GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2 Months in a 2013 GS 350F

Old 12-12-13, 02:34 PM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2 Months in a 2013 GS 350F

I traded in a 2011 G37S for a 2013 GS350F. The following is my comparison and review after 5k miles:

I loved the G37S! It was fast and you could throw it around while maintaining control. We bought it when we traded in our G35 and planned on keeping it for 2-3 years. I really wanted the M37S but at the time could not justify the additional cost.

After 2 years I began to look at trading in the G37 for a M37. I could not find the color and options i wanted and they were not building any new ones until the 2014 model came out. A friend told me to look at the Lexus GS. The short of it is that i now own a 2013 GS 350F. I know the two cars are very different and do not compete with each other as far as class etc.

The interior:
What i Like: The layout and finish is outstanding. The comfort of the seats is excellent. I originally didnt like the red seats( yes i call them Red) but my wife convinced me otherwise and i am glad i listened! I finally sat in the back seat and was impressed with the comfort. The many adjustments of the front seats are wonderful on long rides. In Texas cooled front seats are becoming a basic requirement. Overall it is refined and comfortable with well placed controls and features.

Could be better: I have already worn a spot on the door where my arm rests. It has a indentation due to resting my arm. Some of the electronic issues could be better but they are much more than on the G37. Still trying to figure out where to put a holder for my iphone. The backup camera should be better. The G37 was much easier and safer to use. The start up screens have become annoying! I would like the steering wheel to telescope further.

The Exterior:
What i like: The front. To some it may be a bit aggressive but i like the look. Its a big car compared to the G37. It has clean lines and flows really well. Not as eye catching as the M37. The lights are excellent and the day time running lights are a welcome addition.

Could be better: It can be a bit plain from the rear. In looking at the mods so far many have made changes here. Why are there no fog lights on the F-Sport?

Performance and handling:
What i like: It is subtely fast. While not as fast at the G37, it will get you going pretty quick. It does it in a much smoother and deceiving way. It seems to be able to almost match the handling of the G37 and this is surprising for a bigger and heavier car. The ride reminds me of the BMW 530I.

Could be better: It gets a bit twitchie on the highway. I have noticed that it tends to bounce around a bit. It can be a bit shaky on rough roads at highway speed. The engine sounds like a diesel when not moving. It would be nice to have the sound of the G37 at rest. I am not as confident in the breaks as i was in the G37. This is partly due to the size and weight. I am starting to get used to the traction control. I wish you could program it to start in sport +and then change it if you want. Changing the setting each time you start off can be annoying. Fuel economy could be better but that may be due to my tendency to let it go at times.

Overall: I really like this car. It is step up from the Infiniti as far a refinement and comfort. I was asked by a friend what the difference is and i can explain it this way. The G37 was a fighter jet. The GS350 is a fighter/bomber. I can still take turns with my tail on fire while enjoying a smooth ride when i want. I can let it go and enjoy the acceleration and handling and then bring it back under control and smoothly ride on.
Old 12-12-13, 02:41 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fjholguin
I traded in a 2011 G37S for a 2013 GS350F. The following is my comparison and review after 5k miles:

I loved the G37S! It was fast and you could throw it around while maintaining control. We bought it when we traded in our G35 and planned on keeping it for 2-3 years. I really wanted the M37S but at the time could not justify the additional cost.

After 2 years I began to look at trading in the G37 for a M37. I could not find the color and options i wanted and they were not building any new ones until the 2014 model came out. A friend told me to look at the Lexus GS. The short of it is that i now own a 2013 GS 350F. I know the two cars are very different and do not compete with each other as far as class etc.

The interior:
What i Like: The layout and finish is outstanding. The comfort of the seats is excellent. I originally didnt like the red seats( yes i call them Red) but my wife convinced me otherwise and i am glad i listened! I finally sat in the back seat and was impressed with the comfort. The many adjustments of the front seats are wonderful on long rides. In Texas cooled front seats are becoming a basic requirement. Overall it is refined and comfortable with well placed controls and features.

Could be better: I have already worn a spot on the door where my arm rests. It has a indentation due to resting my arm. Some of the electronic issues could be better but they are much more than on the G37. Still trying to figure out where to put a holder for my iphone. The backup camera should be better. The G37 was much easier and safer to use. The start up screens have become annoying! I would like the steering wheel to telescope further.

The Exterior:
What i like: The front. To some it may be a bit aggressive but i like the look. Its a big car compared to the G37. It has clean lines and flows really well. Not as eye catching as the M37. The lights are excellent and the day time running lights are a welcome addition.

