GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice/Recommendations Sought on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 07:43 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice/Recommendations Sought on Wheels

I confess I've never modded a car. I tend to drive stock only, as long as it contains every feature and option I'm looking for. I don't want to have to add anything. But since I picked up 4GS (non-FSport), I've been thinking about enhancing the look with a new set of wheels. I have the standard 19" wheels and Michelin tires. I don't particularly care for the F-Sport front end (I'm a somewhat conservative corporate type guy). I do have a rear deck spoiler, which I guess is my only "mod?" Still, it's such a drop dead beautiful car in Meteor Blue Mica, I can't help but think I could snazzy it up --but NOT pimp it out-- with some designer wheels. The trouble is, I don't know anything about wheels. Until I Googled over the weekend, I couldn't name a single wheel manufacturer. I checked out the following website (link below) that contains a ton of different wheels and wheel manufacturers. I have no idea what to pick, what would make sense, and what would look good. The Dub company seems a bit too pimped out for me. That's the only conclusion I've come to, but some of the other companies products seem okay. I'm open on price range but prefer under 1K per wheel. Any recommendations? Oh yeah, I prefer to keep my 19" tires. I don't want bigger ones. Mine are big enough.

Late note: I should add what I mean by "pimped out." I don't like wild colors; I don't like black wheels; I don't want wheels with interior spinners. But I want something more noticeable than the usual five spokes. Thanks.

http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-gs-3...heels/19-inch/

Last edited by Trek; 09-23-13 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 08:35 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

There is actually a thread dedicated to different wheels 4GS owners have I believe. If I can find it I'll post a link.
Old 09-23-13, 09:03 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Is there a website on the Internet where a user can click on a set of wheels and immediately see what they would look like mounted on a car? Frankly, any car would do for me, preferably a darker color.
Old 09-23-13, 09:08 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Tirerack.com actually offers this service. They're pretty thorough too. You can choose your exact car color.
Old 09-23-13, 09:32 AM
bean006
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Tirerack.com actually offers this service. They're pretty thorough too. You can choose your exact car color.
I agree with yardie876, I visit Tirerack.com often. I also visit victoriatire.com for research.
Old 09-23-13, 11:42 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Thanks guys, on my way to Tirerack.com!
Old 09-23-13, 12:24 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You may want some TSW wheels, they have some nice conservative designs and not too expensive.
Old 09-23-13, 12:31 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I think yours comes with 18 (optional) or 17, not 19. If you have 18 and want a classy look for your profile, you may want to check out the luxury wheels. They make both silver and graphite finish. I don't think you can find a good set of wheels under 1K to meet what you want. I find replacing wheels on 4GS one of the hardest things to do to please the eyes. Some wheels look great but not so much when they're on the car. Good luck!
Old 09-23-13, 01:30 PM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

personally i like the 18" double 5 spoke rims that come on the car from the luxury package.
Old 09-23-13, 01:35 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I think yours comes with 18 (optional) or 17, not 19. If you have 18 and want a classy look for your profile, you may want to check out the luxury wheels. They make both silver and graphite finish. I don't think you can find a good set of wheels under 1K to meet what you want. I find replacing wheels on 4GS one of the hardest things to do to please the eyes. Some wheels look great but not so much when they're on the car. Good luck!
You are correct! I have 18s. I went out and looked at them and that's what it says on the window sticker which I saved. I went on the Tirerack.com site. What the heck is "backspacing" and "offsets?" 35mm, 40mm, 45mm??? What is all that? How am I supposed to know?

Late note: There is so much I don't know. What's the best surface? Paint, chrome plated, or machined? I have no clue how to decide something like that.

Last edited by Trek; 09-23-13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 03:29 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
You are correct! I have 18s. I went out and looked at them and that's what it says on the window sticker which I saved. I went on the Tirerack.com site. What the heck is "backspacing" and "offsets?" 35mm, 40mm, 45mm??? What is all that? How am I supposed to know?

Late note: There is so much I don't know. What's the best surface? Paint, chrome plated, or machined? I have no clue how to decide something like that.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...els-tires.html

The link above show various wheels on the GS. Note that the offsets are specific to lowered cars. When a car is lowered, the wheel/tire assembly moves inboard due to the design of the suspension geometry. If you don't plan to lower your car, your offsets become more positive.

3 piece wheels have the most flexibility in terms of choices in diameters, widths and offsets. One piece wheels are generally less expensive because the manufacturers build "common" sizes that can be used on mulitple vehicles.
Old 09-23-13, 04:40 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terrycs
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...els-tires.html

The link above show various wheels on the GS. Note that the offsets are specific to lowered cars. When a car is lowered, the wheel/tire assembly moves inboard due to the design of the suspension geometry. If you don't plan to lower your car, your offsets become more positive.

3 piece wheels have the most flexibility in terms of choices in diameters, widths and offsets. One piece wheels are generally less expensive because the manufacturers build "common" sizes that can be used on mulitple vehicles.
Holy crap, this is complicated! 3-piece wheels? I didn't know there was such a thing! I thought all wheels were one piece. Why would a wheel have 3 pieces?

No, I don't plan on messing with the suspension or lowering the car or any of that stuff. I'm not into "customizing" for a certain look. I just want more attractive wheels. I still have no idea what an offset is or what it does. Is it a piece of the wheel or the fender?
Old 09-24-13, 11:17 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Holy crap, this is complicated! 3-piece wheels? I didn't know there was such a thing! I thought all wheels were one piece. Why would a wheel have 3 pieces?

No, I don't plan on messing with the suspension or lowering the car or any of that stuff. I'm not into "customizing" for a certain look. I just want more attractive wheels. I still have no idea what an offset is or what it does. Is it a piece of the wheel or the fender?
You can find some info here:

http://www.wheelwright.co.uk/knowled.../fitment-guide
Old 09-25-13, 09:35 PM
project328
Rookie

I would also reference the vossen recommended sizing and tire sizing! They post their offsets and you can gauge from that.
Old 09-27-13, 02:41 PM
Trek
Pole Position

I can't trust mail order. I need to see these fancy wheels in person and touch them. Also, I need to find someone to take my tires off the factory wheels and put the new ones on. Where the heck do I go living in the Lehigh Valley, PA? Where can I find a showroom within an hour's drive that sells the Modulare, Vossen, and other fancy brands and puts them on your car, too?

Quick Reply: Advice/Recommendations Sought on Wheels