GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ios7 and Messaging/Contacting/Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 10:20 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ios7 and Messaging/Contacting/Navigation

Greetings everone. Well, I am learning that contrary to what Lexus told me a few weeks ago, the new operating system for iphones-ios 7, does NOT support returning a text message already in our system (15 of them) or allowing our contacts who call us to have their pictures come up on our 12 inch screen. SAD!!!!!!! Worse, now Lexus and Apple have agreed to iOS in 2014 Lexus vehicles so you can use SIRI Eyes Free. Lexus experts tell me that our 2013 firmware can be adjusted for SIRI EYES FREE if the Powers to be would agree to it at Lexus headquarters. Right now they chose to make our system obsolete after only one year when in past they updated every three of four years. This is Apple's way of using hands free to respond to texts and emails without opening their security issue on the 4s,5,or 5s phones. Lexus Techs tell me that the only way we can have firmware updated is to complain to Customer Service. at 1-800-255-3987. As for me, I may have to go to Samsung Galaxy S 4 which does allow everything except receive and respond to emails. Let me know whay you are finding out.
Old 09-24-13, 11:34 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually told by them that the hardware was different. The next tech on the phone said Lexus had updated the cars Bluetooth hardware from last year. To which I asked in what way. He couldn't answer and I was given a differenct excuse. Simply, I was disappointed to see that they were just playing games. I may call again like you and request them to retrofit newer software on our cars. It's not like this is a difficult task. As I explained to them on the phone, I can update a $500 phone, but not a 60k car? That doesn't make sense when the hardware is identical and software being the only differentiating factor.

Like you said, probably a agreement with apple. But if they offered me a $50-100 upgrade option, I'd likely still even pay as the safety of the eyes free tech is worthwhile in my opinion.
Old 09-24-13, 12:35 PM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
But if they offered me a $50-100 upgrade option, I'd likely still even pay as the safety of the eyes free tech is worthwhile in my opinion.
I bet it'd be $200-$300 minimum once you factor in a convenience upgrade cost, plus the dealer ($$$) install time, especially if there are multiple software updates needed. Maybe that's what they meant by a change to Bluetooth?
Old 09-24-13, 12:37 PM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM
Greetings everone. Well, I am learning that contrary to what Lexus told me a few weeks ago, the new operating system for iphones-ios 7, does NOT support returning a text message already in our system (15 of them) or allowing our contacts who call us to have their pictures come up on our 12 inch screen. SAD!!!!!!!.
Yap. Next time, ask someone with developer access and you'll be less disappointed (maybe...). I'm not sure who told you it would, but in none of the betas did Apple ever add support for either of these two capabilities.
Old 09-24-13, 05:57 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

This subject came up in another discussion, the problem here is NOT with Lexus. Texting and Emailing works perfect on Android. Apple is the one that is NOT Implementing MAP (Message Access Profile) which is needed by the Bluetooth device to communicate with the phone. Call Apple and complain!!!
Old 09-25-13, 10:35 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

I received a letter from Lexus that since the new IOS 7 will be coming out and that they are working diligently to update their software to accommodate the new operating system. So I guess we'll see.
Old 09-25-13, 11:37 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I don't really care about their apps. iRadio works on the bluetooth connection and that is all I need. I know Apple's walled garden gets a lot of flack and many times it is due. But there are other times where things come together beautifully. iRadio is one of those things.
Old 09-25-13, 12:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm wondering why we haven't gotten any more apps in the app suite as of now. When is that gonna happen?
Old 09-25-13, 06:04 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Default Updates to MAP Problem and Apple Products

Here is the latest. Spoke with the head tech person with Lexus in California. New software and firmware updates as well as Gracenote for music mid-October 2013. You can order these updates after October 7, 2013.Will enhance our 2013 GS series. Also, the tech department has updated software so once approved by the big boys at Lexus, they can turn on Eyes Free Siri for our 2013 GS series. Our hardware is the same for 2014 except new software. Our hardware is state of the art and is programmable. They anticipate turning on the Eyes Free Siri as a download software sometime in January or February 2014. Keep calling the customer service number because plenty of us are complaining and Lexus concerned. Yes, you are right, it is not Lexus but Apple refusing to open the MAP.
Old 09-25-13, 07:46 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I'm wondering why we haven't gotten any more apps in the app suite as of now. When is that gonna happen?
I too would like to know. But what else would you want? maybe access to gmail...

Originally Posted by JAM
Here is the latest. Spoke with the head tech person with Lexus in California. New software and firmware updates as well as Gracenote for music mid-October 2013. You can order these updates after October 7, 2013.Will enhance our 2013 GS series. Also, the tech department has updated software so once approved by the big boys at Lexus, they can turn on Eyes Free Siri for our 2013 GS series. Our hardware is the same for 2014 except new software. Our hardware is state of the art and is programmable. They anticipate turning on the Eyes Free Siri as a download software sometime in January or February 2014. Keep calling the customer service number because plenty of us are complaining and Lexus concerned. Yes, you are right, it is not Lexus but Apple refusing to open the MAP.
I hope this is true and we will be able to get Siri in our cars
Old 09-25-13, 08:39 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Jam, that's great news. Is this going to have some price associated with it or is Lexus treating this as a software update under warranty?

And when you say as a download update, is this through the Enform app into the car?
Old 09-27-13, 08:30 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JAM
How do you order the updates - from the dealer?
Old 09-28-13, 11:09 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Must order the software and firmware as well as Grace Note Software updates from dealer starting on Octover 7, 2013. You must preorder and they are available starting October 15, 2013. The possible download update to open up the Eyes Off Siri will be available January/February 2014 also from Dealer. There is a cost but do not know what? I complained last year so much that dealer gave me all the updates FREE. Does not hurt to ask if you are a good customer.
Old 10-03-13, 11:17 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Since I updated to ios 7, not reading messages either. Suggested I repair. No help. Any ideas?
Old 10-04-13, 06:54 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Default ios 7

I can still read or hear messages even with ios 7 software. What is different is that you no longer have option to click REPLY to a MESSAGE and get the message ERROR IN COMMUNICATION. But asking the new SIRI to respond to the text message on your system using Bluetooth is easier and more intuitive until we can get Eyes Off SIRI in January.

Quick Reply: ios7 and Messaging/Contacting/Navigation