GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 11:42 AM
danspeeple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Welcome to the forum Dan. Not sure if you're just trolling for a reaction or have a genuine complaint about the Nav system in the GS350. If you want to complain about a Nav system, I would suggest you try the one in the BMW or in the Mercedes. The one in the Lexus blows them both away. And I also have a Garmin I used to use in another car. While it worked very well as a small portable unit, it wasn't in the same category as the Nav system in the Lexus. Every review in the major auto mags have raved about the Lexus nav system. It does require reading the manual to use it intelligently though. I guess you just can't please everyone.
NO I am not just trolling for a reaction and if you were in my car the other day with me you wouldn't suggest for me to read the manual to use it intelligently.

I was traveling to where I knew very well and was testing this Unit to see how intelligent it was and after I set it to take me through the fwy and punched in the address etc etc. It kept directing me to drive on a local street for 4.7 miles before a turn while the fwy was just a turn on the next street or I could catch it on the next two streets. (By the way the address that I was going to, is right at the same fwy EXIT) I pulled over and deleted the destination and started it all over, and again it kept on directing me to the same local street so I called the assist and she came on and located the address and sent it to my car. SAME PROBLEM. so, I ignored the Nav and made a turn to the fwy. and on the fwy This Nav system was still asking me to exit from the fwy and go on the local street. I totally ignored it and drove on the fwy and it was about half of a mile to my destination that it recognized where I was then said to exit and turn left. DARN!!! what is this? after driving about 4 miles? This is not the first time and I don't think it'll be the last time unless the maps are updated or something. I don't care about what the reviews say I am the one who paid for the Nav system and it didn't work for me. I think my intelligence was insulted by you suggesting that "It does require reading the manual to use it intelligently"

Last edited by danspeeple; 08-21-13 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 12:11 PM
wayner
Rookie

Originally Posted by LouG
The only thing I can add to the topic is that I wish manufacturers would still provide NAV as an option and not as a must-have due to the dash design. I'll take good old-fashioned buttons and ***** along with my iPhone's Google Maps any day of the week. I can see why some people really like having NAV as the more recent screens are very nice, but how many people really use the screen for its maps purposes on a regular basis, justifying it's probably $2,000 price tag?
I agree completely - I wish they would just come up with a port where you can plug in an iPad or an iPad mini - you would get better functionality at a fraction of the price and they could still make some money for it if they were able to integrate some of the other car controls into an app. And an app like Waze has far more "smarts" then the Lexus system, even when you get traffic info from SiriusXM.

My 2013 GS has some of the best NAV/electronics of any car but I personally think it is very mediocre compared to smartphones and tablets. If I had learned more about the Tesla S 8 months ago before I bought my car I bought have gone with the Tesla, primarily for the far better in-car electronics than what is in my GS.
Old 08-21-13, 12:24 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I've had problems with the mapping algorithm used by the Lexus navigation system. I've been directed to use one lane dirt roads even when plenty of major paved roads are available. I've never had similar issues with a Garmin navigation system.
Old 08-21-13, 12:27 PM
wayner
Rookie

Here in Toronto our main highways have a Express/Collector lane system and in my experience the Lexus nav doesn't understand this too well.
Old 08-21-13, 02:44 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danspeeple
I....punched in the address etc etc. It kept directing me to drive on a local street for 4.7 miles before a turn while the fwy was just a turn on the next street or I could catch it on the next two streets.... I pulled over and deleted the destination and started it all over, and again it kept on directing me to the same local street so I called the assist and she came on and located the address and sent it to my car. SAME PROBLEM. so, I ignored the Nav and made a turn to the fwy. and on the fwy This Nav system was still asking me to exit from the fwy and go on the local street.
No insult intended. Did you check the Alternate Routes during any of this time? When I punch in a destination it gives me a choice of routes to select. If I just press "GO" I am selecting the Recommended Route. It will normally give me 3 choices, the Recommended Route, and at least 2 other Alternate Routes, usually based on "shortest distance" or "shortest time." These 3 routes can be radically different. As that big thick Navigation Manual that came with your car points out, you have many options in route selection. It is worth reading. The Lexus Nav provides many options and advantages that puts your Garmin to shame. Granted the Garmin is simple to use. The Lexus Nav requires some study to utilize all of it's options.
Old 08-21-13, 04:08 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjm
No insult intended. Did you check the Alternate Routes during any of this time? When I punch in a destination it gives me a choice of routes to select. If I just press "GO" I am selecting the Recommended Route. It will normally give me 3 choices, the Recommended Route, and at least 2 other Alternate Routes, usually based on "shortest distance" or "shortest time." These 3 routes can be radically different. As that big thick Navigation Manual that came with your car points out, you have many options in route selection. It is worth reading. The Lexus Nav provides many options and advantages that puts your Garmin to shame. Granted the Garmin is simple to use. The Lexus Nav requires some study to utilize all of it's options.
This is true. I have tested this and on several occasions the alternate routes are better than the recommended route (shorter distance, or less traffic). Can't let the car do ALL the thinking...
Old 08-22-13, 05:57 AM
richcobb
Driver School Candidate

I am also disappointed with the navigation system. Route planning doesn’t (effectively) take in to account route speeds or is simply wrong, I’m not sure which. On a recent trip to Cooperstown, NY from Westchester County, NY, where I live, the planned route took me across I84 to the NYS Thruway then north to Albany where I was to connect to I88 and head west to Cooperstown. This route was almost 50 miles longer than using the Taconic State Parkway and then taking Route 82 and Route 23 through the upper Catskills. My TomTom Go LIVE 2535 planned this trip correctly. Crazy routings are routine with the GS nav. Traffic data are not as good as the TomTom's HD traffic either.

