GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Local dealers are saying no eyes free for the '13 models now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 05:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Can't believe lexus would do this to their customers. Punishing first MY customers. It's basically a simple software thing because lexus wouldn't do any hardware stuff after 1 year of release. Not cool lexus...
It's not punishing. It's what people get for not having patience. It's far bigger than Siri Eyes free. RWD models get the 8-Speed, auto folding mirrors, auto-button for heated and ventilated seats etc.. Patience is most certainly a virture
Old 11-15-13, 06:11 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But this is an upstart, they've set out to change the way business is done. Thats a great thing, but doing that as a low volume upstart and doing that as one of the world's largest automakers are two different things.

You can certainly speak with your buying dollar. As much as I like the Tesla, you sacrifice a LOT over a more traditional car. The tech is great, but its unpolished in places. From a comfort, quality perspective their interior leaves a lot to be desired.

I suppose I just don't understand what all the hubbub is about Siri Eyes Free. I have an iPhone, the only time I ever use Siri is when a group of us are goofing asking it to find us hookers or how much wood could a woodchuck chuck? Do you guys really use Siri that much?
They may be an upstart, but Tesla doesn't manufacture the LCD panels, they outsource them just as Apple does. Toyota could just as easily find a supplier that could produce in volume to accommodate their needs.

And the siri part as I understand it is allowing you to receive and dictate and send text messages. That alone is worth it. But more than that, the ability to send maps information for navigation to the cars navi. In essence, tell the car where you want to go and siri will tell the car.

I think the biggest problem is most people don't fully understand what siri would do for the car because they generally don't use it as much on their phones.

I thought the same on the iPhone 5s about the finger sensor. I use it now without thinking and love it. You can't miss what you aren't informed about and that seems to be where the shortfall is. Most buyers don't realize what the tech can do for them and advancements are finally getting to the point our devices are able to intelligently speak to one another.
Old 11-15-13, 07:52 AM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
But more than that, the ability to send maps information for navigation to the cars navi. In essence, tell the car where you want to go and siri will tell the car.
It doesn't do that. It just starts Apple Maps on the phone and then you can listen to directions through Bluetooth Audio or iPod mode. That's what the OM says.
Old 11-15-13, 03:45 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

They could at least add an iTunes radio app.
Old 11-15-13, 04:23 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would they offer it a cost? I wouldn't mind if it was a nominal fee
Old 11-15-13, 04:35 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

I would pay a couple hundred as well.
Old 11-15-13, 05:40 PM
Snype
Rookie

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
They could at least add an iTunes radio app.
I don't see the need for that. You can access iTunes Radio stations through iPod or Bluetooth Audio source UI's. Granted, I'm a Pandora guy. Used iTunes Radio for a day and found it to be lacking.
Old 11-15-13, 06:20 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

It is useful so I'm not having to look at my phone.
Old 11-15-13, 06:21 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Pandora has an app integration in the car. I would like the same thing for itunes radio.
Old 11-16-13, 09:00 AM
Snype
Rookie

Pandora has an app integration in the car. I would like the same thing for itunes radio.
You already do though, in iPod / BT modes. All you can't do is favorite a song or whatnot. In iPod you get the album art, etc. and in BT you'll still get all the metadata. I also don't see how a special app could be made for iTunes Radio. It's integrated into the Music App and uses the same interface to the car as Podcasts, etc.
Old 11-16-13, 10:16 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Like I said, it is not about major functionality. It is about not being the idiot looking down at my phone to change stations. Are you saying I can change stations through the BT functionality built into the car?

It would be about the same as integrating with Pandora. Would just take a bit of development. Since they already integrate with the music app, probably just need to display the saved stations.
Old 11-16-13, 07:43 PM
Snype
Rookie

Are you saying I can change stations through the BT functionality built into the car?
Oh yeah, you can change stations by browsing in Bluetooth Audio or iPod. In Bluetooth, I believe there's a "Radio" option you can select at the top browsing level, then it lists your stations. In iPod, I believe it's under Playlists -> Radio. iPod is a bit weird as you select a station, then it gives you two list items. No clue why Apple did that, but it works.
Old 11-17-13, 07:27 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Learned something new. It works perfect over bluetooth. Click on the album and you can change stations.

Thanks!