GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sat in a 2014 CTS, my thoughts compared to the GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
On a basic level, I agree with Vladi. Why does anyone need 400hp, 500hp, etc. to drive around city streets and suburban highways in the US of A? It's almost ridiculous. This isn't Germany. There is no autobahn. However, I also see SW13GS' point: Lexus is in competition with BMW, Audi, etc. And if the competition differentiates engines, Lexus may have to at least consider doing the same.
Its not about need, these are luxury performance cars. Sure the GS as it is now is plenty adequate, and I really don't care about more power but people do. The reason the GS lost the compero with the CTS was power. The only downside reviewers gave in the last comperos it won was power.

The 2.0 I drove in the CTS was as peppy and responsive as the V6 in the GS, What they need to do IMHO is bring a GS200t to compete with the 528, make it a little cheaper or even the same cost as the current GS350, then bring in a turbo V6 to compete truly with the 535 and price it maybe $5k more. Then you have the GSF to compete with the 550 and CTS V Sport.

Then again, Lexus may have already decided for the GS sports sedan, that engine differentiation within the same model (GS) is not the Lexus way.
They already have two engines, we just forget about the hybrid. The GS has a long history of two, even three engines.
Old 11-11-13, 12:06 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
See I completely disagree with this. I do not believe in 500hp/5000lbs/Family car, that's why I never ever warmed up to any M5/M6GC, E-AMG/S-AMG, RS6/RS7. I see no point in muscle cars that can take you fast from light to light and drink gas like there is no tomorrow. They are not sports cars by any means nor will they ever be. I do not condone the existence of RS/AMG/M/F/V cars, they should exist cause they are the crown for the series range and they are manufacturers and owner's bragging rights. But other than that they have no purpose whatsoever or my perception of thrill is somewhat different.

I believe in a good four door and sports car next to each other in your garage combo

There is so much to a four door than horsepower and engine and that is something you start to experience once you drive the car. Like why is 2014 CTS dashboard so deep once again and windshield glare is still present, or why does the interior still feel like its 2006 instead of 2013 despite quality materials, why are fans too hissy and noisy at the highest settings and so on.
I am not discrediting CTS here, its a good car but just not good as GS with luxury package no matter the engine. Its the whole package that counts, whole experience.

My post might sound radical but that's how I feel things. I would pick GS300h over any high horsepower four door sedan including F/V/AMG/etc variants.
Since when did it become a rule that just because you need a car with four doors and room for passengers and luxury that you should not want to have fun in the car? My last Lexus GS350 I owned I had a 505 hp Z06 Corvette sitting next to it, just as you suggest. But I decided I no longer wanted $135,000 in two cars with one sitting most of the time (I have three motorcycles that I ride all the time on weekends also).

My solution was to get rid of the GS350 and buy a BMW 550 with 400 hp. I would have bought an M5 or something else with bigger hp, but I'm in a saving mode as I head toward retirement. But like I said, just because I need a four door at this time doesn't mean performance should not be all I can get.
Old 11-11-13, 07:31 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its not about need, these are luxury performance cars. Sure the GS as it is now is plenty adequate, and I really don't care about more power but people do. The reason the GS lost the compero with the CTS was power. The only downside reviewers gave in the last comperos it won was power.

The 2.0 I drove in the CTS was as peppy and responsive as the V6 in the GS, What they need to do IMHO is bring a GS200t to compete with the 528, make it a little cheaper or even the same cost as the current GS350, then bring in a turbo V6 to compete truly with the 535 and price it maybe $5k more. Then you have the GSF to compete with the 550 and CTS V Sport.

They already have two engines, we just forget about the hybrid. The GS has a long history of two, even three engines.
To me the hybrid doesn't count. I'd never buy one.
Old 11-11-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me the hybrid doesn't count. I'd never buy one.
Thats the problem, apparently nobody would buy one LOL
Old 11-11-13, 08:58 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

how was the dashboard and the infotainment system? I've never been inside it but I've seen reviews on youtube and they looked horrible. Everything was laggy and I hated the volume thing. Why remove ***** when nothing was wrong with *****. I visited a caddy forum and the users said that they only use the wheel buttons for volume and changing songs and stuff, thats how bad it is
Old 11-12-13, 05:08 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infamous3
how was the dashboard and the infotainment system? I've never been inside it but I've seen reviews on youtube and they looked horrible. Everything was laggy and I hated the volume thing. Why remove ***** when nothing was wrong with *****. I visited a caddy forum and the users said that they only use the wheel buttons for volume and changing songs and stuff, thats how bad it is
I tried one in an ATS. Hated it.
Old 11-12-13, 06:52 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. If I wasn't prejudiced against Cadlllac, I would get the Vsport and trade in my 4GS.

