Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

F-Sport vs Luxury Package

Old 01-22-14, 06:35 PM   #1
dougm213
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default F-Sport vs Luxury Package

Am I correct that the primary differences between an F-Sport and a Luxury Package are cosmetic, tires and larger front brakes? The primary F-Sport features are the Sport S+ mode and Adaptive Variable Suspension which the Luxury Package has too. The luxury package provides some other useful features - Fog Lamps, 3 zone climate, rear radio controls, adaptive front lighting, better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory. In the end, there is only a about a $500 diifference. Anyone drive both? Is there a difference in the handling or ride? Or is it the cosmetic features the attraction?

A side note - the Lexus build site need some corrections Heated Steering Wheel and Rain Sensing Wipers are part of the Cold Weather Package. The columns for F-Sport and Luxury both include the cold weather package but the checks are not set in both columns.

2014 GS/AWD Luxury and Cold Weather Package, BSM, Park Assist, Power Trunk
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by dougm213; 01-22-14 at 06:42 PM..
dougm213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 06:55 PM   #2
Rexus300
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

The F-sport AVS Sport+ settings is tuned for more sportier ride and is definitely firmer then the Luxury Sport +. There is less body roll in the F-sport then the Luxury. The dampers are firmer by default on the F-sport then the Luxury in normal mode. I prefer the handling big time over the Luxury. The tires also contribute to the ride difference but I put Michelins on my Fsport to give it a smoother ride since the standard bridgstones on the F-sport awd where not good. You really have to drive them both to know.
Rexus300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:59 PM   #3
natnut
Lexus Champion

3 letters : DRS
Brakes : Racingbrake 2 piece slotted rotors(front)
Engine : Torquemaster Star series spark plugs
Cosmetics/Interior : LED wedge lights, Chrome Trunk Bar, Borla exhaust tips,Blitz cabin filter, Luxer LEDs interior lighting,RMM Grille,TTE Trunk Spoiler
natnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:09 PM   #4
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't say "better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory" is a positive. The F Sport actually has the best, most supportive seats with thigh extenders. The Luxury simply has more adjustments.

dseag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:10 PM   #5
dougm213
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnut View Post
3 letters : DRS
You can get DRS with the Luxury Package Rear Drive vehicle.

Sounds like the true delineator is a more aggressively turned AVS and Sport S+ mode plus the tires and bigger front brakes.
Old 01-22-14, 08:13 PM   #6
dseag2
Lexus Champion

The Cabernet/Aluminum interior is also exclusive to the F Sport and after almost 2 years of owning my car I still find it striking.

dseag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:14 PM   #7
dougm213
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
I wouldn't say "better adjustible seats and front passenger seat memory" is a positive. The F Sport actually has the best, most supportive seats with thigh extenders. The Luxury simply has more adjustments.
I did sit in the F-Sport, I'll have to disagree. The Luxury also has the thigh extenders and also has the upper back adjustment. For my old bones, I prefer the Luxury seats.
Old 01-22-14, 08:20 PM   #8
natnut
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm213 View Post
You can get DRS with the Luxury Package Rear Drive vehicle.

Sounds like the true delineator is a more aggressively turned AVS and Sport S+ mode plus the tires and bigger front brakes.

That's not actually correct. DRS : Dynamic Rear Steering or for that matter VGRS is an option available only to the F-Sport.

That's the reason why LDH (Lexus Dynamic Handling) is only available on F-Sport since LDH = DRS+VGRS+special software tuning to enable both DRS and VGRS systems to work together.

Luxury shares the mechanicals of the adaptive dampers with F-Sport but lacks the mechanicals of the VGRS and DRS as well as lacks the software for the LDH.
Cosmetics/Interior : LED wedge lights, Chrome Trunk Bar, Borla exhaust tips,Blitz cabin filter, Luxer LEDs interior lighting,RMM Grille,TTE Trunk Spoiler

Last edited by natnut; 01-23-14 at 07:24 AM..
Old 01-22-14, 08:25 PM   #9
natnut
Lexus Champion

Default How VGRS in F-Sport Works

Prime Cuts: Lexus Variable Gear Ratio Steering
From March 2012 issue of Car and Driver

The ability to change a vehicle’s steering ratio has many advantages. A quicker ratio (fewer turns lock-to-lock) can give a vehicle a deft feel. At high speeds, switching to a slower ratio (more turns lock-to-lock) imparts a better sense of stability.

