in the charts."

Then on page 52 at 20,000 miles it states "Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter"

BMW takes it further using the same filter style setup and same 7-qt oil capacity, yet they call for 15K miles.

Anyway, Im not suggesting people do what I do, but the 3,000 and 5,000 mile oil changes are a Dinosaur's age, and were never really needed...There are a even a few car companies out there now saying 20K between changes is ok.

Unless your running a turbo, or allow the engine to run dry of coolant and thus severely overheat it, we dont ever stress or burn the new synthetic oils hot enough to cook them like the old days...the new synthetics are...Awesome...they just dont break down. We also dont have the problem of a lot of water and vapors getting mixed into the oil these days, especially on the newer cars with really great engine designs and very little Blow-By. In the "old" days, head gaskets leaked small amounts of coolent, and there was a LOT more blow-by allowed on pistons, this would mix into the oil, sometimes upwwards of 10%...make the oil smell like gas, or even turn milky...tell me the last time you saw that on a Lexus.

Anyway, just thought Id give the "official" recommendations since it was asked. I still plan on doing my own extended way, but thats just me. :-)

link to manual: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1..._GS350_WSG.pdf
Old 07-31-14, 08:34 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, back to someone's question a while ago about mfgr recommendation Oil change every 8,000km (Thats 5,000 miles) - Lexus itself, in the Owners Manual calls for the First Oil change to be at 1-Yr or 10,000 miles whichever comes first - Page 4 of the 2013 GS350 manual.

Then on page 47 Lexus takes it further and specifically states: "Scheduled Maintenance Log
SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE LOG MAINTENANCE pg45
If you drive only occasionally under any of the special operating conditions noted, it is not necessary to change the oil every six months or 5,000 miles or to perform the additional services listed in the charts."

Then on page 52 at 20,000 miles it states "Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter"

BMW takes it further using the same filter style setup and same 7-qt oil capacity, yet they call for 15K miles.

Anyway, Im not suggesting people do what I do, but the 3,000 and 5,000 mile oil changes are a Dinosaur's age, and were never really needed...There are a even a few car companies out there now saying 20K between changes is ok.

Unless your running a turbo, or allow the engine to run dry of coolant and thus severely overheat it, we dont ever stress or burn the new synthetic oils hot enough to cook them like the old days...the new synthetics are...Awesome...they just dont break down. We also dont have the problem of a lot of water and vapors getting mixed into the oil these days, especially on the newer cars with really great engine designs and very little Blow-By. In the "old" days, head gaskets leaked small amounts of coolent, and there was a LOT more blow-by allowed on pistons, this would mix into the oil, sometimes upwwards of 10%...make the oil smell like gas, or even turn milky...tell me the last time you saw that on a Lexus.

Anyway, just thought Id give the "official" recommendations since it was asked. I still plan on doing my own extended way, but thats just me. :-)

link to manual: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1..._GS350_WSG.pdf
FWIW, I also had NO problems running 10K oil change intervals (always using Mobile 1) on my G35 with twin turbos. I had Blackstone run a UOA on each oil change to verify oil integrity too.
Old 07-31-14, 09:07 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

my 1998 GS300 with 270K miles on it...I went 50,000 miles between actual oil changes. Changed the filter every 5K miles or so, and adding a quart or so. Still runs strong. How strong? Well lets just say it has no problem going over 100mph for extended period of time when the conditions permit...I do live in a desert.

When I removed the valve covers 3 years ago to replace the gaskets, there was ZERO sludge...it was honey-colored with no wear on the cam, valves, springs, and nothing to clean off the valve cover. I was surprised.

I caused quite a ruckus on another thread on this forum when I started documenting it. Everyone freaked out. Told me to analyze oil. But Why? My door locks, leather seats, console trim, etc were all done by that time...the engine was outlasting the interior. I had to replace the tranny at 225K miles, the AC at 175K, the master brake and ABS at 110K, Water pump at 80K, radiator at 150K miles...in other words, everything BUT the internals of the engine.

BTW - I still drive it, just not often. Only About 12K miles in last 4 years. Took it to New Mexico, and Utah, and Rocky Point Mexico earlier this year, same oil I put in it 2 years ago.

I did this on my RX300 I got ride of 2 years ago, owned that one from 35K miles to 185K when I sold it. 4 oil changes in that time, and dozens of filter changes. It still ran awesome.

I also did this on my 1988 Beretta, I go rid of that car between 225 and 250K miles...not because the engine stopped, but because the AC went out and the headliner fell down and the seats were torn to shreds.

My 2008 528i had factory recommended oil changes every 15K miles, 7 qts. Same cap as the 4GS has. And was specific to running synthetic.