Lexus should license the TomTom technology. I’ve been using it for two years and it’s outstanding (although there are some other TomTom weaknesses, the route guidance is spot-on most of the time.)
Old 08-22-13, 09:30 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Could it be this by design?

I've heard rumors that businesses, etc., have established arrangements with manufacturers of GPS systems and their databases to provide directional information to get you into an area where that particular business has a footprint so that you'll drop your hard-earned cash, etc. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it were true.
Old 08-23-13, 01:16 PM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wayner
I agree completely - I wish they would just come up with a port where you can plug in an iPad or an iPad mini - you would get better functionality at a fraction of the price and they could still make some money for it if they were able to integrate some of the other car controls into an app. And an app like Waze has far more "smarts" then the Lexus system, even when you get traffic info from SiriusXM.

My 2013 GS has some of the best NAV/electronics of any car but I personally think it is very mediocre compared to smartphones and tablets. If I had learned more about the Tesla S 8 months ago before I bought my car I bought have gone with the Tesla, primarily for the far better in-car electronics than what is in my GS.
I actually test drove the Tesla S (their most powerful P85+ model, which costs 100K+) before purchasing the GS450h and I can assure you you are not missing on much. I wanted to test drive the 60 model as that was closer to (though still above) my budget, but it wasn't available at the time. In any case, I can tell you there is no reason to buy a Tesla other than if you just want to own an electric car. And in that case I agree it is probably the best one you can buy at this time, the electric Merc SLS notwithstanding.
But I think what most people don't realize (I didn't either) is how stripped out the Tesla is. To give you a few examples -
- there is no center console, just an oddly shaped plastic tray in its place.
- the interior materials have no premium feel to them
- the back seat belongs to something like a civic/corolla. It basically is lightly padded bench.
- The inside door handles are nothing more than "kinks" in the door trim
- Has panorama roof which can not be covered (the salesperson claimed the glass cuts out 80-90% of the light, but still).
- The cup holders are probably the worst I have seen and practically useless as they are placed right where your elbow goes when driving (I think this just shows their inexperience with car design).

Basically the whole interior is as spartan as one could imagine, except for the huge screen in the dash, which IMO is quite aesthetically challenged. And there is good reason for the pauper interior - weight saving. Their primary goal was to overcome the biggest challenge electric cars face today, range.
There are a few good things about it though -
- It looks awesome - probably one of the best looking sedans, looks much better in person (IMO, of course).
- has lots of interior space/leg room
- was recently rated as the safest car ever tested
- you get car pool lane access at least in CA (this could be a big plus for some).
- and of course will cost a fraction of gas cars to run and maintain, but you are paying a big premium to purchase it.

But for most people spending $70K+ on a car, I would assume a luxurious interior is very important (it certainly would be for most of us Lexus buyers). So even if you had known about the Tesla 8 months ago, it is very likely you wouldn't have bought it (I know I'm making an assumption) , surely not just for a better navigation :-). Tesla is certainly doing very well (meaning better than expected) and it has its niche market, just like stripped out sports cars do, but for most buyers electric cars are still too expensive for what they offer, even after the tax credits.
Old 08-23-13, 01:23 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found this nav to be superior to the one in my old Pioneer AVIC Z120BT I had in my Infiniti. The AVIC display was much better (3D), but it had longer position lag and took far longer to calculate routes and update routes.

On a few occasions, I have been surprised by the routing the Lexus nav created, but it was because I had some preferences set incorrectly in the set up (ie, avoid freeways).
Old 08-23-13, 02:10 PM
FastHybrid
Driver School Candidate

I also agree the Lexus Nav system, even though adequate, is lacking advanced features which have been available on other brands for quite some time, like 3D maps, lane guidance, integration with google maps (I know this is a more recent development). In general, the whole interface and display feels a bit dated. For example, I don't see much difference in the Nav interface between my '13 450h and '02 430, except of course for voice commands.

I would actually say that the features/UI of the whole infotainment system (including the ML audio system) has been seriously crippled by the poor software. It could have been made so much better with the beautiful 12" screen, but the software always treats it as split-screen (the only thing that uses the whole screen is the main menu). I would really talk to their software design team to know what they were thinking.
Even the Lexus Enform is quite basic with only semi-useful app (for me) being bing, but even that has been restricted to search in specific categories only.
I really hope they change their software partners and come up with some good updates. Btw, does Lexus provide updates for previous year models or the new software version goes only to the new models?

As for people seeing weird routing, have you checked your preferences about what roads to avoid.

Last edited by FastHybrid; 08-23-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its all what you're used to. We have Garmin nav in the Jeep and have used it with portables in rentals, my wife and I both hate it and much prefer the Lexus system. Its basically the same system we've used for years.

We find the route guidance choices with the Garmin pretty wacky at times, and have had exactly the same experience you have had with the Garmin nav, it insisting we stay off the highway.
Old 08-23-13, 06:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Voice command is fail.
Old 08-23-13, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

On the GS? I think its okay.
Old 08-24-13, 08:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
While I was in Dallas, we wanted to find a place to eat and was told about an Applebee's in the area. I tried to get it to come up on the list of POI's but no luck. 4 cars were held up waiting for me to find it.. We ended up using Google on my girlfriend's cell phone.. I was not happy that the POI list would not see outside of a 2 mile range.. I know I need to practice
Someone driving a Lexus probably can't access Applebees. (J/K, I eat there too.)

Quick Reply: Navigation System