GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Enform / Pandora / IPhone

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 04:34 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Enform / Pandora / IPhone

Ok, I've searched and I can't find anything. 2014 GS, using the enform app, kills my phone battery very quickly, phone gets hot. Then I have issues with connecting, sometimes I get in the car and it connects fine, other times I have to go through the whole connection process again but the phone is still connected to use for telephone calls. Then there are times when the car app screen shows a different song then what is actually playing. What's the deal? Any ideas? Getting real frustrating.

Thanks for any and all help that you can provide.
Old 01-24-14, 06:25 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Best way to us donwload pandora on your phone and use play back via usb cord, so that it also charges your phone. You still retain the steering wheel controls too
Old 01-25-14, 08:44 PM
Nismo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Ok, I've searched and I can't find anything. 2014 GS, using the enform app, kills my phone battery very quickly, phone gets hot. Then I have issues with connecting, sometimes I get in the car and it connects fine, other times I have to go through the whole connection process again but the phone is still connected to use for telephone calls.
Same here.

The hot iPhone 5 and fast draining battery are, for me at least, no different than playing from any data streaming source, and so doesn't bother me. I use Enform's Pandora app during my 1.5-2-hour round-trip commute plus all day regular usage (mostly Good Enterprise email app) without charging. If going on a long road trip, however, I do keep it plugged in while driving to keep the battery from draining down.

The intermittent connections are annoying but, for some reason, don't seem to happen as often since upgrading to iOS 7--not sure if there's any correlation; could be just a coincidence. In any case, I'm now in the practice of waiting 20-30 seconds after starting the car to make sure the phone connects and starts playing correctly. For those times it doesn't, I turn the car off and on again and it almost always connects the second time 'round (one time, restarting the car didn't fix the problem--I think I had to reboot the phone in that case).

Last edited by Nismo; 01-25-14 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 06:41 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo
Same here.

The hot iPhone 5 and fast draining battery are, for me at least, no different than playing from any data streaming source, and so doesn't bother me. I use Enform's Pandora app during my 1.5-2-hour round-trip commute plus all day regular usage (mostly Good Enterprise email app) without charging. If going on a long road trip, however, I do keep it plugged in while driving to keep the battery from draining down.

The intermittent connections are annoying but, for some reason, don't seem to happen as often since upgrading to iOS 7--not sure if there's any correlation; could be just a coincidence. In any case, I'm now in the practice of waiting 20-30 seconds after starting the car to make sure the phone connects and starts playing correctly. For those times it doesn't, I turn the car off and on again and it almost always connects the second time 'round (one time, restarting the car didn't fix the problem--I think I had to reboot the phone in that case).
Yeah, I agree with the above but I'm trying to figure out why it has the intermittent connection issues. If you are saying that shutting off the car and restarting it fixes it then it tells me it's the app in the car maybe? I never had an issue with streaming Pandora through Bluetooth in my 2010 GS so I just may have to go back to that. I just hate having an option that doesn't work properly, just seems maybe there is something I'm missing or doing wrong.
Old 01-26-14, 09:42 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Enform/ Pandora app w/ an iPhone in the GS is a joke. My '13 Accord works 10x smoother. Quite an embarrassment considering this car costs more than 2x the Accord. I've heard those with Android phones have better luck.

What I do is use play Pandora on my phone to the car via Bluetooth, essentially bypassing most of the car's apps. It's less glitchy and I rarely have that hot phone issue.
Old 01-26-14, 11:12 AM
Nismo
Rookie

Arrow

When Enform won't connect, it's sometimes simply because the Lexus app on the phone went into power save. For that, I'll just have to activate the Lexus app on the phone to bring it out of power save.

Having used computers since the TI-99, C64, IIE and XT ("95% IBM compatible" anyone?), I've gotten used to troubleshooting and, in some cases, simply accepting technology that doesn't work 100% like it's supposed to.

For example, my phones (one android and one iPhone) only connect via Bluetooth with my home phone about 9 out of 10 ten times (shouldn't they connect 10 out of 10 times!?). And I've used Harry's Lap Timer at the track a few times and it has issues maintaining good Bluetooth connections with the GoPoint OBDII and SkyPro XGPS units its supposed to be talking with.

Guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty lenient on tech that doesn't work exactly right, although I know it pisses the heck out of a lot of folks. I'll wait. I'm sure eventually, between Apple and Lexus, they'll get it figured out. In the meantime, it works like its supposed to 90-something % of the time, so I really can't complain.
Old 01-26-14, 12:26 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's no big deal. Power cycling the audio system fixes 90% of Pandora connection problems in my car. VERY occasionally I have to restart the app on the iPhone. Perfection would be nice, but it works pretty well considering how complex the technology really is underneath the interface.
Old 02-14-14, 10:11 AM
bigchief8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Ok, I've searched and I can't find anything. 2014 GS, using the enform app, kills my phone battery very quickly, phone gets hot. Then I have issues with connecting, sometimes I get in the car and it connects fine, other times I have to go through the whole connection process again but the phone is still connected to use for telephone calls. Then there are times when the car app screen shows a different song then what is actually playing. What's the deal? Any ideas? Getting real frustrating.

Thanks for any and all help that you can provide.
I also have the problem of my iPhone getting hot while listening to Pandora, but I did discover if i restart my phone then launch the Enform app and listen to Pandora the phone stays cool, but the next time I get in the car, Pandora starts playing the phone will heat up. I am driving a 2014 IS350.
Old 02-14-14, 10:20 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I've ever open one app other then the the dealer showing me the apps. I think I used the destination assist twice because I felt lazy and didn't want to type in the address