2. Lexus must add 50-75 HP to the F-Sport version, and an additional 100lb ft of torque.

3. I couldn't understand why the F-sport had the same engine as the non-F-Sport. That didn't make sense to me.

4. No way was I wasting extra dough on an uglier Lexus GS (I admit to not liking the F-sport front end) that wasn't any quicker than the Premium/Luxury GS.

5. Had the F-Sport come with a much more powerful engine than the Premium/Luxury, I might very well have accepted the F-Sport's less attractive looks and picked one up.

5. Lexus needs to differentiate the two by giving them different engines. Put a Twin Turbo or something in the F-Sport. If Lexus can't beat the Caddy competition, well....shame on them.
Very well said Trek. I agree with every point you made. You reflect my exact thoughts after owning this car for over a year and a half now. I would like to see some clear differentiation between the Lux and Sport models in the performance department. Maybe next year.
Old 11-12-13, 09:20 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjm
Very well said Trek. I agree with every point you made. You reflect my exact thoughts after owning this car for over a year and a half now. I would like to see some clear differentiation between the Lux and Sport models in the performance department. Maybe next year.
Thanks rjm. Perhaps it will happen when my lease expires, just in time for the new 2015 models.

As a young guy, I always craved the fastest car I could get my hands on. Now, as an aging Baby Boomer, I think back on what that was all about. As a college kid, I once came off the Pulaski Skyway in NJ at 107 mph. That bridge has about a 45-55 mph limit. I got caught by the police and ticketed. A couple of years later, I was driving out on the flats of Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania and was caught by a state police helicopter. They clocked me at 121--in a 12 year old jalopy no less. It was pointless and I could've been killed in both instances. It was young male "full of juice" and stupidity stuff. I didn't even own cars with a lot of horsepower. So why do I or anyone else need 400 or 500 HP today? I don't get it.

The speed limit, depending on the road, is still 55 or 65 or 75, or even 35, whether you are driving a 1.2 liter puddle jumper or a 500 HP monster. And for people living in or around big cities, there is no opportunity to go "Autobahn" anyway. So what practical use is there for a whole bunch of horsepower? As a regular guy, I think it is all about feeling our oats, testosterone, or whatever you want to call it. It's "mine is bigger than yours," if you get my drift. It's the reason most women (there are exceptions) don't get the HP fever. It's all about knowing you can blow the doors off the next guy on the road if you wanted to, even though you can't actually do that legally and without great risk to public safety. Let's be honest: very few of us will ever bother to actually take a car onto a test track. I don't have the time. So why do we want more horsepower? I don't begrudge anyone who wants more and more horsepower. To each his own. But there is no logical reason for it. It's just passion and wanting to feel mine is bigger than yours. I think I'm over it.

Last edited by Trek; 11-12-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-12-13, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Its a mess. The issue is not so much the layout, you get used to that, but its very laggy and glitchy, something as simple as just turning the volume up or down with their weird touch system is a pain.
Old 11-19-13, 10:25 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at the CTS-V in 2012 (I have access to the GM family discount, so I was motivated to at least look) and thought it was pretty fine…until I got to the back seat. Like sitting in a hole, reminiscent of the late 70s Camaro/Firebird. Measurements or no measurements, it was awful.

Better now?
Old 11-19-13, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Much better now, its a significantly bigger car.
Old 11-19-13, 10:40 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

>So why do I or anyone else need 400 or 500 HP today?

You don't; it's an arms race among the manufacturers. I'm old enough to remember the last one; didn't make any sense then either.

EXCEPT…kids would drag mom and dad into Pontiac to look at a fire-breathing GTO…and mom and dad would walk out with the keys to a new Bonneville. I don't think that dynamic is nearly as important to sales as it was back in the day.

Last edited by 5PM; 11-19-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-05-13, 01:41 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Surprisingly MT named it "Car of the year". I can't really see how. It's a nice looking car but can't seem to agree with them.
Old 12-05-13, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can see it. Its a showcase really for how far Cadillac has come as a company. Its a significant car for them.

Saw one on the road today, it has good road presence. I do like the LED lighting in the front, especially from further away it makes it look wide which I like...
Old 12-05-13, 06:45 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw the MT comparo too, but then remembered the CTS V-Sport is only RWD , need AWD

Last edited by kh4nh; 12-05-13 at 06:57 PM.