GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking at a new GS anyone experienced any issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 11:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

The plastic supports for the mouse controls right underneath those painted silver lines on top. Take your hand and grab the entire section. Your fingers will be on that rigid plastic. Even better, try moving the whole thing with your hand, and lifting up on it. It squeaks, feels like it is about to pop off and just doesn't fit the other areas of plastic/rubber used. Take the plastic/rubber that is used around the stereo, and apply that to the center console area and that makes it more solid and less cheap feeling.

Again, my issues are minimal...the car is great. I said they were picky complaints...and apparently they are.

L8RSk8R-------get an Avalon. It's on the long LS wheel base, is very solid and has the Toyota reliability. Yes, it may not have that "wow factor" your clients would so despeartely want with a Lexus/MB/BMW name badge, but it has a huge back seat area where the seats actually recline.
Old 02-13-14, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The plastic supports for the mouse controls right underneath those painted silver lines on top. Take your hand and grab the entire section. Your fingers will be on that rigid plastic. Even better, try moving the whole thing with your hand, and lifting up on it. It squeaks, feels like it is about to pop off and just doesn't fit the other areas of plastic/rubber used. Take the plastic/rubber that is used around the stereo, and apply that to the center console area and that makes it more solid and less cheap feeling.
The plastic under that area is hard plastic I will give you that, but its nowhere my fingers ever touch unless I am exploring the area intentionally...the plastic actually moves inward from the top of the control pad, when resting your fingers they hang off the edge of the pad and never touch this plastic. Mine is solid, doesn't squeak or lift or like it would pop off...

I'm about as picky as they come when it comes to interior material quality, and I have derided it on other Lexus products and other manufacture's products...but I absolutely do not see it here.
Old 02-13-14, 12:00 PM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

If one really looks for it, I'm sure s/he will find something that s/he does not like about the car. I remember reading someone complaining about the space above the rear shade. For me GS Luxury interior is the best looking interior in its class. I'm very small detail oriented but I have no complaint about this interior. I'm sure it could be improved, but as is it looks dawn good. If it wasn't the interior, I would have ended up with an E or 5. And I'm sure glad I didn't.
Old 02-13-14, 05:02 PM
GM11
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the battery issues suffered by quite a few of us. Mine is okay now (after having the battery replaced) and although it might be considered a minor gripe by some, when it actually happens to you and you're stranded, it's very major ("Lexus reliability" is not the first thought that spring to mind).

Other than that I am gripe free after 18 months of ownership and we'll be keeping this car for many years it feels. One ongoing annoyance is the somewhat odd shape of the trunk that does not allow two large suitcases (whereas a Camry does, easily) but in our case that's only an issue when going to the airport and mostly we get a limo anyway.
Old 02-13-14, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The trunk difference you can thank the beefier suspension and RWD setup vs the Camry.
Old 02-13-14, 06:05 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the vehicle in April of 2012, so I am coming up on two years now. My biggest issues are as follows:

NONE

Hope that helps!
Old 02-13-14, 06:43 PM
wangster79
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Man this car is a blast I haven't had any real major issue's. Only minor issue I have is the rear view camera taking a few minutes to load, which by that time I'm already in drive. I also can't wait for spring so I can put my wheels on, as we are about to get snow tomorrow!
Really? A few minutes? I'm sure he/she is exaggerating but does anyone else have the same complaint? I'm not expecting an instant activation and I think a couple seconds is a reasonable time to load the camera.
Old 02-13-14, 07:10 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wangster79
Really? A few minutes? I'm sure he/she is exaggerating but does anyone else have the same complaint? I'm not expecting an instant activation and I think a couple seconds is a reasonable time to load the camera.
It happens 1 out of 15 times I out the car in reverse. If I start the car and put it in reverse immediately it increases the chance of it happening. Usually though I start the car, buckle the seatbelt, then put the car in reverse and that gives the processor to fully boot everything up. It's just like trying to open a program on a computer as soon as you start it up.
Old 02-14-14, 05:14 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW, haha I think I'm sold, although it'll be some time before I can afford one, I was going to go 3GS next but heard a lot of complaints about them, driving the 4GS as a loaner while my timing belt got done on my old 2GS I knew someday I'd have to own it, now I'm not worried about reliability glad to see already a large community for it on here, and thanks for all of your input!
Old 02-14-14, 09:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

2 years and 15,000 miles next month and ZERO issues. Love this car! Unless Lexus makes the RC Coupe really appealing there will be nothing else I am interested in. The GS is a joy to drive.
Old 02-15-14, 07:16 AM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
I purchased the vehicle in April of 2012, so I am coming up on two years now. My biggest issues are as follows:

NONE

Hope that helps!
LOL nice! yeah im only 3 weeks in and i cannot wait to go to work
Old 02-16-14, 12:42 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
I'm considering adding one to my limo fleet. I've a 2006 LS430, which I purchased new. It's been an absolute gem of a car, and it's still in service.
How does rear passenger room compare to the LS430?

I just saw a black GS on the road yesterday, it looked awesome.
I agree with JTRUE28, do not buy this for the rear seat unless your drivers are 4'11". It is tight. Adequate for most daily users and maybe a little better than the E350 but nothing like a LS or (god forbid) a Town Car. Paying assengers won't be impressed.

On another note, mine rattles. There are two different rattles in the dash. Haven't take it back yet (only 1,200 miles) but my ES that I gave my daughter is rattle free at 90,000.
Old 02-16-14, 09:25 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the '14 GS350 AWD provide a smooth and comfortable ride or is it more of a sport suspension?

I had a '13 Avalon Limited but could only handle all the jostling and noise pouncing into the cabin for 13 months. I went to a '14 RX350 AWD.

My wife may not want her car much longer and I may give her the RX and buy a GS for myself, but I want a good ride. My previous '09 ES350 was a pretty good comfortable ride.
Old 02-16-14, 10:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think it rides great, and I come from the ES and the LS.

It's more firmly sprung, and you do feel that at low speeds when driving over speed bumps etc, but at speed it's a very smooth and refined ride IMHO.
Old 02-16-14, 10:27 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think it rides great, and I come from the ES and the LS.

It's more firmly sprung, and you do feel that at low speeds when driving over speed bumps etc, but at speed it's a very smooth and refined ride IMHO.
Sounds almost like the RX. I think I would be happy with that...especially the added acceleration.

Did we have a "discussion" regarding tire types (V rated vs. H rated) on another site a few years back?

Quick Reply: Looking at a new GS anyone experienced any issues