GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

JoeZ Full Exhaust video / sound clip (interior and exterior)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 09:48 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike, I sent you a PM.
Old 09-28-13, 02:59 PM
mikec78
Driver

I posted this information to a different thread and thought I would keep all my personal exhaust thread information here:

This is from my 2013 GS350 F-Sport with the FULL exhaust, X-pipe and all....

I thought a few of you would be interested in this since everyone talks about "drone". I don't remember who said it in this thread, but any performance exhaust will have drone...unless you figure out a way to silence it (with a resonator - but then why get the "x" pipes)...Or you can try putting some sound deadening all over your car (that could be another option)...I digress...

I just took my car for a spin up a pretty long hill by my house with a 7% grade (this way my foot would be on the gas most of the time). I strapped the GoPro to my steering column so I could measure the RPM levels and speed while my dB reader was recording all the data. I calibrated my dB meter before I left the house and had my laptop running the report while I was driving. The dB meter was sitting on the arm rest and didn't move. I had the car in Sport+ mode for 95% of the time (though no difference was had in the "drone" in regular or Sport+ mode), no AC on (which sucked), windows up...etc. Enough of the words...here is the graph of the raw data with some details...

** I have some sound deadening that I am going to try in phases in the car to see if I can get the dB levels down another 15-20dB (just to see if there is a way, as the mileage with people have varied from all different forums out there). It will take me a few months as I am traveling a lot, so I hope to post things in phases as I see what works and what doesn't work if anything...Either way, I love the exhaust so THANKS JOE Z for building this for us !!!!

The resonance frequency is about 134Hz at around 2000rpm's....but that still doesn't tell us where it enters the cabin - I agree. My assumption is that it enters from all over and I am going to start with the trunk and work my way inside. (Trunk to start, then remove back seats second, then third remove the flooring). Hopefully the trunk will be the money spot and possibly the back seat at the most.
From what I can see there are vent's inside the trunk on both sides of the wheel wells (assumption is to let fumes vent from inside to outside of the car (if a gas leak or something)?? - don't know though. Therefore to me, that is a prime spot for the noise to leak inside. Then after further inspection the back seat insulation is totally crappy, so I am going to apply a sound deadening insulation to the back seat. (there is a ton of space to add this) There wouldn't be any pattern to follow, just cover all the areas that could possibly leak inside the cabin - that's where I am going to start.

This process will take time as I have non right now and will do little steps on the weekends...measure results on the same drive and see what happens.
1) dynamat entire trunk = (THIS IS DONE)
2) sound deadening rubber (over wheel wells and flooring) = Been lazy and need to do this (maybe this weekend)
3) sound deadening insulation (behind back seat to start) = (THIS IS DONE)

We will see what happens...
Old 09-28-13, 03:11 PM
mikec78
Driver

Here is the phase one of the entire trunk plus the phase 3 insulation installation:

1) I used RoadBlockR for the "dynamat" as I looked over the specifications and contacted a distributer to get more information. I am SUPER happy with the product and it is great to work with <http://www.roadblockr.com/products.php>. I know people prefer different companies (Dynamat, SecondSkin, etc.) - I went with RoadBlockR and am happy with it, end of story = http://www.soundproofcow.com/RoadBlo...-Material.html

I actually went through "Soundproofcow" to order all the stuff you will see in these photos...

RoadBlockR installation: ** I used 3 sheets and ordered 5. I haven't done the trunk lid yet as an FYI **

** I could add more in the gaps, though I was up for a good 6 hours a fews weeks back and felt I did enough (for now). **

For the phase 3 (sound deadening insulation - behind back seat and sides):
This is what I used:
http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-B...nsulation.html

The next phase will be sound deadening rubber that I will add as a "sheet" to the back seat in the trunk and over the tire wells: http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-B...ial-Sheet.html

More to come of on this project...
Old 09-28-13, 04:00 PM
mikec78
Driver

So I had some fun with Joe today at PTS playing around with the stock mufflers while keeping the mid-pipe and X-pipe sections.

** SIDE NOTE: I know there are other types of performance exhausts out there, though when you see the quality that PTS puts into these exhausts and the minor details they don't overlook, you can't find anything better than JoeZ Performance stuff...I would ask you to compare the flanges of other exhausts out there to Joe's and also the mufflers he builds are welded not crimped...I can go on and on...though once you get to see the details you will know/see the difference = I know people will have their opinions, and this is just mine = quality over anything else **

I wanted to share with you all the photos I took today and then I am going to post another sound clip with my GoPro to share with you the sound inside and outside. I was pretty amazed at the great sound that we still got from the stock mufflers, and there was still great performance gains (though if anyone knows where I can dyno it for free I will take them up on it...hahaha)

What people are probably asking and why...
Q) Why did you did this and why would you want to do this???
A) I am in outside sales and take customers around a lot for lunch, meetings, etc. And some have very nice exotic cars and love the performance sound, while others don't care for it too much. One can argue it is my car, so who cares...but I DO, because they pay my bills when they buy things from me...hahaha . I always wanted to gain power and have a better sound, though keep the cabin noise down (aka - drone as people call it).

So with a little tooling around here is what the photos look like: (sound clip will come shortly once I strap on the GoPro and take it for a spin)...plus I will use my dB meter and do another test up hill to showcase the meter readings, etc.

