GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Crazy transmission shifts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 06:21 PM
tlbryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy transmission shifts???

I have a '13 GS350; when the car is in cruise (generally between 80-90mph) if I am descending down a hill, the car shifts back and forth repeatedly between gears. Imagine driving on a flat surface and giving it a little gas and letting off, then giving it some gas again and then backing off. Super irritating. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-14, 06:31 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tlbryant
I have a '13 GS350; when the car is in cruise (generally between 80-90mph) if I am descending down a hill, the car shifts back and forth repeatedly between gears. Imagine driving on a flat surface and giving it a little gas and letting off, then giving it some gas again and then backing off. Super irritating. Any ideas?
What transmission mode is the car in? Normal, sport, etc?
Old 01-23-14, 07:36 PM
scham21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing I think they were engineered like that, why??? idk! but its to keep the car at the selected cruise speed.
Old 01-23-14, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Mine does the same thing, and I've heard from others theirs do too. Very strange.
Old 01-23-14, 09:38 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course it does! The torque converter transmission is using engine braking and gas to keep you at the set MPH. Because the grade (slope) is constantly changing it has to go back and forth between engine braking and gas to keep you at the desired speed. My only suggestion (if this bothers you) would be not to use cruise control unless driving on flat surfaces.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 01-23-14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 06:38 AM
tlbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dougm213
What transmission mode is the car in? Normal, sport, etc?
It's always in normal. I haven't had it long. Only used the paddles once or twice.
Old 01-24-14, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Of course it does! The torque converter transmission is using engine braking and gas to keep you at the set MPH. Because the grade (slope) is constantly changing it has to go back and forth between engine braking and gas to keep you at the desired speed. My only suggestion (if this bothers you) would be not to use cruise control unless driving on flat surfaces.
This behavior is NOT normal or typical as you suggest. I've owned many cars, all with cruise control, including many Lexus vehicles and I have never owned a car that behaves this way with cruise set and going down a grade. The shifting is rhythmic up and down at an exact interval. You can watch the RPM go up and down to the same two spots every 1.5-2 seconds or so like a stutter. Very bizarre.

It's obviously normal for this car, but it's a design flaw IMHO
Old 01-24-14, 06:43 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

Mine does that when going downhill as well. I just turn off cruise control.
Old 01-24-14, 06:44 AM
tlbryant
Driver School Candidate

Not my first Lexus or car....I have never known any car to do this including previous GS. The wife's RX doesn't do it. Sounds like it is a querk that a unique to the 6speed ('13) GS. Thanks for the response folks!!
Old 01-24-14, 06:46 AM
tlbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This behavior is NOT normal or typical as you suggest. I've owned many cars, all with cruise control, including many Lexus vehicles and I have never owned a car that behaves this way with cruise set and going down a grade. The shifting is rhythmic up and down at an exact interval. You can watch the RPM go up and down to the same two spots every 1.5-2 seconds or so like a stutter. Very bizarre.

It's obviously normal for this car, but it's a design flaw IMHO
Totally agree!!
Old 01-24-14, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally agree!!
Anybody who wouldn't agree is either not being real or hasn't experienced it. It is very obviously not right...it's not the end of the world but to say "all cars with torque converters do that in cruise" is just wrong. Although, if I drove in conditions that made this happen all the time I might just think it was the end of the world.

I haven't bothered to say anything to the dealer because I know lots of other people here have the same issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-24-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 10:18 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Anybody who wouldn't agree is either not being real or hasn't experienced it. It is very obviously not right...it's not the end of the world but to say "all cars with torque converters do that in cruise" is just wrong. Although, if I drove in conditions that made this happen all the time I might just think it was the end of the world.

I haven't bothered to say anything to the dealer because I know lots of other people here have the same issue.
I know what you mean the shifts are very fast back and forth as though its just constantly shifting as opposed to holding any gear. I have experienced it and it doesn't feel wrong to me at all. I doubt this was overlooked by engineers but rather behaves this way (differently than previous Lexus transmissions) for a reason. All torque converter transmissions set in cruise going downhill DO shift back and forth to maintain the set speed. Obviously every car will behave differently when doing it but they all do it. "It is very obviously not right" How So? The fact that everyone is experiencing this tells me otherwise.
Old 01-24-14, 10:45 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

All torque converter transmissions set in cruise going downhill DO shift back and forth to maintain the set speed. Obviously every car will behave differently when doing it but they all do it.
So that's not entirely true. I completely agree that this is normal behavior for this car and many others ( a number of GM cars have this feature as well ), but it's certainly not every car.

My Titan doesn't downshift on a grade when on cruise control, it just runs away from the set speed... that's much more annoying in my mind because if you hit the brakes to control your speed, you've now canceled cruise control.

It's certainly a feature not a flaw. However, there are a number of non-lux cars which don't do it so I can imagine someone's surprise.

Anybody who wouldn't agree is either not being real or hasn't experienced it. It is very obviously not right
That's just a bit silly though =)
Old 01-24-14, 11:06 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sarmyth
So that's not entirely true. I completely agree that this is normal behavior for this car and many others ( a number of GM cars have this feature as well ), but it's certainly not every car.

My Titan doesn't downshift on a grade when on cruise control, it just runs away from the set speed... that's much more annoying in my mind because if you hit the brakes to control your speed, you've now canceled cruise control.

It's certainly a feature not a flaw. However, there are a number of non-lux cars which don't do it so I can imagine someone's surprise.

That's just a bit silly though =)
I completely agree. Sorry for not being more clear but i meant torque converter transmissions with the ability to maintain set cruising speed traveling downhill.
Old 01-24-14, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have experienced it and it doesn't feel wrong to me at all.
LOL, I don't know what to tell you. A car should not buck back and forth every 2 seconds when driving down the road at a set speed. It feels very unnatural and unintentional. No car I have ever owned or have ever driven behaves that way. Anybody I have ever had in the car when it does that has always commented on it in surprise...so I suppose none of the cars they've ever ridden in or driven behave this way either. Every car I've owned including my 4 previous Lexus sedans can maintain a set speed when going down a grade by downshifting appropriately without bucking back and forth like a ride on bull. Obviously since this comes up lots of people feel its strange as well.

If they designed the transmission to behave this way, they need to go back to the drawing board

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-24-14 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Crazy transmission shifts???