Could be better: It can be a bit plain from the rear. In looking at the mods so far many have made changes here. Why are there no fog lights on the F-Sport?

What i like: It is subtely fast. While not as fast at the G37, it will get you going pretty quick. It does it in a much smoother and deceiving way. It seems to be able to almost match the handling of the G37 and this is surprising for a bigger and heavier car. The ride reminds me of the BMW 530I.

Could be better: It gets a bit twitchie on the highway. I have noticed that it tends to bounce around a bit. It can be a bit shaky on rough roads at highway speed. The engine sounds like a diesel when not moving. It would be nice to have the sound of the G37 at rest. I am not as confident in the breaks as i was in the G37. This is partly due to the size and weight. I am starting to get used to the traction control. I wish you could program it to start in sport +and then change it if you want. Changing the setting each time you start off can be annoying. Fuel economy could be better but that may be due to my tendency to let it go at times.

Overall: I really like this car. It is step up from the Infiniti as far a refinement and comfort. I was asked by a friend what the difference is and i can explain it this way. The G37 was a fighter jet. The GS350 is a fighter/bomber. I can still take turns with my tail on fire while enjoying a smooth ride when i want. I can let it go and enjoy the acceleration and handling and then bring it back under control and smoothly ride on.
Good to hear this. I had a 2012 BMW 5 series and I hated it. I love my 2013 GS350 F-sport a lot more and I am happy with my choice. As for the shaky feeling on certain highways, blame the crappy bridgestones or dunlop tires that come standard with this car. It also made the car a bit twitchy. I switched them out for Michelin Primacy MXM4 and the car feels much smoother and planted on the highway.
Old 12-13-13, 02:38 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also switched from a G37S to a GS350F and have never looked back. My G37 was a 6 speed though so it was a whole different car from the automatic G37S. So much more funner and enjoyable to drive. I would occasionally swap my wheels out and take it out on track days as well. It was a heck of a car, very easy to drift and control during the mid-drift. Beautifully balanced like you said. The Lexus however, serves a different purpose. It just screams class. It is just on a different level. Much more mature, beautifully built and crafted. Personally I dont think other car manufacturers have anything comparable to the GS350F-Sport right now.

Here is a fun fact in case you didnt know. The stitching in the GS350F interior is done by hand. But not just by any hands. The people who are certified to stitch the interior interior have to pass rigorous inspection tests to be certified to sew the interiors. Part of this certification is that they must be so flawless in their art, that they must be able to sew with equal perfection using both hands. If their left hand is not as good as their right or vice versa, they are not certified to sew Lexus interiors any longer. This is something they have been doing only in the past few years. I think post 2011 if im not mistaken. Just thought you would enjoy learning about that fact. Just goes to show the type of detail and craftsmanship goes into these cars. Thats what makes a Lexus a Lexus i guess.
Old 12-13-13, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fjholguin

The interior:

The Exterior:

Not just the GS, most backup camera's on Lexus's are not up to snuff, no guidelines or stationary guidelines that don't move and grainy resolution are the biggest problems.

Design is subjective so can't really argue that. It comes down to cost for the foglamps, which if you're already paying as much as you are they really should be standard. It is an easy mod though, many have added the fogs.

That's because of the Direct Injection.
Old 12-13-13, 04:46 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not just the GS, most backup camera's on Lexus's are not up to snuff, no guidelines or stationary guidelines that don't move and grainy resolution are the biggest problems. Design is subjective so can't really argue that. It comes down to cost for the foglamps, which if you're already paying as much as you are they really should be standard. It is an easy mod though, many have added the fogs. That's because of the Direct Injection.
I think the camera on the 4GS is great. I just wished us US people were graced with turning guidance lines. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-13-13, 05:58 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think the camera on the 4GS is great. I just wished us US people were graced with turning guidance lines. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Believe it nor not a 2013 Chevy Avalanche that I test drove has the turning guidance lines. A Chevy! Shame on Lexus.
Old 12-13-13, 06:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by yardie876
It's not "terrible", but lighting is sometimes off and the picture is grainy not on just the 4GS but accross the Lexus line as are my impressions driving these cars on the daily. And comparing them with our Acura, BMW, Infiniti and Mini stores.
Old 12-13-13, 06:40 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Trek
Believe it nor not a 2013 Chevy Avalanche that I test drove has the turning guidance lines. A Chevy! Shame on Lexus.
I had a Chevy Traverse as a loaner a few months ago and correct the guidance lines moved and they had more vivid colors than some of these Lexus's
Old 12-13-13, 08:52 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhhhh, gotta love 1st world problems ! LOL
Its just a camera guys, it works perfectly fine and it helps make parking immensely easier. Be happy you're privileged to even own a Lexus. Sorry, just thought I would put things into perspective for you a little.
Old 12-13-13, 09:36 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSTASY
Its just a camera guys, it works perfectly fine and it helps make parking immensely easier. Be happy you're privileged to even own a Lexus. Sorry, just thought I would put things into perspective for you a little.
Nobody needs perspective, we buy Lexus expecting something very close to perfect. Grainy VGA backup cameras with static lines don't cut it in this price range. Neither do clickety clack GDI engines that need 50hp more and are a 6 year old design. I'm hoping the GS-F brings the goods (and that I'll be able to afford one by the time they're released...gotta climb another rung on the corporate ladder lol).

