GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I dont use snow mode. Its rubbish.
LOL...I don't think its rubbish at all. All it does is start the car in a higher gear...works great IMHO reducing wheelspin from a start.
Old 01-29-14, 11:20 AM
vinodc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think your issues are due to your choice of tires.

As we discussed above, no drive system can make up for improper tires. The Pilot Sport A/S is a great high performance tire, but I would never select those tires if I was worried about snow traction. I would venture to say your MB and 300 were on more conventional, less high performance rubber.

Another issue is temperature. It's been SO cold, all season tires are exponentially less effective at 15 degree temps than they are at 30 degree temps. I would also question what average temps you had driven the other cars in vs the temps this winter you've driven the GS in. Even my Jeep with SUV all seasons is tail happy in this cold. In these temps you really need winter tires.
I agree totally with what your saying, the bitter cold has made most non-winter tires lousy. But I still own my other sedans, and drive them currently along with the Lexus, in fact prefer them over the GS simply for safety reasons.
Old 01-29-14, 11:23 AM
vinodc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I am also in southeast Michigan and I have a F-sport with AWD 19 inch rims and Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. The car does slip and slide a bit but the tires make a huge difference. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 has not been good in the snow from many reviews due to the stiffer compounds. I have an Audi A8L with Dunlop wintersport 3D tires and they are an improvement over the all season continental contiprocontacts during the winter. I will update you on how my GS feels with the Blizzaks LM32 that I am placing on the car with separate rims.
I actually live in SW Michigan....so I got a lot of lake effect snow! But PLEASE do share with me how those tires are doing for you. I actually called discount tire yesterday for winter tires, the guy said its so late in season, I believe he would only be able to get some yokohama winter tires, at around $250 a piece.
Old 01-29-14, 11:48 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL...I don't think its rubbish at all. All it does is start the car in a higher gear...works great IMHO reducing wheelspin from a start.
Not funny IMNHO. Higher gear requires higher rpm to avoid choking the engine! Higher rpm is fuel! Keep your eye on your rpm when using snow mode. Spinning is something covered by TRAC I would hope, and manual does not limit this to rotation/spinning speed. But I do understand the point if you ate stuck on slippery ice and you want to to start roling. I havent had this situation yet. ECO works just fine,
Old 01-29-14, 11:58 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinodc
I actually live in SW Michigan....so I got a lot of lake effect snow! But PLEASE do share with me how those tires are doing for you. I actually called discount tire yesterday for winter tires, the guy said its so late in season, I believe he would only be able to get some yokohama winter tires, at around $250 a piece.
For sure. I will keep you posted. I order my tires from www.tirerack.com and they are super fast and get them delivered 1 day from South Bend, Indiana. They also have a wide selection of winter tires which are much much better then Yokohama winter tires. Bridgestone Bliizaks and Michelin Alpins are the best.
Old 01-29-14, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not funny IMNHO. Higher gear requires higher rpm to avoid choking the engine! Higher rpm is fuel! Keep your eye on your rpm when using snow mode. Spinning is something covered by TRAC I would hope, and manual does not limit this to rotation/spinning speed. But I do understand the point if you ate stuck on slippery ice and you want to to start roling. I havent had this situation yet. ECO works just fine,
So your issue is that it uses more fuel? I absolutely could not care less. Yes traction control stops wheelspin, but it also stops forward progress. I would rather start out in a higher gear, avoid the wheelspin and the trac kicking in and get going from a start whether it uses more gas or not. When I'm driving in the snow I want traction and safety, not fuel savings.
Old 01-29-14, 05:29 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

This thread is depressing. Reading the beginning of this thread there were a number of comments about how good the GS was in the snow. That was the last piece I needed to know before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Did that, come back to this thread, find out the tires I got on the car are bad, the snow mode sucks, etc...While I have taken the car on 3 test drives, none of them were in the snow. Put money down, supposed to sign papers and pick up the car in the next two days. Performance in the snow is a requirement for me. No matter how much I like the GS on dry pavement, performance in the snow is a make it or break it part of the deal. Sorry for the rant, but beginning to question my decision.
Old 01-29-14, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What you have to understand about forums is this sort of reply is always what you are going to get. I had the ES you had, now I have the GS you're shopping for. The AWD GS is better in the snow than the ES was. Is it the best car in the snow on earth? I can't speak to that, but I can tell you with absolute confidence it's better than the FWD ES.
Old 01-29-14, 06:22 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

