GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Water Spots on Aluminum

Old 07-28-17, 07:35 AM
DucatiMann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots on Aluminum

Hello All,

I have been following this forum religiously and have since picked up a 2013 GS350 F-Sport. I absolutely love the car and am excited to drive around in it every day.

One thing that has really bothered me with the car, is that the aluminum trim seems to have what looks like water spots on it on the passenger side. It almost looks as if it is etched into the trim. I have tried to clean it off with a few different cleaners to no avail. Any suggestions?

I am also curious as to what people have their audio settings set to. I have ML and the bass even on the middle setting seems pretty high when listening to some music. Is there a sweet spot for the sound adjustments? Should I have surround on? Should my setting be centered for where the volume comes from? I love the sound as it is crystal clear, but sometimes I feel like I need to turn it up a bit but am very cautious about blowing the speakers.

Thanks in advance! You got me through the 2 month long buying process and I feel like I knew more about my car than the previous owner did before I even bought it.

-E
Old 07-28-17, 01:24 PM
Amazon
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiMann
Hello All,

I have been following this forum religiously and have since picked up a 2013 GS350 F-Sport. I absolutely love the car and am excited to drive around in it every day.

One thing that has really bothered me with the car, is that the aluminum trim seems to have what looks like water spots on it on the passenger side. It almost looks as if it is etched into the trim. I have tried to clean it off with a few different cleaners to no avail. Any suggestions?

I am also curious as to what people have their audio settings set to. I have ML and the bass even on the middle setting seems pretty high when listening to some music. Is there a sweet spot for the sound adjustments? Should I have surround on? Should my setting be centered for where the volume comes from? I love the sound as it is crystal clear, but sometimes I feel like I need to turn it up a bit but am very cautious about blowing the speakers.

Thanks in advance! You got me through the 2 month long buying process and I feel like I knew more about my car than the previous owner did before I even bought it.

-E
For the trim etching i used some old master formula metal gloss polish and then used the sealer gloss.Works Perfectly
Old 07-28-17, 01:46 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Current sweet spot that seems to be a general works-for-all set of settings. Pure audiophiles will probably object but all of our ears hear a little differently.

Water Spots on Aluminum-photo510.jpg

Water Spots on Aluminum-photo225.jpg
Old 07-31-17, 08:53 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

For the audio settings I have Treble at 3 clicks to the right, Mid also at 3 clicks to the right and Bass all the way to the right. I also have the fader 1 click to the rear. I personally turned the surround OFF. I have better surround with it off than I do with it on. The center channel drowns out all the other speakers when surround is on in my opinion.
Old 07-31-17, 10:45 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiMann
Hello All,

-E
did you try using an all metal cleaner.. if that doesn't work maybe something spilled on it and burned in to the finish
Old 08-03-17, 11:07 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Current sweet spot that seems to be a general works-for-all set of settings. Pure audiophiles will probably object but all of our ears hear a little differently.

Attachment 421126

Attachment 421145
Those are my exact settings! LOL