GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally discovered the A/C button

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 03:31 PM
XBimR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally discovered the A/C button

Not the one in the menu, but a way to turn the A/C on and off via physical button. Some of you may know this, figured I would post for those like me who missed an actual A/C button.

Right under the hazard button is the button for fresh or recirculating air, with an "auto" in the middle. I had always assumed this worked with the main auto setting, which it does. However pushing it multiple times will also turn off and on the A/C! Try it out. Yes, I am excited about this as this was one of the few things that annoyed me about the car.
Old 09-17-13, 06:42 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XBimR
Not the one in the menu, but a way to turn the A/C on and off via physical button. Some of you may know this, figured I would post for those like me who missed an actual A/C button.

Right under the hazard button is the button for fresh or recirculating air, with an "auto" in the middle. I had always assumed this worked with the main auto setting, which it does. However pushing it multiple times will also turn off and on the A/C! Try it out. Yes, I am excited about this as this was one of the few things that annoyed me about the car.
I thought that re-circ auto setting only controlled the a/c system switching between cabin re-circ or letting in outside air... If you have it on auto, the system will swap modes depending on whether the filter picks up pollen, etc., in the incoming air or if trying to cool down quickly from a high internal temp. I have not noticed that it turns the a/c compressor on or off (but may have missed it or not pressed the button enough).

The large auto button of course controls whether the whole a/c system is in auto or manual mode.
Old 09-17-13, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My A/C is always in Auto mode and it never automatically switches from Recirc to Fresh air without my doing it manually. This is the first car I've ever had this experience with and it is annoying. Any suggestions? Maybe it is faulty?
Old 09-17-13, 11:23 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to go into menu mode to turn on and off the AC. If you turn it off in the menu and you press auto, you will not get AC. If your nav system is broken (like mine), you will not gain access to switch the AC on/off. Better to leave it on just in case your NAV dies in the future.
Old 09-18-13, 10:33 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XBimR

Thanks a million!

After driving this car for almost 20k miles I finally know how to turn the AC on and off with a button!

But here's the catch. AUTO temp must not be used (no green light on AUTO), turn on your fan to any speed, use the menu to turn off the AC button.

Now go the button mentioned above (under hazard button with auto/rec/fresh settings). The only setting that turns on the AC is when both auto and recirc is both activated (green light lit). Once you cycle to fresh AC is turned off. Press same button twice to reactivate AC, and once to turn off.

To me I never put the climate in AUTO and control the temp with temp and fan speed. I activate the AC when needed. The above method works for me.
Old 09-18-13, 10:36 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
You have to go into menu mode to turn on and off the AC. If you turn it off in the menu and you press auto, you will not get AC. If your nav system is broken (like mine), you will not gain access to switch the AC on/off. Better to leave it on just in case your NAV dies in the future.
What happened to your nav?
Old 09-18-13, 10:47 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
What happened to your nav?
Some wires are lose. When I hit bumps or shift lever from park to drive, the nav freaks out or shutsoff. I turned my AC off and wasn't able to turn it back on without going through the menu system. I guess there are methods to turn AC on (as mentioned a few post above).

I haven't taken it in yet because it doesn't bother me. I rarely use the nav.

Anyhow, thanks to the previous poster for posting various ways to use the AC system.
Old 10-08-13, 06:29 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

You know I tried this and it works. You have to start with the AC off though I think. Then in Auto recirc/fresh air mode the AC comes back on. Select recirc mode and AC shuts itself off.
Old 10-10-13, 08:17 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Great find!
Old 10-10-13, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I used it today too!
Old 10-11-13, 07:36 PM
GSFSport13