GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My GS quandry

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 02:08 PM
mrphelps01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GS quandry

Hi all. Here's my deal. I own a 2010 LS 460 sport. I just had a GS 450h as a loaner from my Lexus dealer and was really impressed. It didn't have the luxury package and I found the seats very comfortable. So, liking the idea of an awd vehicle, and to save some cash, I test drove a loaded GS 350 awd. Great. Except I found the luxury package seats uncomfortable. So I tried the same car without the luxury package and the seats were good, but the lack of avs and sport+ really stood out. Seems like they make it a whole different car. Do people agree?

I know there is a suspension forum, but just generally, is there something I could do aftermarket to make the base GS-350 drive more like the GS 350 luxury package? (Mainly suspension/steering-wise. I'm not that worried about the altered shift points because I can deal with that by using manual shifting.)

My other option would be to buy a base 450h, which would restrict me to buying a used one because of the price. Plus I'm not sure how much I'd miss the awd in the snow and the standard/non-cvt transmission.

Some pretty general questions, but any feedback would be helpful.
Old 12-11-13, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Wow, you're the first person I've ever seen who doesn't like the Luxury's seats. To me they're one of the best parts about the car.

If I were you I would drive another Luxury package (which I think makes the car IMHO, the interior upgrades as well as the AVS) and really spend some time adjusting the seats. They have 18 way adjustments, spend some time really getting the seat adjusted like you like it (articulating backrest, adjustable side bolsters on the seat back and bottom, the thigh support, lumbars, etc).
Old 12-11-13, 05:50 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Try the F sport before contemplating an aftermarket suspension solution (ouch!) The F sport seats are different than the luxury seats, and with a little luck, they’ll be different enough for you. I developed an aversion to aftermarket suspensions after my 2001 GS430 "improvement" ordeal.
Old 12-11-13, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JellyBean
TThe F sport seats are different than the luxury seats, l.
The F Sport drivers seat is basically the same seat as in the luxury with a different headrest.
Old 12-11-13, 05:56 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Out of curiosity - can you describe the difference you felt between the non-lux and lux seats?
Old 12-11-13, 06:19 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The F Sport drivers seat is basically the same seat as in the luxury with a different headrest.
The lux seat is Semi-aniline if that makes any difference
Old 12-11-13, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by puckhead85
The lux seat is Semi-aniline if that makes any difference
It does indeed IMHO. I think the semi-aniline leather is a nice improvement.
Old 12-11-13, 09:04 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The F-Sport to me has some of the most comfortable seats in any luxury sedan I've driven. They feel great on long drives and I love how they "hug" you when cornering.
Old 12-11-13, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely...
Old 12-12-13, 07:20 AM
mrphelps01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dagwag77
Out of curiosity - can you describe the difference you felt between the non-lux and lux seats?
My back is pretty finicky, which is why I bought the LS 460 (very comfortable seats--sort of like a living room on wheels) even though I've never really liked the car. So I was actually surprised when I found the seats in the base GS 450h fairly comfortable.

The luxury seats have a lot more moving parts than the base seats. (18 power adjustments v. 10, I think.) I guess the more moving parts, the greater the chance that something might not align perfectly. But my general sense was that the seat backs in the lux seats weren't as smooth and flat as the non-lux seats. It doesn't take take much.

So would the lack of avs be a deal breaker for you folks? It might be for me.
Old 12-12-13, 12:17 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Have never driven an LS but I've been told it's sofa on wheels as you said. Maybe Syd can comment on this. For me, I love the luxury seat. I can not live without the leg extenders. I can do a five hour drive straight without a problem. When I drive other cars, I feel like my legs were hanging in the air. The seat feels very short. Does premium have leg extender?
Old 12-12-13, 01:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Have never driven an LS but I've been told it's sofa on wheels as you said. Maybe Syd can comment on this. For me, I love the luxury seat. I can not live without the leg extenders. I can do a five hour drive straight without a problem. When I drive other cars, I feel like my legs were hanging in the air. The seat feels very short. Does premium have leg extender?
this is my cue... thanx BN. the seats in the 2013 LS460 are a vast improvement over the previous model LS vehicles. my seats are very comfy although i do miss the adjustable bolstered seats i had in the GS F Sport. i am running a staggered set up on the LS so my ride has changed somewhat but still LS like and still a very comfy ride.
i actually like the way the base GS drives, i really didn't notice a difference between the Base and Lux, other than the fact that the Lux has Sport +. if you want a base that drives like a Lux in Sport + then look into coil overs. RS*R has them for the GS.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-12-13 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrphelps01
So would the lack of avs be a deal breaker for you folks? It might be for me.
I personally think the AVS rides better, as you said. Some disagree but that was my experience.

I would try the luxury's seats again after spending some time adjusting them...
Old 12-12-13, 07:34 PM
DonOH
Driver School Candidate

I also did not like the Lux seats. On the unit I drove, the bottom cushion felt too flat and the thigh extender had an end piece that dug into my leg.

I then drove an FSport and loved the seats. So impressed that I bought the car (one week ago).

I love this car, love how it drives handles and drove through the snow last night. Seats are still great.

I expected to really like the Lux seats but didn't.

I will say this, when I bought my 2008 ES350, I drove two units both with the Plus package with supposedly the same seats and found the seats fit me differently. Even after adjusting the lumbar, one dug into my back and the other didn't.

If you drove one Lux model and like the car otherwise, try another one and see if the seat fits you better.
Old 12-12-13, 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DonOH
I also did not like the Lux seats. On the unit I drove, the bottom cushion felt too flat and the thigh extender had an end piece that dug into my leg.

I then drove an FSport and loved the seats. So impressed that I bought the car (one week ago).
They're the same seats!

Quick Reply: My GS quandry