** you can get a good preview of the exhaust sound clip if you follow JoeZ Performance (@joezperformance) on instagram **

Front looking back (X-pipe, mid-pipe, stock exhaust):

Stock exhaust connecting to mid-pipe:
(one thing that we had to do is mill out the holes a little on the mid-pipe section as the bolts didn't align perfectly. Once we milled it out a little - it fit like a glove!!!)
[

Old 09-28-13, 10:00 PM
mikec78
Driver

Hey everyone...here is the video clip with these parts installed:
(windows are up, no A/C on, S+ mode, etc....)

1) X-Pipe
2) Mid-pipe
3) OEM stock mufflers

Last edited by mikec78; 09-28-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 10:20 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

I can't listen to your vid but I'll update when I do. I got mine installed yesterday and it sounds so sick when you accelerate. The cabin noise is pretty loud and I think it's all coming from the rear. I'm going to add egg crate like I mentioned to you and I think that will absorb some of the sound. Lexus didn't design their car to prevent exhaust noise so we gotta find a way to. I'll keep you posted.

Ask far as PTS/Joe Z's exhaust system, the quality is top notch. My guy that did my exhaust install even said that the welds are great and that they even took time to grind the inside of the pipe where the welds would leave dimples.
Anyway, this exhaust is the **** and well worth it.

Last edited by elusive; 09-28-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-28-13, 10:24 PM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by elusive
I can't listen to your vid but I'll update when I do. I got mine installed yesterday and it sounds so sick when you accelerate. The cabin noise is pretty loud and I think it's all coming from the rear. I'm going to add egg crate like I mentioned to you and I think that will absorb some of the sound. Lexus didn't design their car to prevent exhaust noise so we gotta find a way to. I'll keep you posted.

Ask far as PTS/Joe Z's exhaust system, the quality is top notch. My guy that did my exhaust install even said that the welds are great and that they even took time to grind the inside of the pipe where the welds would leave dimples.
Anyway, this is exhaust is the **** and well worth it.
I totally agree with you that this exhaust is the ****** and anything else out there is just a waist of money...They quality and time Joe and PTS put into each exhaust is amazing (and the welds are pretty close to perfect)...

Let me know how the egg crates go and take pictures of how you install them, etc. If you figure out how to quiet the cabin down and keep the full exhaust you are a magician ...hahaha...

Old 10-02-13, 01:46 PM
LAK1NGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks and sounds amazing! looking forward to doing mine, waiting for some pricing from JOE Z.. any idea how much $
Old 10-02-13, 02:11 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LAK1NGS
Looks and sounds amazing! looking forward to doing mine, waiting for some pricing from JOE Z.. any idea how much $
Here you go
Old 10-03-13, 08:55 AM
LAK1NGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Thank you but i was looking for the MID Pipe and X-Pipe Pricing, not the Ax Back or Full Cat.
Old 10-03-13, 01:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Thumbs up

Gread thread Mike...

Thank You for sharing your experience & videos..

Originally Posted by LAK1NGS
Thank you but i was looking for the MID Pipe and X-Pipe Pricing, not the Ax Back or Full Cat.
^^ Currently, we have made no formal annoucement on offering just this setup..
Mike happens to own the Full Catback System and he wanted to test out the setup with just his oem axle sections installed.

~ Joe Z
Old 10-04-13, 04:19 AM
HizGSF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec78
Hey everyone...here is the video clip with these parts installed:
(windows are up, no A/C on, S+ mode, etc....)

1) X-Pipe
2) Mid-pipe
3) OEM stock mufflers

JoeZ Performance (PTS) Exhaust (Full with OEM Mufflers) - YouTube
Hey, was the sound clip done after installing the noise dampening materials in the trunk?
Old 10-04-13, 08:23 PM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by HizGSF
Hey, was the sound clip done after installing the noise dampening materials in the trunk?
The second clip was with dynamat (roadblockr)and the sound proofing insulation behind the seats. Remember that the roadblockr isn't deadening. The deadening will come later
Old 10-05-13, 04:05 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

The stock mufflers & Joe Z mid pipe combo doesn't sound bad, but, of course, not as good as having the full exhaust. The good thing is that the cabin noise is like stock basically.
I ordered the 3" foam and it looks like it'll be here in 10 days. I'm going to cut it using the trunk mat as a template. I tried recording with my iPhone 5 but the mic sucks so I'll have to borrow a GoPro.
Old 10-05-13, 10:38 PM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by elusive
The stock mufflers & Joe Z mid pipe combo doesn't sound bad, but, of course, not as good as having the full exhaust. The good thing is that the cabin noise is like stock basically.
I ordered the 3" foam and it looks like it'll be here in 10 days. I'm going to cut it using the trunk mat as a template. I tried recording with my iPhone 5 but the mic sucks so I'll have to borrow a GoPro.
I agree the full exhaust sounds amazing...And if you get the 3" foam to work let me know. I completely filled my trunk with down pillows (jammed packed) and it helped a little, but not much - And I haven't played with the foam yet...

I can't wait to hear if it works or not...

Keep us posted!!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: JoeZ Full Exhaust video / sound clip (interior and exterior)