GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking for opinions which GS350 Fsport Obsidian/Cabarnet or Liquid Platinum/Flaxen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 12:55 PM
dkermaier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions which GS350 Fsport Obsidian/Cabarnet or Liquid Platinum/Flaxen?

I'm looking for opinions which GS350 Fsport - Obsidian/Cabarnet or Liquid Platinum/Flaxen?

I know its a personal choice, but I'm curious for feedback and opinions, I like them both but having a hard time making a decision.

Thanks

Dan
Old 12-08-13, 01:39 PM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Obsidian / cabarnet looks all some, its just a lot of work keeping it looking that way.
Old 12-08-13, 01:59 PM
dkermaier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris8152
Obsidian / cabarnet looks all some, its just a lot of work keeping it looking that way.
How bad is it between car washes?
Old 12-08-13, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The obsidian is VERY soft. It scratches and swirls easily, any use of automatic car washes or anything other than very careful manual car washes and it will look rough. Just do a search on here.

I have LP/Flaxen but I don't care for the Flaxen on the F Sport, I think it needs the wood trim. How about LP/Cabernet?
Old 12-08-13, 02:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO you can't go wrong with either combo... i had the OB/CAB GS F Sport, loved it but she was very high maintenance. i'd say if you go OB, then have a coating applied, OC 2.0, CQF... i think you should have a coating applied no matter what color you decide on. Lexus paint is obscenely soft. if you plan on running your car through a car grinder, then go with the LP, it will still instill scratches and swirls but won't be as noticeable for some time, then at some point you will need to have it detailed.
Old 12-08-13, 05:31 PM
dkermaier
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to go for the Obsidian/Cabarnet - it's only a 27 month lease - worst case next time I won't go with black ;-) But for now I think I will enjoy it....
thnx
Old 12-08-13, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Especially this time of year, the obsidian is gonna drive you mad
Old 12-08-13, 06:12 PM
LexFather

A year later we still drool going inside the car

Old 12-09-13, 07:06 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexFather
A year later we still drool going inside the car

I have LP and Cabernet and love it.
Old 12-09-13, 10:42 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ob/cab here. Yes the black shows every single flaw including bird droppings that etch within 24 hours or less. I keep Meguiar's quick detailer and many microfiber towels in the trunk at all times.

That being said, with careful hand washing, waxing, and care, it's an unbeatable color for the 20 minutes it stays clean after you wash it. Some people say owning Obsidian (or any black car really) will become a second job, but man, when you see it perfectly cleaned and polished, gleaming in the sun, it's totally worth it.

I nearly bought the Nebula with cab leather but both local dealers had just sold their last ones, so I ended up with Obsidian and this is my first black car. It's a lease so I'm not super super **** about it, but I am doing everything to make sure it stays beautiful short of paying for a coating. If I was going to keep it past the lease, I would coat it with some protectant, but I think by the time my lease is up, the GSF will be available and I'll upgrade.

The cabernet leather will transfer dye as you slide your new indigo jeans across the seat over time, which you can clean with some Lexol or other gentle products. You'll have this same problem, maybe to a greater degree, with flaxen. Nature of the beast.

Decide how much time you have to spend babying your car, and go from there. All the colors Lexus offers are stunning on this car thanks to the detail and shapes. I wish they offered the deep sea mica (or whatever the Lux gets) on the F Sport. :/
Old 12-10-13, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
including bird droppings that etch within 24 hours or less.
24 hours? Try 20 minutes in the summer. Seriously.
Old 12-10-13, 08:05 AM
Joji
Driver School Candidate

anyone tried the car cover ... could be a better option to keep the dust and stuff away
Old 12-10-13, 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If anything a car cover will mar the paint worse...
Old 12-10-13, 10:05 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Ob/cab here. Yes the black shows every single flaw including bird droppings that etch within 24 hours or less. I keep Meguiar's quick detailer and many microfiber towels in the trunk at all times.

That being said, with careful hand washing, waxing, and care, it's an unbeatable color for the 20 minutes it stays clean after you wash it. Some people say owning Obsidian (or any black car really) will become a second job, but man, when you see it perfectly cleaned and polished, gleaming in the sun, it's totally worth it.

I nearly bought the Nebula with cab leather but both local dealers had just sold their last ones, so I ended up with Obsidian and this is my first black car. It's a lease so I'm not super super **** about it, but I am doing everything to make sure it stays beautiful short of paying for a coating. If I was going to keep it past the lease, I would coat it with some protectant, but I think by the time my lease is up, the GSF will be available and I'll upgrade.

The cabernet leather will transfer dye as you slide your new indigo jeans across the seat over time, which you can clean with some Lexol or other gentle products. You'll have this same problem, maybe to a greater degree, with flaxen. Nature of the beast.

Decide how much time you have to spend babying your car, and go from there. All the colors Lexus offers are stunning on this car thanks to the detail and shapes. I wish they offered the deep sea mica (or whatever the Lux gets) on the F Sport. :/
Totally agree with you. Pain in the behind but well worth it. With a coating it will last you a little longer. If no rain, mine stays shine for a few days to a week.
Some argue LP shows more lines and shapes of the F Sport and I tend to agree with that too. It's a tough choice for F Sport. For non F Sport, I vote Black for sure. For interior, I would pick Cab for F Sport. Flaxen doesn't go well with aluminum. IMO It needs the wood from the luxury to complete the picture.