GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS F-sport, meets the Vossen Corvette Stingray at Palm Beach International Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Cool GS F-sport, meets the Vossen Corvette Stingray at Palm Beach International Raceway

Today is one of those days I'll always remember and I wanted to quickly start this thread while things were fresh. Vossen was invited to a private Corvette event at Palm Beach International Raceway where we brought the new Stingray out for some drag and racecourse fun. It is one of the first Stingray's modified and with the new lightweight forged Precision Series wheels. Big thanks to our friends at Redline Motorsports for making this happen and Driveline Studios.

This seemed like a great opportunity to bring the GS F-sport out and see what it could do.

The track was literally empty to use just the GS and the Stingray and use I did. As many of you know I've driven the GS at the "Tail of the Dragon" which is as had as it can get on a car on a public road but there is nothing like flooring it and braking it on a track. I've actually driven at the track before when the IS F debuted so I was familiar with it and it was funny to be back here in a new Lexus again.

I am utterly shocked at the handling capabilities of the GS F-sport. I have never had so much fun in a Lexus before, including driving the faster IS F at more than one road course. (LFA is in its own league). The GS
-F-sport
-optional rear steer
-Vossen CV4 20x9 and 20x10.5 wheels
-RSR "Down" springs
-Nitto Invo tires 245/35/20 and 285/30/20

The optional rear steer makes all the difference to me and if you are unaware it is now on the 2014 Porsche GT3. It makes you better (call it cheating ) and just those 2 degrees gave me much more capabilites in the turns and the balance and chassis of the car just makes you grin. It is an AMAZING car at the track in the turns for a big 4 door sedan. Every corner the car is begging to be pushed harder and you feel total control and never do you feel distant with the road. Acceleration in 2nd/3rd in the turns is good, I would like a higher redline but the GS did its job and hit its redline. Most of the time I did keep it in manual and DON'T FORGET to shift b/c the Lexus won't and it feels like a slug.

I now really can only imagine a GS F with more power. This chassis is amazing and on a course like this with 2 good size straights it feels underpowered. I topped out around 115 mph on the longer straight. Compared to the IS F though it just lacks the torque and power of a V-8 which would be awesome to have on the track.

The other thing was on the shorter turns, I got into some oversteer, just like with the Tail of the Dragon. Could be the tires but I nearly lost it a couple of times, luckily the GS really lets you get back in control without biting you in the rear.

The seats hold you in okay, not as good as the IS F or smaller cars with tighter seats.

I'll have some better pics up soon..here are some quick iPhone ones...

Compared to the Vette, I hit around 130 in the straight...Stingray has much more power 455hp and 2nd gear pulls serious in comparison. Its a much lower car so of course handling is more direct and better but I seemed to sway more in the car, maybe b/c I was able to push harder in it. I cannot say enough good things about the new Stingray, it is an amazing drive. The Vette has the new VPS wheels and the bushings have been adjusted to lower the car (the GS and Stingray suspensions are night and day difference). To think the GS F might have around 455hp.....oh joy

Manual Stingray FYIl

I know a few are disappointed I didn't go in depth with my Tail of the Dragon review so I wanted to get this up tonight while things are fresh.

I hope you enjoy and let me know any questions you have

Mike

By the grandstand

Scarlett takes a pic with her Vossen cousin the Project Stingray

Huge thanks to the great people at PBIR

Posing after some runs

I have a write-up coming on the Corvette Forums, I'll link tomorrow...here is a sneak peek

Last edited by LexFather; 10-16-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 08:34 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Damn that Corvette is sexy.........Yes the GS is sexy too.
Old 10-16-13, 08:46 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving on a track is a great experience. Where are the vids?
Old 10-16-13, 10:20 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be very interesting to see how the GS handles with the new Forged Precision series wheels.

Forged wheels reduce unsprung weight and can only help to improve the GS' already impressive handling abilities.
Old 10-21-13, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by elusive
Driving on a track is a great experience. Where are the vids?
Thanks..no vids for the GS..focus was on the Vette...

Originally Posted by natnut
It would be very interesting to see how the GS handles with the new Forged Precision series wheels.

Forged wheels reduce unsprung weight and can only help to improve the GS' already impressive handling abilities.
Indeed, I'm thinking of going with 21s maybe....but I do think 20s with a 2" drop is perfect.