GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Snow Chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 11:52 AM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow Chain

Going up the mountain tomorrow and need snow cable just in case. Tire size 235/45/18.

The manual says that the maximum thickness of the side CHAIN and the cross CHAIN must be less then 3mm(.12inch) and 4mm(.16 inch) in diameter, respectively.

Are they only referring to CHAINS, not CABLES? You see most of the passenger snow traction products on the market are CABLES, not CHAINS and ALL CABLES WILL BE thicker than what lexus specified.

I'm trying to buy either of the two products below. Both meet class "S" specification. By the way, Pepboy has 20% of on all of their regularly priced items online until tomorrow. (code: Merry20)

http://www.pepboys.com/search/products/?term=sz339
http://www.pepboys.com/search/products/?term=sc1040
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
manual.pdf (68.2 KB, 486 views)
Old 12-18-13, 03:52 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

can anyone chime in on this?
Old 12-18-13, 04:26 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're putting chains on a Lexus? Man, if you don't have a truck/SUV, perhaps you could rent one. I treat my Lexus like fine china.
Old 12-18-13, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I probably would not use either of these chains on the Lexus. With the low profile tires, you're just asking for damage with these.

If I were going to use chains I would perhaps consider something like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=367491_0_0_

Way more expensive, but I wouldn't risk screwing up a $60,000 car with a $40 set of chains.
Old 12-18-13, 05:32 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I probably would not use either of these chains on the Lexus. With the low profile tires, you're just asking for damage with these.

If I were going to use chains I would perhaps consider something like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=367491_0_0_

Way more expensive, but I wouldn't risk screwing up a $60,000 car with a $40 set of chains.
hmm.. the manual says you may use chain. Unlike some of you with 19 inch (which snow chain cannot be installed on), I a set of have 18 inch tires.

I looked into the Thule cable ($500), but I thought it was too much considering I'll only use it once during the lease term.
Old 12-18-13, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have 18s. Sure, you "can use chains". That doesn't mean all chains are created equal, and that some cheap, one size fits all chains won't damage the wheels or the fenders of the car.

Its an expensive car, with low profile tires on expensive wheels. I think if you need to use chains from time to time, its reasonable to take some time to find a good, high quality set that is designed to be used on such a vehicle with low profile tires.

Note the wheels the chains you posted are displayed on, high sidewall truck tires. Note the wheels the chains I posted are displayed on...low profile high performance tires.

EDIT- Looking into the Michelin tire chains I posted...even they are not appropriate for bigger than a 17" wheel.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-18-13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe look at these:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=1046

They list the Z Chains, but they are sized for the proper wheel/tire application...

Your size is 235/45/18
Old 12-18-13, 10:01 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You guys actually have it backwards.

The cheapo cable chains are less damaging and wear and tear on your car then "real" chains. they aren't as beefy and so don't shake your car to bits.

They actually will run smoother then chain-link, especially if you are just going to be on CA DOT maintained roads, and not your own private unplowed snow covered driveways.

The problem is that the cheapness may fall apart, and/or will be a pain to take on/off especially with RWD where you cannot angle the wheel.

I do agree, if you intend to use these more than once, you should buy chains that offer easier installs. At least they need to be able to be put on without moving the car, and should have auto-tensioning/centering.

This will put you in the $100-$200 range.
On my Tahoe car (not a lexus), I use Thule cs-10 chains. Completely worth it.

The super expensive $500 ones that go on the hub... well, perhaps you should just rent an SUV instead.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-18-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 10:18 PM
raytseng
Instructor

regarding the diameters measurements, the manual is talking about the diameter of the metal wire used to form the link, and that doesn't really map over well to what is the diameter of the entire link/cable; and what clearance is needed.

I think if you get any S-rated chain you will be fine. Heck, tire tread itself allows a range of 10/32->2/32=6mm in itself, so if you got more worn tires, that's some extra space right there.
Old 12-18-13, 10:44 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I did t read through the thread but u guys look into snow cables instead
Old 12-19-13, 05:03 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

well, perhaps you should just rent an SUV instead.
I would be inclined to lease a 4 wheeler with snow tires preferably. Most provinces in Canada, the use of chains are restricted to certain roads and times of the year. They also reduce traction by quite a bit on dry surfaces. If you do not have experience with chains I recommend going the rental route.

A vehicle with snow tires should be all you need for paved and compacted road surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarrisMa (12-05-22)
Old 12-19-13, 05:28 AM
jucytec
Rookie

sounds like a bad idea...
I'd settle for a car with snow tires... which is what i do from late december to march.

not sure what you are doing in the mountains, but our cars are low enough that it'll bottom out in any deep snow. no chains or snow tires will help you there...

if your car does get stuck... and snow mode / traction control doesn't work... turning the traction control completely off (park, traction off once, then hold again) and peeling out does the trick at times.
Old 12-19-13, 07:05 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This looks cool!

Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K23 (Sold in pairs): Automotive Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K23 (Sold in pairs): Automotive
Old 12-19-13, 07:10 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Oru can get this

Tyre-Grip - Spray to enhance tire traction on snow/ice : Amazon.com : Automotive Tyre-Grip - Spray to enhance tire traction on snow/ice : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 12-19-13, 08:18 AM
raytseng
Instructor

If you're going skiing and on california riads, the road is going to be r1 or r2 chain chain controls.

Which means awd/4wd with at least an m-s tire with good tread, or regular car with some type of chain. Snows on 2wd don't meet requirements
Technically, the 4wd is also required to carry chains though.

CA roads will be shutdown before they require chains on 4wd at the checkpoint.
Some people who cheat will just glue or put on a magnetic awd badge. They may put on snows to get the winter perf. they need.

They will turn you back if you dont have chains on right or meet reqs. Also if you get into an accident or get stuck and its because you sneaked through or took off the chains early, chp will ticket you, tow truck will bill you a grip to get you out. And you may find your your insurance is also denied if you have damages.

Quick Reply: Snow Chain