Lexus is not alone in using a computer-controlled system to change ratios, but its approach is pretty trick. Note that this type of active steering is far more involved than the variable-ratio units with rack teeth cut at differing angles; they can’t make ratio changes on the fly over the full range of lock. The more complex Lexus (and Audi) approach is essentially a gearbox built into the steering column between the steering wheel and the pinion gear.

Unlike BMW’s active steering system, which employs a planetary gearbox, Lexus’s Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) uses something called a wave generator and a flexible gear. Lexus claims its system is more accurate and quicker acting than others. VGRS can be found on the LS sedan, the LX SUV, and the new GS F Sport. We sliced into the unit to get an idea of  how it works and because we wanted to find out what a wave generator is.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-14, 08:27 PM   #10
natnut
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus Dynamic Handling : Incorporating DRS and reserved only for GS F-Sport

NOTE : LDH is reserved only for GS F-Sport.

Even IS F-Sport doesn't get DRS/LDH except in its home country of Japan.
Old 01-23-14, 04:49 AM   #11
dougm213
Rookie

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 01-23-14, 05:16 AM   #12
Trek
Driver

Quote:
That's not actually correct. DRS : Dynamic Rear Steering or for that matter VGRS is an option available only to the F-Sport.

That's the reason why only LDH (Lexus Dynamic Handling) is only available on F-Sport since LDH = DRS+VGRS+special software tuning to enable both DRS and VGRS systems to work together.

Luxury shares the mechanicals of the adaptive dampers with F-Sport but lacks the mechanicals of the VGRS and DRS as well as lacks the software for the LDH.
But you can only get DRS when you lack AWD, correct? Not everyone lives in California, Texas or Arizona. Do you see how much snow we're getting in the Midwest and Northeast? Gotta have AWD. It's better handling anyway, even on dry pavement.
2012 GMC Acadia Denali AWD, Carbon Black Metallic and loaded: DVD entertainment system,
heated and air conditioned leather seats, customizable Heads Up Display - Wife
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 05:24 AM   #13
Trek
Driver

Quote:
Lexus GS Dynamic Handling System - YouTube

NOTE : LDH is reserved only for GS F-Sport.

Even IS F-Sport doesn't get DRS/LDH except in its home country of Japan.
I just watched one of the YouTube videos that showed Lexus Dynamic Handing on the Luxury model.
2012 GMC Acadia Denali AWD, Carbon Black Metallic and loaded: DVD entertainment system,
heated and air conditioned leather seats, customizable Heads Up Display - Wife
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:07 AM   #14
5thavenue
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm213 View Post
A side note - the Lexus build site need some corrections Heated Steering Wheel and Rain Sensing Wipers are part of the Cold Weather Package. The columns for F-Sport and Luxury both include the cold weather package but the checks are not set in both columns.
Just a correction, but the rain sensing wipers are not part of the cold weather package. The heated steering wheel is though, unless you get the hybrid version, I think.
5thavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:55 AM   #15
SW13GS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseag2 View Post
The luxury model has the same thigh extenders.

It all depends on what you're looking for, a sportier drive, look & feel or a more luxurious look drive and feel? The F Sport looks more aggressive outside, it feels colder and more teutonic inside (which its supposed to) with the aluminum trim and the metal pedals, sport steering wheel, etc. I personally am a more luxury oriented buyer, so the luxury was the right fit for me but you can't go wrong.

Overall the F Sport definitely feels firmer and sportier on the road in all modes...

2013 GS350 AWD Luxury Package, Liquid Platinum with Flaxen Interior
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Maximum Steel with Indigo Blue/Brown interior
~Previous Lexus Vehicles~
2010 ES350, 2003 ES300 In the family: 2004 LS430, 1998 LS400
SW13GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:55 AM

Tags
active, dampers, fsport, gs, lexus, luxury, package, sport