GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

JoeZ Intake & Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 01:21 PM
smomin23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation JoeZ Intake & Exhaust

Hey guys before I even start, I'd like to apologize for my ignorance if there is threads out there already that discuss this question. I tried to find some however and I didn't run across any.

I have a 2013 GS350 F-Sport AWD (Obsidian w/ Flaxen if you were wondering ) and I would like to get a deep throaty rumble out of it. Its bone stock and even then it sounds really good on the high end (sound creator I presume) but I want the sound of the Joe Z Cat-Back. I know I can't get that cause of the AWD and that I'd have to opt for the Axle Back but, from what I understand its still an improvement. I figure I pair the exhaust with a Joe Z intake and I'm set!

Now thats all well and good but, I'm extremely new to this intake thing. So finally my question is:

Firstly, should I get the Joe Z D-AFI (intake pipe)? I opened the hood and the stock intake pipe is as straight as can be. I mean obviously the Joe Z is made of better materials and whatnot but does it make a noticeable difference is my question?

Second, if I get the pipe, can I attach a conical filter (K&N probably) at the end instead of putting it into the air box? I figure a bigger performance filter will further boost the intake system.

ANY insight would be extremely appreciated! Thank you so much in advance and I apologize once again for any ignorance on my part!

If anyone is wondering my current list of mods to do:
1. Red out tail lights (done)
2. Carbon fiber diffuser
3. Painted calipers with F-Sport decal (silver decal on F-sport blue, or Gold on black, or black on yellow) Suggestions?
4. Roof spoiler (probably body colored)
5. L-Shaped LED DRL Fogs
6. LED reverse lamps and puddle lamps
7. Joe Z intake pipe?
8. Joe Z Axle Back
Old 02-11-14, 02:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I can tell you since I've gotten the cat-back, it's like the intake sound generator got pissed off and went home. I can't hear it at all now. the axle-back does sound really good too though just obviously not as loud. I'm thinking about getting the Joe Z intake just because I have the exhaust and it'd be nice to compete the package. I don't know about the conical filter vs air box though...
Old 02-11-14, 02:45 PM
smomin23
Rookie

haha oh ok! Yeah I thought as much, axle back is half the system basically so I figured it would be half the volume, as long as it has the throaty exhaust note I'm good. I'm just wondering if that intake will improve performance or sound at all. It might actually reduce the sound at the higher rpm right? since we have to get rid of the sound creator to install it
Old 02-11-14, 02:46 PM
smomin23
Rookie

btw thanks for the reply!
Old 02-11-14, 05:45 PM
LexFather

We took off our Joe-Z intake awhile ago, it actually mutes the sound inside the cabin and eliminates the dual intake setup the GS comes with. It looked nice when you open the engine bay.

I'm exploring getting the Lexon exhaust..saw it and heard it in Japan and was blown away...
Old 02-11-14, 06:13 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

The GT Haus exhaust sounds pretty sick.
Old 02-12-14, 09:51 AM
smomin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexFather
We took off our Joe-Z intake awhile ago, it actually mutes the sound inside the cabin and eliminates the dual intake setup the GS comes with. It looked nice when you open the engine bay.

I'm exploring getting the Lexon exhaust..saw it and heard it in Japan and was blown away...
I'll take a look at the Lexon one too. So would you not recommend the intake for sound purposes?
Old 02-12-14, 09:52 AM
smomin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
The GT Haus exhaust sounds pretty sick.
Yeah it does! but thats not the sound I'm looking for plus the EV controlled version is like $3k
Old 02-12-14, 02:29 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend the intake from research i've done. you will not see any noticeable noise amplification, if any, and the performance gains are minimal. looks good in the engine bay and that's about it. +1 for the axle back, it'll sound much better than the stock, though as others have said, not as good as the full system cat. however performance wise, you will also not see noticeable improvement to the added RWHP.
Old 02-12-14, 03:53 PM
lazerlazer
Driver

Originally Posted by hypnotika
I would not recommend the intake from research i've done. you will not see any noticeable noise amplification, if any, and the performance gains are minimal. looks good in the engine bay and that's about it. +1 for the axle back, it'll sound much better than the stock, though as others have said, not as good as the full system cat. however performance wise, you will also not see noticeable improvement to the added RWHP.
^+1
Cold air intake is just a noise maker, with your exhaust you wont even hear the noise of the CIA.
Old 02-12-14, 04:43 PM
smomin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypnotika

Full system cat isn't an option unfortunately since I have an AWD but the axle back should be enough hopefully. Performance wise I don't NEED gain. It would be appreciated but where I live, it's more than enough to make short work of whoever is brake checking me haha that being said, I wouldn't say no to gains even minimal lol
Old 02-12-14, 04:47 PM
smomin23
Rookie

Originally Posted by lazerlazer
^+1
Cold air intake is just a noise maker, with your exhaust you wont even hear the noise of the CIA.
So intake becomes pretty pointless after exhaust basically. I might just skip the intake pipe and drop in a K&N air filter for added mpg and airflow
Old 02-12-14, 05:32 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done 1, 3, 6-8 and love all of them...plus I did a few other things
The calipers = I have black and like the look (IMHO)
Get it all from JoeZ...it looks good, sounds good and performs awesome!
Old 02-12-14, 08:35 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I am new and I don't know if this means anything to anyone but my GS is with K&N this week because they are developing an intake kit which they said should reach production in 3-6 months

Good luck with research!
Old 02-12-14, 08:44 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is a JoeZ clip. In the video there is stock exhaust, axle back and full exhaust. The JoeZ intake was install in all versions..Hope this helps

Quick Reply: JoeZ Intake & Exhaust