GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Vibration when in drive and stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 09:35 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration when in drive and stopped.

i know when the car is in drive and you are stopped, there is load on the powertrain, but i just noticed a slight vibration on the steering wheel and center armrest.

not sure why i noticed it all of a sudden, car has 14k miles on it, but is this normal?

when driving or in park everything is fine however.
Old 10-23-13, 11:43 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm not really. The car is super quiet even when the transmission is on load. I don't feel that on mine. let the dealer check it out. its on warranty
Old 10-24-13, 06:34 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No noticeable vibration on mine either. I would get it checked. If it turns out to be a transmission problem you need to get it on your record before the warranty expires.
Old 10-24-13, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I have the same issue, I posted a thread about it. If you slip the transmission into neutral or park, the vibration goes away. I've also found if you turn the HVAC off the vibration goes away...its definitely a harmonic resonance sort of thing.

Mine goes in for the 15k service here in a couple weeks, I'm going to have it looked at then.
Old 05-20-14, 03:38 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have the same issue, I posted a thread about it. If you slip the transmission into neutral or park, the vibration goes away. I've also found if you turn the HVAC off the vibration goes away...its definitely a harmonic resonance sort of thing.

Mine goes in for the 15k service here in a couple weeks, I'm going to have it looked at then.
Hi, any update on this issue? i encountered twice with vibration. once when i was slowing down tapping on the brake. my right feet on the brake pedal could feel some vibration. is was not enough for the passenger or myself to feel it in the cabin but there was vibration passing though the brake pedal. on the 2nd occasion, I was accelerating not from complete stop but the car was slow moving anticipating the light will turn green.

there was once in the morning cold start when my left leg(I am from SG so is right hand drive) was resting on the transmission tunnel (not sure if i describe this correctly) i could feel vibration.

i am not able replicate it since than. told the dealer when i went in to replace the rear sunshade motor (there was some noise and they replace it) and was told it could be dirty throttle body.

my mileage is only 30,000km. i am guessing it is unlikely to be the spark plug. i have changed the air filter during the 20k servicing so that is not likely as well. i am suspecting ATF need to be replaced but the dealer here do not replace ATF when my mileage is so low.

i am shooting in the dark here pour a bottle of techron concentrate into the fuel tank a few days ago so lets see.
Old 05-20-14, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Hi, that is not normal. Is the car still idling at the same RPM as before?
Old 05-20-14, 07:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine will "vibrate" in the winter (or when it is below 50*), as the engine revs higher to heat up properly.
Old 05-20-14, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your issue sounds totally different than mine. My issue is purely an auditory one.

FYI, my issue is coming from the upholders, driver's side. If I press my right leg against the bolster on the side of the console it stops. I removed the bolster and if I push in on the side of the upholder it stops.
Old 05-20-14, 04:34 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather
Hi, that is not normal. Is the car still idling at the same RPM as before?
yes. everything else is ok. i dont see RPM fluctuating when idle or when the AC is on.
Old 05-20-14, 04:36 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Mine will "vibrate" in the winter (or when it is below 50*), as the engine revs higher to heat up properly.
i forgot to mention that in both instances, the car was at normal temp. in SG, we are at 34 degree C everday except in the early morning.
Old 05-20-14, 04:40 PM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Your issue sounds totally different than mine. My issue is purely an auditory one.

FYI, my issue is coming from the upholders, driver's side. If I press my right leg against the bolster on the side of the console it stops. I removed the bolster and if I push in on the side of the upholder it stops.
but something is vibrating causing this right?
Old 05-20-14, 10:13 PM
wvck
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue. I brought the car to the dealership two weeks ago and they notice the vibration when stop and in D mode. They went and check if the software needs upgrading but the software in my GS is up to date. They will escalate this to the lexus head office but I'm pretty sure they will do nothing about it. If someone knows the cause of this problem, please give me an update.
Old 05-21-14, 02:35 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by wvck
I have the same issue. I brought the car to the dealership two weeks ago and they notice the vibration when stop and in D mode. They went and check if the software needs upgrading but the software in my GS is up to date. They will escalate this to the lexus head office but I'm pretty sure they will do nothing about it. If someone knows the cause of this problem, please give me an update.
good luck. from what i read here, you guys in the US has much better support from dealers and Lexus than us here in SG. hope yours get resolved.
Old 05-21-14, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS250
but something is vibrating causing this right?
Its the cupholder unit itself that is vibrating. Its just the change in vibration amplitude when idling vs driving. I don't feel any unusual vibration when idling.
Old 05-22-14, 09:17 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
good luck. from what i read here, you guys in the US has much better support from dealers and Lexus than us here in SG. hope yours get resolved.
Hi bro, i'm from SG too. Driving a 250 F Sport. Same vibration issue on the steering wheel when in D or R mode. Went back to Borneo complain to them they said is normal. Ask them check engine mountings & transmission mounts they say nothing wrong also. Tested my friend's 350 also have vibration. Guess it really normal.

Juz thought Lexus should be super quiet & comfy shouldn't have this kind of vibration on steering when in D mode. Customer's Civic FD 1.8 vibration on steering also not so bad!

& I found out after the car reaches normal operating temperature, if I open the door step on brake & shift between D & R I can hear a motor whinning sound from under the car at the gearbox area. The sound very prominent! Shift to D it whines & stops, then from D shift to R it whines & stops. Next service will go back Borneo see what they say!

& our ATF Toyota WS (World Standard) in manual it says doesn't require replacement! WTH! Really???

Quick Reply: Vibration when in drive and stopped.