Other than those things, I love my GS350 F Sport. I also agree with most of the nits the OP mentioned. That and I have some interior rattle from bass frequencies thanks to the ML system and can't figure out where they're coming from. Otherwise, fit and finish is exceptional, interior is a masterpiece of functionality, hidden lighting and soft surfaces. Enform gets the job done (until you get into XM land and then all logic flies out the window). I'm still surprised how many looks this car gets. I guess it's still new to a lot of people and the GS has the widest LED surrounds out of all the models so far. Plus that front bumper looks like Darth Vader is about to eat the car in front of you, it's positively menacing.

I thought I was a die-hard Infiniti fan going into this. I have only owned Japanese marques since my first 1981 RX7 GSL. More than half of my cars have been RWD. That's what sets my expectations. I fell in love with my G35 sedan, the only thing worth hating was the miles per gallon but the fun factor offset it easily. I had a Q50 preordered that Infiniti couldn't deliver on time. So I cross shopped, found a great deal and test drove a few before I brought this one home.

In the final analysis (in reference to power) I don't know if this car needs 50hp more, or if it's all in the delivery. 1st gear seems intent on getting you into second before putting the engine on boil to prevent wheelspin. It's a GOOD, SAFE feature but it's a BORING feature. Everyone loves the occasional red light chirp or a little wheelspin off the line on a nice summer's day. Perhaps the G35/37 was the wild child with a nice interior, well balanced chassis and an aggressively geared transmission that made it more fun. But this car, it seems more grown up, and it acts more grown up. Despite all that, I would still like to have a "smoky burnout" switch like the new M3/M4 have with the optional transmission, for the hooligan in me.
Old 12-13-13, 10:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned a G37S Coupe, and we traded it for a G37S Convertible. The G37 is fun, but suffice to say if I'm driving we always take the G350 F Sport. It is on a totally different level.
Old 12-13-13, 10:05 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I owned a G37S Coupe, and we traded it for a G37S Convertible. The G37 is fun, but suffice to say if I'm driving we always take the G350 F Sport. It is on a totally different level.
It should be, for the price and options, etc. But can you define what that level is? Higher level of comfort, control, steering feel, sound system? Or is it a general feeling that is hard to define?

As I said, this car feels more grown up than my old G but will still pass other cars easily on the highway in Sport or S+ modes. It just doesn't feel as thrilling while doing it. Agree?
Old 12-13-13, 10:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It should be, for the price and options, etc. But can you define what that level is? Higher level of comfort, control, steering feel, sound system? Or is it a general feeling that is hard to define?

As I said, this car feels more grown up than my old G but will still pass other cars easily on the highway in Sport or S+ modes. It just doesn't feel as thrilling while doing it. Agree?
The GS just feels much more refined, overall, than the G37. Also, the interior is leaps above the G.

My gf loves the G37 Convertible because of the top-down driving. I am not so enamored with it because it feels "coarse" and the ride is much rougher than the GS. Regardless, we are trading it in for a new G37 Convertible when the lease is up in March.

Last edited by dseag2; 12-13-13 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 01:34 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LEXSTASY
I understand that, but for what you pay for the car as a whole don't you think you deserve a better quality camera? It is a "Luxury" car after all
Old 12-14-13, 03:55 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I understand that, but for what you pay for the car as a whole don't you think you deserve a better quality camera? It is a "Luxury" car after all
The camera is fine. I spend maybe 10 seconds a day driving in reverse. If it was in glorious THX HD1080p, I'd probably be driving to work in reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 Months in a 2013 GS 350F