My "Analysis" of the oil tells me when the filters are changed, and thus new oil is introduced, that its constantly adding new detergents and stabilizers.

Will I do this to the new GS350...yep. I have 7 qts of Royal Purple, and plan to change the filter every 10K miles, and replace whatever oil needs to top it off. Car has 22K miles on it. I will probably do another full change at 50K miles then 100K.

Let the bashing begin.
My father did exactly this because he was very cheap and lazy. He add oil as need before and after filter change and only change oil fully every 40,000 miles. Only uses synthetic oil. Every car he has own had broken down but not all of them were engine problems most were transmissions. He did got two cars one at 180k and one at 145k thats had engine problem and loss of power. So I dont think your theory is 100% fool proof.

I told my Dad just like I am telling you now. Why spend $60,000 to $80,000 for a car and cheap out on a $60 full synthetic self service oil change? If your that cheap just buy a Kia soul or a Honda civic and save yourself $40,000 instead of a measly $1500 worth of synthetic oil changes in a cars lifetime.

I baby my car and change oil to factory specs intervals and my last car an 2006 Lexus LS430 with 230,000 still running like brand new until I sold it because I was bored of that car.
Old 07-31-14, 12:51 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

a) Im neither Cheap Nor Lazy - Ive rebuilt Automatic transmissions and spent $$$ on my car.

b) Once a person starts understanding the properties and dynamics of new synthetic oils, their heat points, how much pressure they can take, etc, one learns that the oil itself isnt the problem and doesnt break down like non-synthetic oil.

c) Maybe I just think outside the box a little and combine that with a little scientific knowledge and real-world experience.

The main issue at hand with oil is contamination and suspended abrasives in the oil that lead to engine wear. The detergents and chemical additives in oil are just that and do break down...however the oil itself isnt going bad.

If you could filter that oil black oil good enough, you would end up with honey-colored virtually new looking oil...uncooked, unburnt, but missing much of the additives.

What people also forget is that ALL engines burn oil..All of them. 1/4 qt every 1000 miles is considered acceptable by Lexus and every other car mfgr. at 10K miles you will have consumed between 0.5 to 2 qts of the original 7 qts.

Add in a brand new filter which will now clean any and all suspended contaminants from the existing oil, as well as draining another quart. 1 filter change then gives you about 1.5 to 2 qts new oil adding those detergents and additives back in, albeit at a lower concentration.

270K miles on my GS300 with no more oil burning than it did when I owned it at 40K miles. Under the valve covers is the real story...if the oil was going bad, it would be packed with sludge...its not. Not just that car but several others of varying engine designs and types...All with the exact same results.

100% fool proof - no, of course not. Nothing is. But the notion that oil goes bad every 5K miles is complete hogwash in todays world...I wonder how many "miles" Jet turbines get on an oil change? How about Train Locomotives? Long Haul Diesel trucks? Most fleets change the oil in those long haul trucks every 40-60K miles. Its documented and its on engines that see far more stress than ours.

The 3K oil change was an oil industry propaganda scheme, and it worked great. They used engines where owners never changed filters, or used crappy filters and never changed the oil as examples. Plus back then lets face it...engines were no where near the tolerances we have now

So...with all that said...what is your recommendation on keeping the rest of the vehicle in as good of condition as the Engine at 150, 200, 250, 300K miles? Things like the rubber bushings and boots, the power steering, seats, interior, paint? My bet is 90% of people wont have that car to 250K miles...I will. And it will be running just fine, I will probably be more pissed at other stupid things breaking like the S-Flow or Display screen not working...id bet on it. :-)

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
My father did exactly this because he was very cheap and lazy. He add oil as need before and after filter change and only change oil fully every 40,000 miles. Only uses synthetic oil. Every car he has own had broken down but not all of them were engine problems most were transmissions. He did got two cars one at 180k and one at 145k thats had engine problem and loss of power. So I dont think your theory is 100% fool proof.

I told my Dad just like I am telling you now. Why spend $60,000 to $80,000 for a car and cheap out on a $60 full synthetic self service oil change? If your that cheap just buy a Kia soul or a Honda civic and save yourself $40,000 instead of a measly $1500 worth of synthetic oil changes in a cars lifetime.

I baby my car and change oil to factory specs intervals and my last car an 2006 Lexus LS430 with 230,000 still running like brand new until I sold it because I was bored of that car.
Old 07-31-14, 12:54 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

In short...doing the oil filter regularly, the car is indeed still getting 2 full changes of oil every 50K miles due to the consumption and loss of oil at filter changes.

Now, Dont change the filter and try to do this, and Id bet a good hundred bucks the engine is toast by 120K miles or sooner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Oil change on 2013 GS350