What you have to understand about forums is this sort of reply is always what you are going to get. I had the ES you had, now I have the GS you're shopping for. The AWD GS is better in the snow than the ES was. Is it the best car in the snow on earth? I can't speak to that, but I can tell you with absolute confidence it's better than the FWD ES.
Thanks, that helps a bit.
Old 01-29-14, 06:44 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
This thread is depressing. Reading the beginning of this thread there were a number of comments about how good the GS was in the snow. That was the last piece I needed to know before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Did that, come back to this thread, find out the tires I got on the car are bad, the snow mode sucks, etc...While I have taken the car on 3 test drives, none of them were in the snow. Put money down, supposed to sign papers and pick up the car in the next two days. Performance in the snow is a requirement for me. No matter how much I like the GS on dry pavement, performance in the snow is a make it or break it part of the deal. Sorry for the rant, but beginning to question my decision.
To be honest with you, I am still very happy with my GS350 AWD in the snow. It has never gotten me stuck in the snow or spun out of control. Its very predictable and fun to drive in the snow. I would say its still at the top 25% of all the cars I have driven in the snow/ice. Which is still quite good. The snow mode helps a bit and the traction control and VSD control are working as needed. You will not be disappointed in it despite a few days of the year being very bad with the snowstorms. My Audi, Mercedes, and BMW are in my household and I have driven them all with the standard all season tires and they are no better then the GS. Just the same.

I do have winter tires on my Audi A8L and I just put winter tires on my GS today. So its not a fair comparison from some of us who have winter tires since we will always choose the car with winter tires base on our experience. Its a lot better. But for the majority of the drivers who have all season tires and never used winter tires, this car is still very good and stable.
Old 01-29-14, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There ya go!

Go for it, you'll love it. Why drive some ponderous SUV everyday when this car will get you where you need to go in 98% of snow situations! which really might only be 5% of your yearly driving to begin with?
Old 01-30-14, 03:47 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your issue is that it uses more fuel? I absolutely could not care less. Yes traction control stops wheelspin, but it also stops forward progress. I would rather start out in a higher gear, avoid the wheelspin and the trac kicking in and get going from a start whether it uses more gas or not. When I'm driving in the snow I want traction and safety, not fuel savings.
Lexus has never marketed itself as your if you dont care!

It does not require high deduction really. I have a hybrid. A HYBRID. I made it as lower priority to get AWD in comparisson. And I do get 30+ mpg, silence, range and attitude. I love snow and this car is quiet predictable in snow. 50-50 weight does count. When I climb on ice I usually back it uphills and problem is solved!
Old 01-30-14, 04:10 AM
GS14AWD
Rookie

Most my cars have been AWDs. Ranging from Subaru, Acura super handling AWD, Audi Quattro, BMW XDrive, MB 4Matic, and now Lexus. All these cars drove well in snow conditions. BMW's XDrive saved my life one time on highway, so I will always be a fan of XDrive. I do not know much about Lexus's AWD system. There are bunch of AWD comparison videos on internet, but haven't seen one for Lexus and I like to know what technology it uses.

Better yet, with a few portable rollers, I wish some people in the area can do comparison video. Shouldn't be hard to gather up latest AWD cars in the area. Just saying...
Old 01-30-14, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus has never marketed itself as your if you dont care!

It does not require high deduction really. I have a hybrid. A HYBRID. I made it as lower priority to get AWD in comparisson. And I do get 30+ mpg, silence, range and attitude. I love snow and this car is quiet predictable in snow. 50-50 weight does count. When I climb on ice I usually back it uphills and problem is solved!
Thats fine...but to make a bold absolute statement like "Snow mode is rubbish" because it costs you fuel in a discussion that doesn't even involve fuel but centers around the car's ability in the snow is completely out of line IMHO

Its like saying a helmet is rubbish because it messes up your hair...

Also bear in mind, 99.9% of us here don't have the hybrid.
Old 01-30-14, 08:16 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
I have only owned RWD vehicles so this was my first awd but, I have driven awd suvs like my mothers old X3 and her new X5. The GS is right on par with her BMW X5 and I still like the way my car handles in snow. The system is great although others are saying what they have been through I'm talking from my own experience and in Boston we got hit with some good snow where they didn't clean the streets. I tried to have fun all night on the desolate roads and I could not for the life of me slip out or lose control a little, to do a slide the car would not let me. Tires play a part but the system on the GS is excellent. Be happy with your purchase you will enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Impressed with the 4GS AWD in the snow...